Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 08:59 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
No, just wrong. I think Tulsa has had two blizzards ever. Tulsa does average 8-9 inches of snow over an entire winter but generally there are no storms with more than 2-3 inches and any snow is gone the next day. It's common to have winters with entirely no snow. Most winter days are sunny with lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s. With climate change this last winter was the first in almost a decade with a snowfall of 3+ inches.
Agreed. The main difference between NE Oklahoma and east Texas in winter is 9 inches of snow vs. 1-2 inches of snow. That and NE Oklahoma is more likely to get stretches of days that it is cold (below 40 degrees) during the course of the typical winter. But this is counteracted by days with highs in the 60s in the winter.

I'd say that east Texas has more consistency in that 50s-60s degree range as opposed to getting those cold snaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 05:41 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Agreed. The main difference between NE Oklahoma and east Texas in winter is 9 inches of snow vs. 1-2 inches of snow. That and NE Oklahoma is more likely to get stretches of days that it is cold (below 40 degrees) during the course of the typical winter. But this is counteracted by days with highs in the 60s in the winter.

I'd say that east Texas has more consistency in that 50s-60s degree range as opposed to getting those cold snaps.
And I can't speak to Longview, but Tulsa to Dallas summer weather, Tulsa will usually have 5 or 6 days a year with temps above 100. Dallas will have 20-30. Tulsa is more humid, but is also more likely to have rainy stretches in the summer with highs in 70s or 80s. The heat isn't as constant in Tulsa vs Dallas. I'm not sure how different it is from Dallas to Longview.

Basically, it's about 5-10 degrees warmer in Dallas vs Tulsa year round. That makes for milder summers in Tulsa and milder winters in Dallas. Tulsa is a bit more humid and rainy which leads to Tulsa being greener. But then Dallas trees/grass don't go fully dormant in winter like they do in Tulsa.

Last edited by swake; 07-25-2021 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-25-2021, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
And I can't speak to Longview, but Tulsa to Dallas summer weather, Tulsa will usually have 5 or 6 days a year with temps above 100. Dallas will have 20-30. Tulsa is more humid, but is also more likely to have rainy stretches in the summer with highs in 70s or 80s. The heat isn't as constant in Tulsa vs Dallas. I'm not sure how different it is from Dallas to Longview.

Basically, it's about 5-10 degrees warmer in Dallas vs Tulsa year round. That makes for milder summers in Tulsa and milder winters in Dallas. Tulsa is a bit more humid and rainy which leads to Tulsa being greener. But then Dallas trees/grass don't go fully dormant in winter like they do in Tulsa.
Compare Longview or Tyler to Tulsa, not Dallas. Very different topography. Dallas is two hours or more of a drive from Longview.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:53 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
As you travel away from Dallas toward Longview, the humidity gradually picks up. More southern style hot humid weather in Longview than Dallas or Tulsa. Tulsa seems plenty hot but has a shorter summer. I have travelled to Bartlesville many times, which is just north of Tulsa. More variability in the summer weather than Longview, but still gets quite hot and humid at times.

Wintertime is a different animal in NE Oklahoma from East Texas. More snow and ice, colder temps for longer duration. Still not intolerable though. Longview has milder winters although I can't really say sunnier. It stays cloudy for days down there. I used to be an account service manager in the Longview market, although I live in Shreveport, La. One thing that will be quite different in NE Oklahoma from Longview will be more wind year round.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
One thing that will be quite different in NE Oklahoma from Longview will be more wind year round.
Surprisingly, according to this site, Longview is actually windier than Tulsa.

Longview, TX Weather - USA.comâ„¢

Tulsa, OK Weather - USA.comâ„¢

Never would have thought that.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Longview. Oklahoma, especially, the northern half is subject to more ice and snow than northeast Texas simply because its 225 miles higher latitude. The chances for a low pressure system to create snow and sleet and have colder temps will be greater up there. Longview will have lower odds of such weather events. BTW, I live in Dallas/Fort Worth have visited Oklahoma a number of times, including Tulsa.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Longview is more like rural Louisiana than TX. Its closest to Shreveport. Wasnt that show True Detective based in Shreveport?
Id go for Tulsa; more to do plus you can drive to KC/Metroplex if you want larger city entertainment
Dude, its almost 5 hours to K.C. from Tulsa. Longview to Dallas is half the distance, its twice as big as greater Kansas City, and has more upscale shopping/dining and entertainment. Plus, you can get to Austin AND Houston faster than driving to K.C from Tulsa.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Dude, its almost 5 hours to K.C. from Tulsa. Longview to Dallas is half the distance, its twice as big as greater Kansas City, and has more upscale shopping/dining and entertainment. Plus, you can get to Austin AND Houston faster than driving to K.C from Tulsa.
Tulsa has enough things that you wouldn't need to go to KC, OKC or Dallas as much as you'd need to go to Dallas or wherever from Longview. In Longview I'd imagine you might need to go to Tyler or Shreveport fairly routinely. In fact I'd say Tyler is a much better option than Longview for a number of reasons anyway.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:58 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Five hours? It's more like three and a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.