U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 08:49 PM

32 posts, read 15,345 times

Advertisements

Wanted to know cause I'm currently looking to move to either the Tulsa Area, Longview, or a small town in Oklahoma near Joplin, MO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 06:49 AM
Status: "I'm not young enough to know everything." (set 25 days ago)

58,997 posts, read 47,651,437 times
Why are you considering a move to Longview, TX? I live on the west side of Tyler and am very familiar with both Tyler and Longview. What's the draw to that town for you?

Old 07-21-2021, 12:54 PM

78 posts, read 82,259 times
To be honest, I’m not sure any of those places will have enough of a climate difference to have any meaningful impact on your life. NE Oklahoma might get cooler than East Texas in the winter. Perhaps Longview is more likely to have a rare December tornado than further north, but that’s about it.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:48 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,618,313 times
Climate isn't going to be a large difference between these two areas. One is a large town and the other is a city with a MSA of a million people.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:06 PM

2,736 posts, read 6,190,367 times
Longview is more like rural Louisiana than TX. Its closest to Shreveport. Wasnt that show True Detective based in Shreveport?
Id go for Tulsa; more to do plus you can drive to KC/Metroplex if you want larger city entertainment

Old 07-21-2021, 06:56 PM

343 posts, read 178,731 times
I'd go for Tulsa, OK. It's going to be a little milder climate wise. But I wouldn't wanna live in either, personally.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:55 PM

12,956 posts, read 9,243,948 times
East Texas is for sure milder in the winter than NE Oklahoma. The main difference is that it is consistently mild where NE Oklahoma can occasionally be a bear in the winter.

Conversely, summers are probably a few weeks shorter in NE Oklahoma in terms of 90+ type of weather.

To me the main difference is that that part of Texas is a pine forest so it stays green in the winter. NE Oklahoma is brown in winter because it is deciduous forest and not all of the area is forested like east Texas is.

Both areas are really nice. That part of Oklahoma is full of really nice lakes. There are probably eight big lakes within a couple of hours of each other. That part of Texas has some nice likes as well but the pine forest is just really pretty if you like pine forests.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:42 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
26,926 posts, read 11,027,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Longview is more like rural Louisiana than TX. Its closest to Shreveport. Wasnt that show True Detective based in Shreveport?
Id go for Tulsa; more to do plus you can drive to KC/Metroplex if you want larger city entertainment
No, first season of True Detective was set in Lafayette, LA

Old 07-24-2021, 01:54 PM

947 posts, read 421,447 times
You'll have blizzards and snow almost every year in the Green Country. Probably more like once a decade in Longview.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:47 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,618,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
You'll have blizzards and snow almost every year in the Green Country. Probably more like once a decade in Longview.
No, just wrong. I think Tulsa has had two blizzards ever. Tulsa does average 8-9 inches of snow over an entire winter but generally there are no storms with more than 2-3 inches and any snow is gone the next day. It's common to have winters with entirely no snow. Most winter days are sunny with lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s. With climate change this last winter was the first in almost a decade with a snowfall of 3+ inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.