Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times

Advertisements

As others have pointed out, you're probably going to have to compromise. I'd suggest southern CA except for the cost and the shortage of green landscape. Along the coast of northern CA and farther to the north, you'd find the lack of extreme weather, but the climate overall is kind of cool to expect to swim outdoors during half the year. The Northeast and Midwest, and much of the western interior, have colder winters than you want. In most areas far enough south to have swimming weather anwhere close to half the year, it's likely to have either 100-plus heat with some frequency (AZ and TX, for example) or high humidity (most areas in the southeastern states).

Since you've said you may be able to accept some humidity, I'd suggest Raleigh as another city in the South. You might also want to consider the Hampton Roads area in Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, and vicinity). If you find a place close enough to the coast, the summer heat and humidity may be tempered some by ocean breezes. Be aware, though, that anywhere east of the Mississippi is more humid than Colorado, and the South especially so. A place can be less humid than Florida and still be be quite humid. Also, in VA, NC, TN, or Atlanta, you're not likely to swim outdoors for six months out of the year, unless you're kind of hardy, but the swimming season will be significantly longer than it is in CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Hmm. Given your criteria, this will be a tough one. DC is lush and green, but very humid, and certainly not warm enough to swim outdoors 6 mo/yr (though you might get 4 mos). If you want the swimming and the green lush, I'd go with somewhere in the SE US, e.g. N. Carolina and points south.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM

78 posts, read 233,779 times
I'd say Charlotte or Atlanta. Good weather, we (in Charlotte) have a pool and start swimming early May and go through end of September. Mountains 2-3 hours to the west, and the beach 3-4 hours to the east. Very little snow if any. The schools are moving in the right direction. You can grow pretty much anything, I have 3 palms in my backyard and they are growing great and a vegetable garden. Great banking industry, and so much more. An international airport. You can get a house inside the city limits for what you are looking for, although you'll pay for the location in taxes, my guess for a $300K house about $3500-5000 a year. You can get a house outside the limits and still have access to the city for less. Cabarrus, Union, Gaston Counties surround Mecklenburg (where Charlotte is). An even cheaper place is just across the border in South Carolina, Fort Mill. Our roads are a little behind, but Charlotte has grown so fast..... Good Luck. We moved here 10 years ago from Northern Virginia and LOVE IT. The worst thing is allergies - beware, they are really bad here. I had to go to 3 different stores to find Zytec-D. Look on the Charlotte page of this forum and see what others are writing. A few magazines picked Charlotte as the best place to relocate.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
I thought of Florida... They have BEAUTIFUL state parks in which you have crystal clear springs 30 feet deep in which you can swim.
Manatee Springs sticks out in my mind, the water is said to be 70 degrees year round... I've been there twice, it is cool... It really is an attraction. I met someone from Houston while I was there... it is truly something I would visit yearly...
Miami sort of has a Major Airport... right? Or Jacksonville or Orlando?
The area is pretty Tropical, no so many mountains but there beach bike trails... and then you have the keys...
Home might be a tad bit on the expensive side... but good schools can be found in any state... you have to know where to look.
It does get quite humid, but not really over 100... usually 80s or 90s, sometimes 50s in the winter...
Humidity and Prices is the only factor that would worry me.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,438 times
I would recommend Florida, Oregon, or Washington. People will recommend places in the south, but if Colorado is too conservative for you I'm sure Tennessee will be as well.

Seattle has a great job market, and is green all year. It is also extremely beautiful.

Portland is cheaper than Seattle, but the job market is not as good.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:16 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
^
actually now that you mention it... Southern Texas along the coast might also work...
South-southwest Texas tends to be very liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.