U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
YvZ YvZ started this thread

52 posts, read 241,508 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry to ask the same old question that has been asked so many times but each person has different criteria and I have seen some amazing suggestions to others.

Some background:
My husband and I are South African, moved to the US 9 years ago. We never had a choice where we wanted to live in the US as the Contracting Company that he worked for sent us where they could find a contract for him. We were fortunate, or maybe unfortunate, that we ended up with a fairly long term project with Verizon (then MCI) in Colorado Springs. With unfortunate I mean that we never got to experience a few different cities which would have helped making a decision where to settle.

We are now able to move anywhere in the US as long as there is an Airport, since my husband travels for work almost every week. We would like to settle and lay our roots so we have a place to call "home" again. Colorado Springs has never been "home" to us. It is too conservative and too cold for our liking.

What we are looking for:
1. Better weather than Colorado. The Winters are too cold for us and we do not enjoy skiing, which leaves us with little to do in the Winter. We feel that we spend too much time indoors due to the weather. We realize that we will have some colder weather wherever we are, if possible just not under 30. We are used to about 100 degrees in the Summer, so preferably not continues days over 100. If I can give a tall order, we would prefer to not have extreme humidity.
2. Lush gardens!!! We are used to sub tropical vegetation and it is very hard to grow much here. It is very dry here and also due to the altitude.
3. Mountain Biking and/or Road Cycling. It is the one thing my husband really likes about Colorado and it is the bike trails, although he is limited as to when he can ride due to the weather.
4. We grew up with inground pools and spent a lot of time swimming as kids. We would love for our kids to have the same type of lifestyle. They should be able to swim for at least 6 months of the year.
5. Obviously good schools as we have a Kindergartener and a 2nd grader.
6. Since my husband wouldn't want to travel for work for the rest of his life, we need to live in a city with IT job possibilities in the future.
7. We can not afford to live in San Diego or San Francisco or any of the known expensive IT cities. We would like to be able to buy a decent size house (2300sqft) for about $300K, can be a bit more if needed.

We appreciate the suggestions. It just feels as if some of you have travelled a lot or even lived in many places. We have very limited knowledge of all the different places, thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 74,757,990 times
You dont want high humidity, nor anywhere too hot, but want lush sub-tropical gardens? Not gonna happen, sorry!

Id recommend someplace like Nashville, TN, but its very humid. Id also recommend Albuquerque, NM, but thats too dry. Hmmm. I dunno!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,974,736 times
My vote is for East Tennessee. I think that will fit the bill.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM

I know, I am looking for the impossible. So let me change it a bit and say I will take humidity above dry heat due to wanting the green around me. I am not a desert girl As long as it's not humid and sticky all year. I like to visit NM but I will never live there, then I can might as well stay put and enjoy the mountains.

Thanks for the time to help me out. I am going to look at TN now. Does TN have less humidity that TX? Why do you guys recommend TN and not Texas?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM

3,109 posts, read 5,815,224 times
Atlanta will meet your requirements including IT jobs,mountain biking,less humidity than many places due to its 1000 ft. elevation,good schools in the northern suburbs,a large outdoor swimming pool in almost every newer subdivision,good home prices and access to a major airport.

Mountain Biking

Georgia State Parks - Amicalola Falls State Park

Last edited by capoeira; 05-13-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 37,411,808 times
I would have to toss in a vote for Tennessee as well. Why not Texas? For me personally I lived there for 2 years and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. A person can only take so much "Texas this..., and Texas that...; If it isn't Texas or a Texan it isn't worth anything." Oh please!

I spent a lot of time in Tennessee and really love the state. Green, lush, lots of water, and genuinely nice folks. I don't live there because it is just a trifle too hot for my blood in the Summers, but that is coming from a dyed in the wool Northern boy as well. Anything above 75 is pushing the upper limit for me.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Wow, thanks for the info. It helps a lot! Of the humid places, is Atlanta known for having less humidity?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM

3,109 posts, read 5,815,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvZ View Post
Wow, thanks for the info. It helps a lot! Of the humid places, is Atlanta known for having less humidity?
Atlanta is less humid than other places in the South due to its 1000 ft. elevation near the North Georgia Mountains. It is still much more humid than very dry places like Denver but less humid than Florida. Atlanta's biggest problem is the traffic,not the weather.

Here are some great posts on Atlanta weather.

//www.city-data.com/forum/1125633-post23.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/1232519-post28.html

Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 PM

6,141 posts, read 10,611,680 times
I think anywhere in the Southeast will have a problem with humidity. I guess it's the water that makes all the lush vegetation. Atlanta will have excellent plane connections, Charlotte may as well if USAir goes where he needs to go. Nashville has a good airport. Roanoke may be a little cooler and is closest to the mountains.

I can't comment on the outdoor swimming, 6 months seems a bit ambitious unless you are hardy. The water won't warm up until may. The thing about weather in the SE is it will be warm one day and cold the next. Weather seems to come in 1 week cycles of cold fronts coming through except for about 3-5 weeks in the summer when it is HOT. But rarely 100.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 PM

16,282 posts, read 40,922,931 times
Thats a tough request.

Another option might be OREGON. A lot of cool gardens and variety of trees and flowers and plants grow there. Plus they have great mountain-biking. HOWEVER its not the kind of place youd also be in the swimming pool 6 months out of the year.

Actually thats the problem, Colorado Springs already IS a good place, so you can pretty much ONLY move farther south one direction or the other (if its too cold already there). But more desert in the southwestern direction and a lot of humidity in the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.