Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:15 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Cold and grey, sure. Still, it's no more of a problem than the searing sun or oppressive humidity.
People can adapt. More people lived in these cold areas before modern technology than they did in the southwest, which should say something. We tried cramming everyone into coastal southern California but it didn't work out too well.
The United States as we know it today was settled east to west because "explorers" who "discovered" the land came from across the Atlantic. Once settled, steamboats were a prevalent means of hauling people and goods. Cold vs hot doesn't tell the whole story.

Quote:
Again, in Wisconsin, "days without electricity" isn't as much of a concern as it is in other parts of the country.
It would be a freakish disaster of epic proportions, but then again, such would be the case anywhere.
In no way is that the norm. Not at all.
Nor are tornadoes bearing down on you in Sothern Indiana or Kentucky, but that's the position being taken in this thread.

Quote:
Warming centers, cooking outside over a campfire? Never heard of it, but I guess it could happen?
Pipes bursting? This isn't Texas. They know how to build for that here. Of course, you can't get by with shoddy craftsmanship in these parts nor can you sit around and not make sure things stay warm.
Stuff like that is only an issue when people don't keep things maintained.
You're downplaying the threats winter could pose while exaggerating other threats. Every Midwestern city has warming centers at a minimum to shelter homeless, with a contingency plan to prepare for mass power outages.

And yes, my family in northern Michigan keeps a grill stockpile to cook meat in the winter. They do it in case of emergencies, but also because they live in Northern Michigan and just cook out all winter.

Quote:
As for those tornado's, they were inland, which I did point out is more prone. Still, it's far less of an issue than when I lived in points further south.
That is a total fabrication. Milwaukee is not protected from tornadoes by being closer to Lake Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 02:35 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The United States as we know it today was settled east to west because "explorers" who "discovered" the land came from across the Atlantic. Once settled, steamboats were a prevalent means of hauling people and goods. Cold vs hot doesn't tell the whole story.

Nor are tornadoes bearing down on you in Sothern Indiana or Kentucky, but that's the position being taken in this thread.

You're downplaying the threats winter could pose while exaggerating other threats. Every Midwestern city has warming centers at a minimum to shelter homeless, with a contingency plan to prepare for mass power outages.

And yes, my family in northern Michigan keeps a grill stockpile to cook meat in the winter. They do it in case of emergencies, but also because they live in Northern Michigan and just cook out all winter.

That is a total fabrication. Milwaukee is not protected from tornadoes by being closer to Lake Michigan.
I'm more familiar with Missouri, Iowa, and Arkansas, where tornadoes are indeed much more prone than in Wisconsin.
Sure, there are contingency plans for extreme circumstances, especially for the homeless, but seriously, it's not much of an issue. Never crosses my mind to keep the grill handy in the winter, but no doubt some people do.
We all downplay weather threats we ourselves don't mind putting up with don't we?

Point was, people have historically lived in cold climates and didn't bat an eye at migrating to them for jobs. It wasn't the same mindset of today where it's "oh my goodness it's cold! I can't survive there!"
People adapted.

As for Milwaukee and the shoreline not being as prone to tornadoes, yeah, it really is a thing.
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...major-tornado-

Sure they can still happen, but that huge bubble of cold air over the lake tends to put the brakes on those kinds of storms believe it or not. Not always, but it certainly makes them more rare.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:38 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
As for Milwaukee and the shoreline not being as prone to tornadoes, yeah, it really is a thing.
https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...major-tornado-

Sure they can still happen, but that huge bubble of cold air over the lake tends to put the brakes on those kinds of storms believe it or not. Not always, but it certainly makes them more rare.
8 common tornado myths debunked

Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyone777 View Post
I am trying to leave Arizona because it has become too crowded, dirty, and expensive here. I am considering a safe/suburban town in the midwest and would prefer somewhere that doesn't have natural disasters. Lol I have to get out of here.
You're not going to get away from natural disasters anywhere.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:47 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Avoid the Ozarks -- Missouri or Arkansas.

I left Missouri and would never move back but some people like it. Look at the Missouri River valley towns west of St. Louis if you want a small town. The northern Midwest is way too cold and snowy. Of course the humidity will get you if you have lived long enough in the Southwest and move to the Midwest.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:04 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You're not going to get away from natural disasters anywhere.
Of course there's no such thing as zero risk, but certain locations simply have fewer potential threats. Phoenix is one of those places (guessing that is where the OP is living now?). The only truly destructive events we have are microbursts. They can cause severe damage, but are very localized.

Getting caught out driving during a dust storm is realistically the biggest problem most will face in Phoenix. Generally a person gets plenty of warning with these, however.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:39 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Avoid the Ozarks -- Missouri or Arkansas.

I left Missouri and would never move back but some people like it. Look at the Missouri River valley towns west of St. Louis if you want a small town. The northern Midwest is way too cold and snowy. Of course the humidity will get you if you have lived long enough in the Southwest and move to the Midwest.
The northern Midwest is not that snowy for the most part at all unless you like in the Lake Effect Snowbelt areas. Too cold is relative to what many are used to, the wind and cold combination is far worse out in the prairies and northern plains compared to the Northwoods where there is far less wind. The Lake County in the Northwoods has a huge retiree population, so lots of people don't mind cold and snow contrary to what some might think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.