Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 03:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in the heart of St Paul and they were several miles from any of the damage in Minneapolis.

The affected area was much smaller than the media would lead you to believe. It's still an unfortunate thing, but wildly exaggerated by people who aren't actually there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I grew up 2 miles from the city line. In 1970, there were race riots and those were ~ 4 miles from me. It was invisible in my coastal suburban town. They were isolated to a few city blocks then and it would be similar if it ever happened again.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:53 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The suggestion to not live near the city hall or maybe the central police station might be good advice in some places if you are so worried. Actually, rural people go off the rails as often as city people and some of them actually live off the rails. Add to that the fact that you are missing a lot of amenities once you get out of the city area. In many small rural towns there are only 6-8 families and the folks are all related. The urban civil unrest is very localized and is blown out of proportion by the media who are looking for clickbait and to sell advertising.
The protest of two hundred or so people at the police station in my small rural town over a year ago was peaceful with nothing happened after dark. The guy armed with a rifle who patrolled the perimeters of the protest was a little off the rails but didn't lead to trouble. There are two Wal-Marts, Sprouts and Lowes, so there are some amenities.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:37 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
Well, 57 years ago, I watched a molotov cocktail burn out harmlessly on the floor of my studio, thrown through a window by Quebec separatists. So, even Canada a half century ago isn't far enough.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:05 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
My backyard fence was the city limits of Ferguson MO as I was growing up. That place seemed like a small town and it was a Beaver Cleaver existence. It had a few problems but was mostly okay at the time because people were oblivious to injustice and it was a mostly white community. As I recall, blacks were not allowed at the municipal swimming pool -- no signs or public indications, we just knew. I thought that was awful but there were no complaints that I knew of. Times change. Maybe if we were more aware and more committed to fairness and equality, especially in local policing or life opportunities, there would be less civil unrest. That being said, there are issues that boil over (Quebec separatists, for example) and a certain disruptive element that will always take advantage of an unsettled situation, no matter where you live.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:11 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
A factor to consider is if curfews are put in place for rioting.

In Reno, the rioting, looting and burning happened at the city hall and a police station downtown.

The whole city was placed on a curfew over several days.

You need to be out of the city limits to avoid this.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:59 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,491,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The protest of two hundred or so people at the police station in my small rural town over a year ago was peaceful with nothing happened after dark. The guy armed with a rifle who patrolled the perimeters of the protest was a little off the rails but didn't lead to trouble. There are two Wal-Marts, Sprouts and Lowes, so there are some amenities.
What was the protest about by the way? I never heard of any protest in a rural area.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
What was the protest about by the way? I never heard of any protest in a rural area.
The French do that. The hike in gasoline prices a couple of years ago pushed through by affluent urban people in the name of climate change sparked all kinds of rural protests. The gilets jaunes. France has decades of history of tractors blocking roads to protest anti-rural government policy.

The US has some of it. Grazing rights on Federal lands was in the news not too long ago. I’d bet water rights with the drought will trigger protests.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
It was the 'We Can't Breathe' protest in honor of George Floyd held on June 3, 2020. The organizer was surprised a lot more than 40 or 50 showed up for it. Several people gave speeches. There was no violence from it, including after dark, so probably why you didn't hear of it. All the violence associated with last year's riots in Oklahoma were an hour's drive away in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. It was interesting to watch how the local tv stations there covered them live on the scene. TV reporters had to join the protesters to run from the tear gas.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:26 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Protests happen where they'll be seen. But lots of nutjobs have protested masks, democracy, etc., coming in from rural areas to state capitals for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.