Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you like most? (In order by poverty rate)
Mississippi 6 2.53%
Louisiana 28 11.81%
New Mexico 92 38.82%
Kentucky 26 10.97%
Arkansas 10 4.22%
West Virginia 31 13.08%
Alabama 32 13.50%
Oklahoma 12 5.06%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 04:12 PM

865 posts, read 589,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I see you live in Mobile. Grew up there and still have friends there. Evacuated from many hurricanes through the years. If you think the QOL is good there, I simply don’t know how to respond. Have you done much traveling to other places in the U.S.?
I’ve done a good bit of traveling. When was the last time you were actually in Mobile? Because today Mobile is entirely different than even just a few years ago. I might agree with you pre 2017, but post 2017 and especially post Covid era, Mobile has improved dramatically
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 04:37 PM

282 posts, read 217,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Sadly, it's true that too many people in the country don't even know that New Mexico is a state.

New Mexico Magazine for years has had a feature titled "One of Our 50 is Missing" that allows people to recount their stories and encounters with people who don't know that New Mexico is a state. They've never had a shortage of these stories over the past few years and decades, going back to at least the nineties. They usually have at least three examples a month.

Below is a collection of the stories from the last few years on the New Mexico Magazine website.

https://www.newmexico.org/heart-of-n...50-is-missing/
I never thought I'd see the day, but I have just had a personal encounter with someone who didn't know that New Mexico was a state. I placed an order on eBay earlier this week. Today I received an email saying that the seller canceled the order due to an issue with my address. I messaged the seller to ask what was wrong with my address. He told me that he was sorry but he couldn't ship the item outside of the U.S. I told him this was New Mexico, a state in the U.S., not Mexico. He apologized and asked me to re-order the item and that he would send it to me as soon as possible, which I have just finished doing. I guess my Spanish name didn't help the matter but you'd think a Zip code would at least tip someone off to an address being in the U.S.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:00 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
I’ve done a good bit of traveling. When was the last time you were actually in Mobile? Because today Mobile is entirely different than even just a few years ago. I might agree with you pre 2017, but post 2017 and especially post Covid era, Mobile has improved dramatically
Actually, my daughter lived in the area and just recently moved. We visited her for several months last winter/spring. You must not be factoring in crime rate and quality of public schools in your QOL assessment.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Actually, my daughter lived in the area and just recently moved. We visited her for several months last winter/spring. You must not be factoring in crime rate and quality of public schools in your QOL assessment.

Mobile doesn't have a very high crime rate. It's the lowest of Alabama's Big 4 Cities, it is actually one of the lowest crime rates in the South for a major city. Crime has also fallen by 40% in the past 4 or so years. Mobile has the same property crime rate as one of our most popular suburbs, Fairhope and is pretty close to others like Daphne and Spanish Fort and is lower than Foley.

Mobile proper does have a school problem (which is made up by the fact that the city has excellent private schools) but the metro as a whole does have pretty good schools, but schools don't make the entirety of QOL

Old 08-17-2022, 06:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I can sort of see why Arkansas is not faring too well. I think the overall reputation of Arkansas nationwide, is one that ain't so great, so-to-speak.
I think the reputation not being great is fair. Just seeing it battle Mississippi surprise me. It could be that Arkansas and Mississippi lack a great city (or topography in the case of West Virginia) for people to vote for. Louisville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Huntsville, all have fans in ways Little Rock and Jackson do not.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:33 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Mobile doesn't have a very high crime rate. It's the lowest of Alabama's Big 4 Cities, it is actually one of the lowest crime rates in the South for a major city. Crime has also fallen by 40% in the past 4 or so years. Mobile has the same property crime rate as one of our most popular suburbs, Fairhope and is pretty close to others like Daphne and Spanish Fort and is lower than Foley.

Mobile proper does have a school problem (which is made up by the fact that the city has excellent private schools) but the metro as a whole does have pretty good schools, but schools don't make the entirety of QOL
Mobile DOES have a relatively high crime rate. Per City-Data statistics for 2018 (last year for which data is available), the crime rate is MUCH higher in ALL categories than the average in AL.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Mobile-Alabama.html#b

To blame the problems with the public school system on private schools is ridiculous. It is likely the other way around; parents are sending their kids to private schools because of the issues they likely perceive with the public schools in Mobile.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Mobile DOES have a relatively high crime rate. Per City-Data statistics for 2018 (last year for which data is available), the crime rate is MUCH higher in ALL categories than the average in AL.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Mobile-Alabama.html#b

To blame the problems with the public school system on private schools is ridiculous. It is likely the other way around; parents are sending their kids to private schools because of the issues they likely perceive with the public schools in Mobile.
That’s how crime is, the vast majority of central cities are gonna have a crime rate higher than their state. Comparing cities to the states are apples to oranges comparisons, maybe try comparing them to peer cities

Again I stated in the past several years crime has rapidly fallen. Those crime numbers are from 4 years ago. Again crime has fallen 40% IN THE past 4 years. Of course your not gonna see it because City data crime isn’t up to date.

Your putting words in my mouth. I never said at any point that our public school issue is because of Private School. I clearly meant that even tho our public school are rough, our private schools are pretty good, that’s it.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:13 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Northern part of West Virginia specifically.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:20 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Minus Alabama of course, do the other states have a place that can compete with Huntsville or at least will in the future?
Honest question. What makes Huntsville AL so much better than every city in all of these other states?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:06 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think the reputation not being great is fair. Just seeing it battle Mississippi surprise me. It could be that Arkansas and Mississippi lack a great city (or topography in the case of West Virginia) for people to vote for. Louisville, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Huntsville, all have fans in ways Little Rock and Jackson do not.
Yeah, I get what you mean. They are similar states overall, but Arkansas has moved ahead of Mississippi economically for sure.

I think a positive Mississippi has it its coastline, and the somewhat desirable areas of Biloxi/Gulfport. In addition, the Memphis suburbs of Mississippi (DeSoto County) are actually pretty nice--and growing pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.