Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,439 times

Advertisements

In the age of the multi-tasking, cell phones, sprawling roadways, and impatient people it is very difficult finding a place to ride one's bike safely. So, which cities would you consider to be the best and worst for bike riders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
City??? major city??? ehh... maybe Portland?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I bicycle commute every work day in Orange County, CA about 30 miles round trip, year round. Our county has a population of about 3.5 million (5th largest county population in the US), so there are plenty of cars around. Most major through streets in my area are fairly wide and have a good shoulder or a marked bike lane. I don't have many problems in dealing with cars, but I ride the same route every day and pick the route carefully to avoid hazardous intersections or streets. My route does not involve what I would consider real heavy car traffic. My route requires very few left turns, which are where cyclists are most vulnerable. I wear a bright reflective vest and use a rear view helmet mirror, and have bright lights that blast away when it's not very light outside. I don't take it for granted that cars at intersections will give me the right of way, even though I might have the right of way. I have been bike commuting for many years and have learned the survival rules of the road. Many of the cars on my route are the same ones that pass me by every day, and I have sort of "trained" them to notice me so that I can ride along in my space along the shoulder or bike lane.

OC is one of the best metro areas I've lived in for bike riding, although the San Francisco bay area has many good areas also. Sacramento is quite good too.

Tucson, Boise, Salt Lake and Albuquerque have good cycling in town and surrounding areas. Many cities in Ohio are pretty good too, Ohio is a big cycling state. Down the river, Louisville and Lexington, KY are pretty good in town and good surrounding countryside. Same goes for Tallahassee, FL.

I have friends in New Orleans that rarely drive cars, they pedal around the flat town on single speed bikes. Since half the people left NOLA, not as much traffic around.

One of the worst for bike riders, Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Las Vegas is a big city for cycling. Lots of cycling teams, and many streets even have their own bike lanes.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Las Vegas is a big city for cycling. Lots of cycling teams, and many streets even have their own bike lanes.
Vegas, really? I thought this would be a bad city for cyclists.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
City??? major city??? ehh... maybe Portland?
Any city, not just major cities. BTW, how's cycling in Dallas (beyond the parks system)?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Downtown may not be the best area for bikes, but the residential areas are very bike-friendly.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 AM

14 posts, read 43,411 times
A lot of people bike around SF

Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM

845 posts, read 2,742,891 times
I would say Portland, OR. If you value your life you will not move to South Florida and try to ride a bike.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Yeah, watching the bike tires melt into the pavement and then burst into flames on a 115 degree day isnt exactly what Id call ideal either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.