Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 09:22 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,229,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I have read a lot of posts here on C-D over the years. One of the main things I see in some people's post is that some cities have "no culture." It's mainly said about the South and Midwest outside of Chicago and Minneapolis while a lot of people praise the Coasts as beacon of culture. I take that back Southern culture does get some praise. So, what does it mean when people that certain cities have no culture? Arts, beaches, nightlife, politics, economy, entertainment? Let me know.
I’ve never heard of anyone saying that Detroit has no culture. If anything, it has strong cultural institutions and a very strong brand, definitely more so than Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 09:26 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Why does the question of what you think illicit responses about how other people are wrong in their opinion. Why do people need to prove that only their opinion is valid?

Old 08-09-2021, 09:45 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
I can understand if some places are not tooting their horns the loudest (looking at you Houston) but it's just weird to me that people go somewhere else and because it does things differently they label the place cultureless.

Everywhere has their own style, it's just that some places Market that better than elsewhere. I mean, Vegas doesn't own a copyright on sin, they just do it better than most

Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
When someone says a city has "no culture" they generally actually mean one of the items below:

1) they've never been to the city
2) they've been to the city, but spent most of their time visiting Target/Starbucks/Olive Garden and not really anything that would hint at the city's culture
3) they were in the city for a day or two, not really enough time to really discover the culture
4) they have an agenda to pump up their own city, need another city to serve as a punching bag to make themselves feel better
5) they claim they've spent a lot of time in the city, but 1, 2, 3, or 4 are true
This. All of this.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:49 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I’ve never heard of anyone saying that Detroit has no culture. If anything, it has strong cultural institutions and a very strong brand, definitely more so than Minneapolis.
Seriously. Ive heard people (incorrectly) say MSP has no culture but Ive never heard that about Detroit.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:50 AM

409 posts, read 334,208 times
No culture means a lack of localism sometimes for a certain city or metro area.

I wouldn't necessarily think it would mean a lack of cultural amenities.

No culture would also mean no notable/recognizable cultural institutions, no unique ways of doing things compared to other regions, cities, or states, lack of individualism/more generic group think and subdued or even lack passion (good or bad) for one's hometown or state. Maybe even lack of lingual quirks or no discernable accents could also count as no culture. I've also noted that an overdependence on chains and less so on smaller localized businesses could also count as no culture to some people. Lack of a good exportable brand via big media (movies, tv shows, etc) sometimes gives people the perception that a certain city or region might not have a culture. Other times, it's usually the celebrities from these areas who are poor at exporting that local culture and make little to no mention of where they came from.

Finally, I think an overflow of transplants (especially for cities, regions, or states who didn't have that much of a strong local/regional culture as a base in the first place) ultimately counts as having no culture to some people.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
It simply means that they do not appreciate or recognize the culture that they encountered at the particular city. Every place of any size or age has its own culture. Perhaps new suburban communities have not developed anything distinct or have ownership of their own culture (yet) but over time it will likely develop.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
The culture in Detroit to me consists of the beautiful Art Deco architecture like the Fisher building. Also, the urban exploration opportunities attribute to Detroit's culture to me.

But in general, a lack of culture in a city usually means: a lack of a historic downtown, a lack of museums and theaters, a lack of an educated population, a strong level of sub-urbanization with McMansions, sprawl in general, highways all through the city, a lack of manners, a lack of healthy, well dressed citizens, a lack of a food culture, the pickup truck culture or even a car oriented way of life in general, many strip malls with nail saloons and fast food chains, many big box stores, many streets full of (used) car dealers, there being many hoods, high crime levels, etc.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
It all depends on the person. If it's someone from NYC for instance who isn't cultured themselves, that I might dismiss it as arrogance.

If it's a statement made from someone I trust/has traveled a lot, or a statement that I keep seeing over and over, it's starts to hold more weight.

Let's face it, we can't pretend that all cities have an equal amount of culture. In general when I hear that statement, it inferrs the city lacks an identity separate from other cities, and lacks unique things to do/nature.

Some cities, while very liveable, lack discernable attributes from other cities.

I also think to myself, if I hosted out of town visitors, what would I show them about my city?

Old 08-09-2021, 10:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
It's not a matter of a city lacking a distinct personality, it is a matter of you not perceiving it.

Which goes back to marketing.
Someone may visit the sunbelt and say most of the cities are all the same, while others may have a completely different view.

I like visiting small towns when I travel abroad. Most of them don't stand out as having unique culture, but I can steal detect culture even though it is the same as the 10 other small cities I visited.

Some places just Pre-package the culture for you, in others you need to be proactive and find out for yourself.

Yes, some places have more culture than others, but there are no cities with no culture. That just stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.