Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 10:43 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times

Advertisements

I think some are taking the thread title too literally. "No culture" is used in a more figurative sense, i.e. the culture is not as strong or notable as other cities. It's like when someone says "There's nothing to do here." It's not meant to be taken literally.

I see culture as strongly tied to identity, community, and unique traits. Cities that have stronger elements of these have "more culture".

As an example, suppose we were trying to describe a city just using non-specific objects or things.
If I say fog, cable cars, rolling hills... everyone knows what city I'm talking about, even people that haven't been there.
If I say creole, voodoo, jazz music... everyone knows I'm talking about.

Would we able to do the same exercise for cities like Charlotte, Dallas, and Columbus? Probably not. This doesn't mean that these cities are inferior; in fact, I lived in Columbus briefly and think it's a very underrated nice city. It just means they're not as culturally notable as other cities, and to some, this is a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 12:26 PM

276 posts, read 168,179 times
Every city has culture of course. I think what people mean when they say this is whether said city exports that culture.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:47 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Are you kidding me?
This post clearly demonstrates what I was saying earlier about an elitist way of looking things.
I am not attacking you or calling you an elitist. It is just the way of looking things.

Your post comes off as a city should be this way and if it is not then the culture there is not culture.

Let me give you an example. If they call the predominant mode of culture there car culture, then isn't it culture? I mean it has culture in the name. You think is not culture because it is not what your preferred ideal of culture is.

By the way you make it sound like Houston is this unknown mystery place. That might not be your intention but that is what it comes off as. I know your intention might be more along the lines of its not known for very positive things, but culture doesn't have to be positive.

For good or bad Houston is known for a lot of things because of its culture.

First and foremost Houston is a Gulf Coast city, it is a Texan city, it is a southern city and it is a sunbelt city. It embodies all of that and it's culture will obviously be along the lines of that.

Being the biggest city on the gulf Houston has a big port system that differentiates it from the other Texas cities. Also, being on the coast it is more prone to the effects of storms.

Although not as sprawling as some Houston is known for being sprawly. It is known for its large city limits and that has an effect on residents so it is part of the culture there.

Houston is known for its energy industry, its medical center and its growing medical industry.

One of the most visible indicators of culture is diversity and Houston is among the top for that. With diverse comes a variety of dining which puts Houston at the top in that department too.

When it comes to arts Houston is underrated. Houston has a nice mix of art. In the Fine art department Houston has it all. Museums, Opera, Symphony, Theater, public art, quirky art like the street car parade. There's loads of different festivals from countries all over the world. Houston has also been influential in Music. From country stars like Kenny Rodgers, to R&B stars like Barry White, to Rock stars like Janis Joplin who used to record there to Pop stars like Beyonce, to Hip Jop like Travis Scott, to Blues Rock bands like Zz Top. Houston had a bigger spotlight in the music industry during its Peacock records days but it is still a player.

In terms of sports it has it all except it lost Hockey.

Houston had a large visible gay culture, and up until the early 2000's it was bigger even than Austin's. The gentrification of Central neighborhoods such as Montrose, the heights and Midtown has led to decentralization of the gay culture so it isn't as visible as it once was.

For a city as big as Houston I can go on and on but if you haven't gotten the point by now it would probably be a waste of time.
I don't think Houston lacks culture.

I'm just pointing out that there are cities a fraction of its size whose individual features stand out much more.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:11 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Some places certainly have more "localness" than others -- with more locally-owned businesses, distinct local cuisine, unique architecture, a local accent, local music styles, and many other factors. That can all be experienced when you're in a city, and can be known brand aspects.

A lot of this is more present and/or more evident in a dense urban neighborhood built over generations, and both less present and harder to see in a low-density, car-oriented, chain-oriented place.

Outward brand can be an indicator, though fame has its own momentum. A place like Pittsburgh is strong in localness but lacks the attention to make its brand well-known for example.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:52 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I think some are taking the thread title too literally. "No culture" is used in a more figurative sense, i.e. the culture is not as strong or notable as other cities. It's like when someone says "There's nothing to do here." It's not meant to be taken literally.

I see culture as strongly tied to identity, community, and unique traits. Cities that have stronger elements of these have "more culture".

As an example, suppose we were trying to describe a city just using non-specific objects or things.
If I say fog, cable cars, rolling hills... everyone knows what city I'm talking about, even people that haven't been there.
If I say creole, voodoo, jazz music... everyone knows I'm talking about.

Would we able to do the same exercise for cities like Charlotte, Dallas, and Columbus? Probably not. This doesn't mean that these cities are inferior; in fact, I lived in Columbus briefly and think it's a very underrated nice city. It just means they're not as culturally notable as other cities, and to some, this is a deal breaker.
You could definitely do this for Charlotte and Dallas. I'm not as familiar with Columbus.

Banks, stock-car racing, glassy skyline
Cowboys, soap opera, megachurches

Now that doesn't mean these things are widely regarded as sexy, exotic, hip, unique, or whatever we're calling them now. But they exist and folks get the gist when they see these things listed together.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Houston appears to be on a trajectory to become our third largest city.

Other than the sports teams associated to it and the fact that its in Texas, how much does the average American even know about this place?

I think that's what people mean.
It's one thing for a place to be somewhat known and commonly described as lacking a distinct local culture/identity. It doesn't mean it's true and could simply mean its culture and identity have more subtlety to them and don't exactly smack you in the face when you enter its airspace or city limits.

But it's another thing entirely for a place to dwell in relative obscurity, even despite its size, and actually have a distinct sense of place but most folks are unaware of the fact that it does and are prone to dismiss it due to their own ignorance.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You could definitely do this for Charlotte and Dallas. I'm not as familiar with Columbus.

Banks, stock-car racing, glassy skyline
Cowboys, soap opera, megachurches

Now that doesn't mean these things are widely regarded as sexy, exotic, hip, unique, or whatever we're calling them now. But they exist and folks get the gist when they see these things listed together.

That's a pretty light list, and very reliant on regional concepts vs. local ones.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:17 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Is it modern construction and development gives us the appearance of no culture?

Would people in the 950s say the same about the new post War homes going up? Or the triple-deckers in the 1910s going up?

I think modernity gives us the impression of no culture since there are very limited experiences there.

Come back to all this new construction area in 50 years, 2070, and let's talk about these same areas again. The answers might change.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:28 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's a pretty light list, and very reliant on regional concepts vs. local ones.
I highly doubt anyone can name more than 1 distinctive than about Cincinnati or Milwaukee but they never get called out for having no culture.

It’s basically saying there isn’t significant amounts of ethnic whites.

That’s why Southern/western cities (outside CA and SLC)get accused of this all the time but almost never Northeastern it midwestern cities.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I used three descriptors for each city just like the poster I quoted. It wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list of descriptors for each city.

And yes, the characteristics are regional but those cities are the hubs/capitals of their respective regions. That's mostly how cities in the South developed and evolved: as urban outposts of the surrounding countryside. So even with a city like Charleston, many of its strongest cultural characteristics can be found dispersed throughout the Lowcountry, and even a city like Boston shares discernable traits with New England.

Off the top of your head, can you name another city within the same region as Dallas and Charlotte that are just as known for the three things I listed for each? Or even two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.