Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 12:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 864,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You could definitely do this for Charlotte and Dallas. I'm not as familiar with Columbus.

Banks, stock-car racing, glassy skyline
Cowboys, soap opera, megachurches

Now that doesn't mean these things are widely regarded as sexy, exotic, hip, unique, or whatever we're calling them now. But they exist and folks get the gist when they see these things listed together.
Sports teams shouldn't count, in the same way that specific landmarks or events shouldn't count either. Note that in my original example I avoided saying Lombard Street and Mardi Gras because those are too specific.

For Dallas, idk if these are really unique. Football and megachurches could be lots of places in the south. I'm unaware of Dallas's connection to soap operas so I'd have a hard time guessing that.

Just for fun, here's some other examples...

Bourbon, horse racing, baseball bats
Steel, bridges, inclined railways
Blues music, civil rights, rivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 12:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Is it modern construction and development gives us the appearance of no culture?

Would people in the 950s say the same about the new post War homes going up? Or the triple-deckers in the 1910s going up?

I think modernity gives us the impression of no culture since there are very limited experiences there.

Come back to all this new construction area in 50 years, 2070, and let's talk about these same areas again. The answers might change.
What about new quality urban construction?

Take a city like Greenville, SC which has literally built itself into a destination by developing its urban core in a deliberate and memorable way. As a result, it truly has a strong sense of place and local identity that it has been a nearly 50-year project in the making.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Sports teams shouldn't count, in the same way that specific landmarks or events shouldn't count either. Note that in my original example I avoided saying Lombard Street and Mardi Gras because those are too specific.
No not Cowboys, but cowboys. It was first in the sentence so the "C" had to be capitalized.

Quote:
For Dallas, idk if these are really unique. Football and megachurches could be lots of places in the south. I'm unaware of Dallas's connection to soap operas so I'd have a hard time guessing that.
Hint: the soap opera is named after the city.

I suppose I could've said "assassination" but decided not too.

At any rate, you're looking at all of these things in isolation and not in combination with each other.

I can do that also. Watch:

Quote:
Just for fun, here's some other examples...

Bourbon, horse racing, baseball bats
Steel, bridges, inclined railways
Blues music, civil rights, rivers
Bourbon is associated with the states of Kentucky and Tennessee. Horse racing? Baltimore, Long Island?

Steel? Pittsburgh, Baltimore, the Midwest generally
Bridges can be found everywhere. Inclined railways? Anyplace in mountainous areas?

Blues music, civil rights, rivers: the state of Mississippi?

See my point? Of course I know you're talking about Louisville, Pittsburgh, and Memphis but anybody can be petty and analyze an individual characteristic to death apart from the others.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I highly doubt anyone can name more than 1 distinctive than about Cincinnati or Milwaukee but they never get called out for having no culture.

It’s basically saying there isn’t significant amounts of ethnic whites.

That’s why Southern/western cities (outside CA and SLC)get accused of this all the time but almost never Northeastern it midwestern cities.
Let's see...

Riots, chilli, hills
Breweries....and that's all I got lol

Old 08-13-2021, 06:26 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Usually it means that a place is dominated by chain businesses without lots of local restaurants, bars, etc. Also when an area doesn't have its own unique cuisine like New Orleans or at least a few local specialties like Chicago hot dogs or Texas barbecue. Some people also say a place has "no culture" when its very mainstream American without special accents and/or without a large immigrant or non-white population.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:06 PM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
Yes, it can be a place some people describe as "Anytown, USA." A super generic town in the U.S. A place where just about everyone speaks English as their first language and most of the people have surnames from the British Isles.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:22 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
When someone says a city has "no culture" I take it to mean there are few if no great art galleries and museums, venues for theatre, film, dance and music - from symphony halls to jazz clubs. No literary connections, good bookstores, and no distinctive cuisine. A cultural city has a plethora of these things.

Doesn't mean that there aren't things to do there if a city is said to have "no culture", just that it's harder to find them. It's not as abundant or evident as in places like NYC, SFO, DC, Chicago, Houston, Boston, etc.

Wrapped into that are the attributes that are generally applied to cultured people as they are part of the experience as well - enlightened, cultivated, civilized, educated, knowledgeable, discerning, refined, polished, sophisticated, intellectual.

It's different than the "culture" of a people meaning their customs, dress, food, etc.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:21 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I have read a lot of posts here on C-D over the years. One of the main things I see in some people's post is that some cities have "no culture." It's mainly said about the South and Midwest outside of Chicago and Minneapolis while a lot of people praise the Coasts as beacon of culture. I take that back Southern culture does get some praise. So, what does it mean when people that certain cities have no culture? Arts, beaches, nightlife, politics, economy, entertainment? Let me know.
No culture to me means nothing to do but drink, do drugs, or reproduce.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:37 AM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This, sort of. Generally, the fine arts category. I'd add a general intellectual component, too. An elite university or two with lots of bright, engaged people exchanging ideas. Or a concentration of bright, world class people exchanging ideas.

For example, New Haven is something of a hell hole but because of Yale and all the activities there, the city has culture.

Huntsville, AL has the concentration of bright people.

It's the "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
New Haven is far from a hell hole.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:40 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
New Haven is far from a hell hole.
+1. New Haven is absolutely a great city. It has it's bad spots. But it has it's great spots as well. Tons of shopping, dining and great pizza. Its not Bridgeport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.