Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more similar to Tokyo?
Atlanta 15 50.00%
San Diego 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
LMFAO. Is this a joke? How about neither.

Also, the upper picture is obviously Atlanta. You can tell easily by the low density construction, grid layout, urban expressways, and numerous surface parking lots. Contrast that with the very Asian features of Tokyo.
Yea lol exactly what i was thinking, the sprawly one is Atlanta and the dense one is Tokyo. I really dont see any similarities in look between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
i choose Ditka

Old 05-14-2008, 06:56 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
I guess San Diego wins this one because we have a larger Japanese population? That's one way to look at it.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
This is like asking "Which is more like a teddy bear: an apple or a paper clip?"
OMG, I just spit my drink all over the screen!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
OMG, I just spit my drink all over the screen!!!!!!
That is unfortunate! I had a friend do that to my laptop lol, and its not pleasant.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,644 times
The bottom picture is Tokyo (the signage on the buildings).
But the answer to your question is San Francisco. I think that you misread it as San Diego.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
When I look at the ATLANTA picture, I just see a void of people. Massive freeway and tons of parking lots RIGHT in the middle of downtown. There are huge overpasses through the downtow, virtually impossible for people to get from one side of the highway over to the other if walking. Atlanta looks REAL depressing to me. Like you'd be in your car parking in intimidating parking lots, and trying to get into the nearest building you see, and most likely only for work. Then drive right back out again.

TOKYO, well I know Tokyo. You can see the density and the main road in those photos look quite easy to cross at a crosswalk. Plus all around between all of those buildings you'd have countless people strolling around casually, etc., etc.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Neither one, because if one of them was, I'd be there right now

Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
This is such a stupid thread. The cities most similar to Tokyo are Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, and NYC, but even those aren't that similar. Seattle and San Francisco are most like Tokyo.

Tokyo is one of those cities that could not be copied no matter how much money or effort is involved. Same with NYC, all of Europe, SF, and LA. Nothing is even remotely similar.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
Atlanta, San Diego is too laid back.
San Diego does have a larger asian population, but Atlanta would be closer.
Atlanta is just generally more exposed then San Deigo.
Neither are like Tokyo, as said.
But that would be Atlanta hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius
Which is more like a teddy bear: an apple or a paper clip?"
That would be Apple because the apples contains more matter and has a larger surface area like the teddy bear. A paper clip is made of pure metals as well both apples and Teddy bears are not made of metals...completely, both contain certain amounts of metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius
"Which is more like a grapefruit: a cup of tea or 18th century enlightenment"?
A cup of tea, because they both go into the digestive track of humans. What is more so 18th century enlightenment is not a concrete noun, I forget the word for the nouns that aren't concrete... but it is figurative... Both tea and grapefruit are mad from Plants as well.

So while both examples may be totally off, there is an answer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.