Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 03:19 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Absolutely have thought about that, I feel Tennessee is becoming to much of a hotspot now which I feel I have to avoid…. I don’t know anything about NC so very open to other areas there but I feel that state can handle growth best, that area might be little too big for what I’m looking for but I’ll still look into it. I really like what I read about Christianburg, Salem, and Radford I think it might just be big enough for what I want. Also liking how good people seem to be there plus the climate, I just don’t want to receive northeast discrimination……
Blacksburg is the home of Virginia Tech University and neighbors Christiansburg, so there's always a flux of people in/out of both cities with its enrollment of around 30K students. To a lesser extent but probably about as evident, is what occurs in Radford with Radford University. RU enrolls around 8K but in a city of 16K it's obviously impactful. I have found both areas very receptive/largely welcoming to varying demographics in town or in close proximity. Lastly Salem is well known for friendly folks given it's also a small college town (Roanoke College) and also as the host city for the NCAA Division Football Championship (Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl) for many years until it was moved to TX in 2017. As a result of being great hosts/welcoming for so many years with football, the NCAA moved three different events to Salem....the NCAA Division III Basketball, Volleyball and Softball Championships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 03:29 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
I'd recommend any of the 3.

But Roanoke is going to be the smallest, and "quietest" out of the 3 areas.

A thing to consider for you, politically maybe, is that Virginia is a blue state, and becoming more and more blue.

It is very much more progressive than North Carolina or Tennessee. That might be a consideration for you, but maybe not. The Roanoke region, and southwest Virginia on the whole, are still very "red" areas of Virginia.

Knoxville is located in an area with much more overall to do, entertainment, attraction and outdoor wise. The Great Smokies and the resort areas of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are just a half hour away from Knoxville. With this region comes a lot of retirees and folks relocating to be near these vacation hotspots, as an FYI.

Old 08-10-2021, 04:32 PM

346 posts, read 229,205 times
^ Nah

North Carolina will be bluer than Virginia in less than a decade with the growth it's experiencing. Look at Asheville, it's probably the most liberal city in the country. Raleigh metro is also even bluer than Northern Virginia, the bluest part of Virginia.

Roanoke, Va is a very good place to move to -- best of the pack. Knoxville is good too but I prefer Chattanooga instead.

Forget North Carolina if you want conservative, it'll likely rival New York in liberalness real soon. Every time I go to Cary, NC the people freak out that I'm carrying. They hate the 2A!

These days I skip over NC entirely on my way to SC without even stopping for gas.

Last edited by rural & red; 08-10-2021 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 07:34 PM

224 posts, read 164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
^ Nah

North Carolina will be bluer than Virginia in less than a decade with the growth it's experiencing. Look at Asheville, it's probably the most liberal city in the country. Raleigh metro is also even bluer than Northern Virginia, the bluest part of Virginia.

Roanoke, Va is a very good place to move to -- best of the pack. Knoxville is good too but I prefer Chattanooga instead.

Forget North Carolina if you want conservative, it'll likely rival New York in liberalness real soon. Every time I go to Cary, NC the people freak out that I'm carrying. They hate the 2A!

These days I skip over NC entirely on my way to SC without even stopping for gas.

I appreciate the honesty that is something I never hear about NC…. although anytime I hear a state is known for having so many colleges plus they have few major cities that is a red flag…. I absolutely want to avoid the nonsense or possible future nonsense if that trend continues. Between Roanoke metro plus add in Blackburg and Radford that is little under 500k people from what I am seeing, which to me is pretty much an area size I think I will enjoy, big enough but not huge. I kinda like what Virginia and West Virginia have to offer more anyway… and better climate, at least from what I see in comparisons of 3 states.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:53 AM

346 posts, read 229,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
I appreciate the honesty that is something I never hear about NC…. although anytime I hear a state is known for having so many colleges plus they have few major cities that is a red flag…. I absolutely want to avoid the nonsense or possible future nonsense if that trend continues. Between Roanoke metro plus add in Blackburg and Radford that is little under 500k people from what I am seeing, which to me is pretty much an area size I think I will enjoy, big enough but not huge. I kinda like what Virginia and West Virginia have to offer more anyway… and better climate, at least from what I see in comparisons of 3 states.
Also consider the surrounding Lynchburg area like Forest, VA or Appomattox, VA -- great areas. Full of outdoors adventures nearby.

North Carolina is too popular today with transplants. If you don't want an area experiencing excessive growth, it's not the place for you.

Virginia is only experiencing mild growth, as most from the Northeast skip over it to go to NC now.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:11 AM

611 posts, read 364,825 times
Quote:
^ Nah

VA: Biden 54%, Trump 44% - Biden won by ~500K

NC: Trump 50% Biden was under 49% - yes it was close and shifting, but Trump won by almost 100K

Even as it changes, it's far from VA.

Quote:
NC the people freak out that I'm carrying. They hate the 2A!

Riiight, they "hate" it.

Quote:
Well, that certainly is a reasonable and sound thing to do.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:49 AM

276 posts, read 167,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Blacksburg is the home of Virginia Tech University and neighbors Christiansburg, so there's always a flux of people in/out of both cities with its enrollment of around 30K students. To a lesser extent but probably about as evident, is what occurs in Radford with Radford University. RU enrolls around 8K but in a city of 16K it's obviously impactful. I have found both areas very receptive/largely welcoming to varying demographics in town or in close proximity. Lastly Salem is well known for friendly folks given it's also a small college town (Roanoke College) and also as the host city for the NCAA Division Football Championship (Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl) for many years until it was moved to TX in 2017. As a result of being great hosts/welcoming for so many years with football, the NCAA moved three different events to Salem....the NCAA Division III Basketball, Volleyball and Softball Championships.

As a grad, I'm obligated to remind you we're the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, thank you very much

Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM

224 posts, read 164,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
VA: Biden 54%, Trump 44% - Biden won by ~500K

NC: Trump 50% Biden was under 49% - yes it was close and shifting, but Trump won by almost 100K

Even as it changes, it's far from VA.

Riiight, they "hate" it.

Well, that certainly is a reasonable and sound thing to do.

I’m not looking it up because I don’t care but the amount of Biden voters in NOVA must be extremely high…… state being officially blue doesn’t matter, I want no part of nova as long as Roanoke area folks vote red I’m happy with Virginia.

To me it’s more important to stay away from rapidly growing areas I don’t wanna get priced out which is happening where I live now… I make decent money but that’s 2 jobs and to rent one bedroom here, not live in a bad area, I don’t know if I could find less then 1500$ month….. I’m not sure about studio prices but realistically I’d say best one bedroom rent would be 1400-1500$ to not live in the ghettos…..

Old 08-11-2021, 03:01 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd recommend any of the 3.

But Roanoke is going to be the smallest, and "quietest" out of the 3 areas.

A thing to consider for you, politically maybe, is that Virginia is a blue state, and becoming more and more blue.

It is very much more progressive than North Carolina or Tennessee. That might be a consideration for you, but maybe not. The Roanoke region, and southwest Virginia on the whole, are still very "red" areas of Virginia.

Knoxville is located in an area with much more overall to do, entertainment, attraction and outdoor wise. The Great Smokies and the resort areas of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are just a half hour away from Knoxville. With this region comes a lot of retirees and folks relocating to be near these vacation hotspots, as an FYI.
An important consideration to notate is it's becoming more "blue" (like other states) due to the political agenda of the current day GOP heading further right. Many traditional Republicans are finding themselves much more in lockstep with the conservative side of the Democratic Party (more centrist), thus making it more "blue" from that perspective and not a deep plunge into liberalism.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
^ Nah

What kinda foolish propaganda is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.