Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 09:05 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Moved to Miami, no regrets…..”how could you possibly move from San Diego?” was all I heard from Californians who warned me of heat, humidity, mosquitoes, hurricanes, smaller waves (lol), people who speak Spanish who came over on rafts and are drug dealers, median income levels, school systems, lots of elderly people, Florida man, yada yada yada….no issues—without getting into specifics much more and better urban amenities and more exciting lifestyle in Miami (at lower cost as a bonus) with quite a few Californians having moved here within the past year as well.

Then again before I moved to California from NY I was warned about earthquakes, drought, need to drive everywhere, people are plastic, superficial and fruitcakes, etc etc.

Experience things for yourself, not through others—though value the input from those you know and trust.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-12-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 10:12 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
This was in Orlando?
Yeah i lived on the SE side where, 10 years ago, the white population was concentrated on the East Coast.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:48 AM

372 posts, read 450,279 times
I haven't moved yet but the plan is to move to Charlotte next year and I hear all the things about it not really having a culture, identity and being boring but I visited earlier this year to scope it out and it seemed pretty awesome for the time I was there. Downtown was active and very pretty at night. Can't wait to experience more.

I live in Louisiana and in my opinion its not as bad as it sounds on paper. For all the negative attention it gets the people are mostly nice, the food is amazing, plenty of culture, and festivals to experience, New Orleans. Crime is an issue but you would think people were walking out of their front door and being mugged or shot. Most times if you stay away from trouble it won't find you. So much potential. Hopefully it is realized. That said...I'm still moving lol. Been here all my life, time for something new.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:01 PM

169 posts, read 127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
My perception of Boston is when you misgender or used the term “African American” you are in the HR office. What part of Boston did you live in? This isnt Boston specific at all and does not sound right. Im white but I have a last name that looks hispanic to most people if you drop as and add a z. The only five places iveoutwardly heard the N Word be used by white people in public settings were Orlando, Charlotte, various places in Indiana, Syracuse and NYC (but the guy was a crackhead).

You also left before the big boom and at the beginning of the restructuring of the city of Boston. Im assuming a lot of your experiences were int he late 2000s. Boston in 2021 is a completely different city then in 2010.. but really, where did you live? Even for that time it just sounds strange.

When I went to school in Florida and they found out my moms surname, they said “oh youre one of them puerto ricans... i thought you were white. Too bad.” And “oh you are going to school in NY? WIth all those n lovers?” Among other comments.
I mean, I don’t believe a good portion of Boston’s racism suddenly disappeared in 5 years. But yeah, in my experience, people in south Boston were low key racist, trying so hard to be politically correct but obviously racist. I’m not gonna say the other area where people were overtly racist because there’s only school in that part of the city and I don’t wanna get doxxed.

Regarding your last paragraph, Orlando has been diverse with lots of Hispanics and blacks since at least 2000. I think 70% of all students in that area are minorities, so I’m very surprised to not only find a school with prevailing racist ideas against Hispanics, but to find a predominantly-white school at all. They haven’t existed since the late 90s. Orlando is one of the most diverse and liberal cities (culturally, gender-wide etc) in the US, and doesn’t have a reputation for racism like Boston has for decades. So like I said, I’m surprised and sorry that happened to you. Sucks tbh. I didn’t even know what to do when it happened to me. I just froze every single time in sheer disbelief. Anyway, I haven’t been back to Boston yet. I get PTSD just thinking about that awful place. But I’d like to see this restructuring you speak of.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post
I mean, I don’t believe a good portion of Boston’s racism suddenly disappeared in 5 years. But yeah, in my experience, people in south Boston were low key racist, trying so hard to be politically correct but obviously racist. I’m not gonna say the other area where people were overtly racist because there’s only school in that part of the city and I don’t wanna get doxxed.

Regarding your last paragraph, Orlando has been diverse with lots of Hispanics and blacks since at least 2000. I think 70% of all students in that area are minorities, so I’m very surprised to not only find a school with prevailing racist ideas against Hispanics, but to find a predominantly-white school at all. They haven’t existed since the late 90s. Orlando is one of the most diverse and liberal cities (culturally, gender-wide etc) in the US, and doesn’t have a reputation for racism like Boston has for decades. So like I said, I’m surprised and sorry that happened to you. Sucks tbh. I didn’t even know what to do when it happened to me. I just froze every single time in sheer disbelief. Anyway, I haven’t been back to Boston yet. I get PTSD just thinking about that awful place. But I’d like to see this restructuring you speak of.
I grew up in south Texas which has a ton of Hispanics. There were absolutely white racists in my school.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Many people in California warned us of the rain when we talked about moving to Seattle, the funny thing is that the rain and cooler weather was one of the main reasons for moving here to Sammamish. We get an average of 60" of rain, more than Seattle at about 40", and where we lived in CA it was only 21".

Old 08-12-2021, 04:33 PM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
I'm moving to the suburbs of Detroit soon. I've heard both sides of it, read the statistics and have reason to believe the suburbs are significant different. I still have my reservations. We'll see how it goes?
What general area? Detroit has some blue collar suburbs, but it also has some nice, high end suburbs and some in between.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:38 PM

1,002 posts, read 918,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What general area? Detroit has some blue collar suburbs, but it also has some nice, high end suburbs and some in between.
Likely downriver, likelier still Grosse Ile. We're a vegan LGBT couple who like to be kindof away from civilization, and like to do things like keeping chickens, organic gardening, biking, self-sufficiency stuff, etc.

We're not a big fan of keeping up with the Jones, consumerism, or neighbors that have opinions about how we ought to be living.

You know the type, I'm sure.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:41 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Oakland, and it's been a great decision overall, but crime has definitely gotten noticeably worse since last summer

Old 08-12-2021, 06:39 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingArm3750 View Post

Again, Boston isnt for everyone. Its a grind. Not everyone is made out for the cut and how cities like NYC, Boston and Philly are desgned (Not for cars.. cold...) You haven't still answered wear did you hear people just casually drop the N word in public settings. Im sure it happened, it happens everywhere.

And it doesn't matter if Orlando is diverse and liberal (Its not as liberal as you think.. and certainly not nearly as liberal as Boston. Almost 35% of Latinos in Orlando voted for Trump.), Ive had way more racist encounters in half the time in Orlando then I ever did in Boston area.

Either you are the unluckiest person on Earth or the people you associated with in Boston were pretty awful, or both. Still unfair to call one of America's favorite city, an awful place. Im as liberal as they come and Boston is one of the safest places I feel.

Although it does bring up an interesting point. In NJ/LI, way too many Italians are god-awful racist. I've met people here in North NJ in big Italian family's with dogs named 'Bean*r' and outwardly well.. im not going to get into it here. But the Northeast and white Americans in the Northeast are not as overly liberal as they might be romanticized to be. Southerners definitely get a bad wrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.