Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 04:29 PM

224 posts, read 164,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Unless you're retired and live in one of the retirement ghettos around Crossville, there is zero reason to live there, particularly if you need a job and things to do other than wander around Walmart. There's a lot of crime and drugs there which is why the retirement ghettos have their own security personnel. For Tennessee, check out Cookeville or maybe Johnson City.

Thank you, yes those areas or outside of Knoxville I’ll consider for sure. I also really like the looks of Chattanooga but then I saw crime rate there….. something with similar look and size of Chattanooga in a different area would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 04:46 PM

994 posts, read 968,129 times
Comfortable Climate , not humid, no extreme weather, plenty of job growth, cheap. I dont know where you can find all those in 1 place . I would suggest moving to a small town outside of a bigger town , but not a huge metro like NY,Seattle,LA etc. The higher elevations of Western NC have towns above 2500-3000 feet that would be comfortable year round overall. Towns in the west however such as Grand Junction , Flagstaff,AZ , Ashland/Medford,OR (GJ being cheapest of those i think) are fairly comfortable year round , but not much job growth in those areas. Not that they dont have jobs, but you didnt mention what kind of job background you're in.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Comfortable Climate , not humid, no extreme weather, plenty of job growth, cheap. I dont know where you can find all those in 1 place . I would suggest moving to a small town outside of a bigger town , but not a huge metro like NY,Seattle,LA etc. The higher elevations of Western NC have towns above 2500-3000 feet that would be comfortable year round overall. Towns in the west however such as Grand Junction , Flagstaff,AZ , Ashland/Medford,OR (GJ being cheapest of those i think) are fairly comfortable year round , but not much job growth in those areas. Not that they dont have jobs, but you didnt mention what kind of job background you're in.

I get a weird vibe from Oregon but I would still consider southern oregon. I really would go to most places out west but everywhere I look seems to be getting flooded with people moving it’s absurd.

I wish Show Low, Snowflake, Camp Verde, Prescott, Cottonwood were better areas but I really can’t picture myself in Arizona. I do like the state but I kinda consider Phoenix like the New Jersey in southwest in desert setting I want no part of that. I would consider flagstaff if I do wind up there I don’t think there’s another choice for me in Arizona.

Western NC and Grand Junction are spots I for sure will like, I did look up GJ jobs were horrendous there and everyone you see “many applicants” plus people found out about there I don’t wanna go to an area that could see high growth when it’s already so limited……

Best all around area I’ve seen is probably Roanoke VA and outside of there in SW part of Virginia. Also someone mentioned college town of Boone NC and I really like that town and area I just know nothing about it

My favorite area anywhere that I actually would want to be (I can’t put up with California but obviously southern California would have everything plus best weather) would be North Idaho/Eastern Washington or St George Utah. Like I said before I kinda like Prescott area of Arizona as well but I don’t think it’s good quality of life there. I would really like to save up and move to Post Falls Id out of anywhere but I am gonna reconsider Oregon it does check a lot of boxes

I do maintenance and custodial work for a school district, benefits pension lot of time off but pay just isn’t enough for North Jersey where cheapest one bedroom in non ghetto area would be like 1400$ month…. But I would like to do different kind of job.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:15 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Best all around area I’ve seen is probably Roanoke VA and outside of there in SW part of Virginia. Also someone mentioned college town of Boone NC and I really like that town and area I just know nothing about it

My favorite area anywhere that I actually would want to be (I can’t put up with California but obviously southern California would have everything plus best weather) would be North Idaho/Eastern Washington or St George Utah. Like I said before I kinda like Prescott area of Arizona as well but I don’t think it’s good quality of life there. I would really like to save up and move to Post Falls Id out of anywhere but I am gonna reconsider Oregon it does check a lot of boxes

If you like Roanoke, you could also consider some of the other towns along I-81, such as Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Blacksburg. Or, you could hop over to West Virginia and consider Beckley or Charleston. Actually, if you're going to go to West Virginia, Morgantown probably has the brightest future of any place there. Knoxville or the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) would probably be worth looking at too.

If you like Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington, the clear and obvious choice would be Spokane. It's not as conservative as the eastern towns I've mentioned, but it's in another universe compared to Seattle. I've been told that Northern Idaho (Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint, specifically) are become more expensive as the wealthier crowd is discovering them.

St. George struck me as a nice place the one time I passed through, but keep in mind that it's a hot, desert climate. It's probably pretty mild in the winter (I don't actually know for sure) but it's pretty toasty in the summer. But it's a dry heat!

Old 08-14-2021, 06:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Boone is humid and has snowy winters. The OP will need to go west to find a place with an agreeable climate. Hint. Look for places that are NOT lush.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:31 PM

783 posts, read 839,527 times
You might consider Northern Nevada. Carson City meets your criteria and is 30 minutes away from bigger Reno and beautiful Lake Tahoe. Lots of jobs here. Lots of outdoor recreation. Housing is pricey.

https://visitcarsoncity.com/

We have snow here, but it melts pretty fast.

Old 08-15-2021, 04:05 AM

70 posts, read 65,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
More for fun i will do my own research of course…

1. I can tolerate heat and cold but I can’t stand humidity or “heavy snowfall winters” some snow is fine but areas known for very snowy winters I really don’t want…

2. I would prefer an area that is more “anti big government” and or Conservative with mindset and politics.

3. I’d rather make less but be in place where cost of living is cheap.

4. Don’t want to be in an area that is becoming a hotspot that people are moving to and driving up prices of housing and rent.

5. I’d prefer semi rural type of living not sure what that is officially called…. I live in busy area of Northern NJ I don’t wanna feel like a sardine anymore I want some space and privacy!

6. I would like to live in more of a town setting, not tiny but smaller type of area that is somewhat near a medium or small city to work in. I want no part of mega cities like New York LA Seattle. I would like to someday buy my own rural home cabin and not have neighbors but for now I would need to rent.

7. I don’t care about nightlife to much my biggest thing is being able to do a wide variety of activities outside.

8. A climate that is overall comfortable, sort of said this earlier but heat and cold to both extremes can be fine but I don’t function in hot humid weather and I really hate heavy snowfall but I would tolerate snow over humid summers.

I know I will never check all boxes but just curious if anyone lives in a place that has a lot of what I’m looking for. I’ll add I’m a 28 year old guy so no retirement type of areas, to be near other younger people would be nice.
I'm looking for similar things and in a similar age group. If there is any way you can change your mind on having to deal with extremely snowy winters, sioux falls seems like a really good place in terms of simple living, job market, conservative values, low population density, and safety. Anywhere west of the Rockies is too fire prone for rural living in my opinion, but Spokane could potentially work?. If you're willing to budge on heat and humidity, then places in the upper southeast would be close to ideal. Chattanooga, Knoxville, greenville, roanoke....but I understand the disdain for hot and humid weather. There is no perfect place anymore.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
If you like Roanoke, you could also consider some of the other towns along I-81, such as Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Blacksburg. Or, you could hop over to West Virginia and consider Beckley or Charleston. Actually, if you're going to go to West Virginia, Morgantown probably has the brightest future of any place there. Knoxville or the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) would probably be worth looking at too.

If you like Northern Idaho and Eastern Washington, the clear and obvious choice would be Spokane. It's not as conservative as the eastern towns I've mentioned, but it's in another universe compared to Seattle. I've been told that Northern Idaho (Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint, specifically) are become more expensive as the wealthier crowd is discovering them.

St. George struck me as a nice place the one time I passed through, but keep in mind that it's a hot, desert climate. It's probably pretty mild in the winter (I don't actually know for sure) but it's pretty toasty in the summer. But it's a dry heat!

I found out about Morgantown when looking into Pittsburgh/western pa areas, it is really nice looking there but I kind of want to stay out of college towns, as in an area pretty much only known for having college there ….. gonna avoid Blacksburg as well. I do like Christiansburg, Salem, Roanoke more then almost anywhere else I’ve seen in east.

I will not have anything to do with northern Idaho anymore it is overfilled there now all wealthy buying lake homes there plus I’m sure people buy property there just to rent out since it’s such a popular summer spot.
I will reconsider Spokane but amount of rent there is very limited at this point in time but maybe in a few years it kind of normalizes whole usa is screwed up between housing and renting….

St George has the climate I prefer, dry heat is absolute fine to me I’ve been in west Texas/NM/Las Vegas/all over Utah in heat and I had no issues with it… when it gets hot and humid where I am(New Jersey) I feel like I can’t function…. I think I was more meant for desert climate tbh I really don’t like snow as well. But St George has pretty much been invaded by transplants almost no rent there or cheaper housing whatsoever plus I hear very bad things about state of Utah I don’t wanna move to a place I don’t feel I would fit into….

Trust me I’ve looked into Arizona for MONTHS but I just don’t think I can put up with Phoenix and all traffic and people are flocking there I’m trying to avoid that….

Areas I’m considering are Roanoke VA, anywhere in eastern TN pretty much, Pittsburgh PA area, I’m gonna look more into Ohio as well, Spokane for sure and even random more rural parts of Washington I might have to consider, I do like New Mexico even though it’s a shi tty state I still like northern part of it maybe Sant Fe gets consideration….. Rapid City SD is another one I think I’d enjoy….

Old 08-15-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Boone is humid and has snowy winters. The OP will need to go west to find a place with an agreeable climate. Hint. Look for places that are NOT lush.

Well at least Boone doesn’t get that hot but I hear ya, I don’t think I’m gonna bother with Carolinas… if I stay east I’m doing Roanoke area or somewhere in Tennessee. I’ll take cost of living and culture politics I like over humidity though…

Old 08-15-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
You might consider Northern Nevada. Carson City meets your criteria and is 30 minutes away from bigger Reno and beautiful Lake Tahoe. Lots of jobs here. Lots of outdoor recreation. Housing is pricey.

https://visitcarsoncity.com/

We have snow here, but it melts pretty fast.

That area is one of my favorites but I was scared off by lack of housing and rent plus popularity. As nice as Lake Tahoe is that is to popular of a spot to my liking anyway, same thing with Coeur D Alene Idaho.

Also jobs there are nothing special unless I were to get into construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.