Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 08:04 AM

224 posts, read 164,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFree1256 View Post
I'm looking for similar things and in a similar age group. If there is any way you can change your mind on having to deal with extremely snowy winters, sioux falls seems like a really good place in terms of simple living, job market, conservative values, low population density, and safety. Anywhere west of the Rockies is too fire prone for rural living in my opinion, but Spokane could potentially work?. If you're willing to budge on heat and humidity, then places in the upper southeast would be close to ideal. Chattanooga, Knoxville, greenville, roanoke....but I understand the disdain for hot and humid weather. There is no perfect place anymore.

I’m gonna reconsider Spokane but even consider going to some random parts of Washington.

I looked into Rapid City but never Sioux Falls, but I will not move there if winters get bad if I’m gonna put up with snow I’ll move to Michigan since it’s so beautiful there.

Yep Roanoke and eastern Tennessee would be my choices for east but I really do want to move to west if possible. There isn’t any cheap land near Spokane whatsoever. And rent there seems to be limited at this point in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 02:11 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Give Eastern Oklahoma a look. Maybe Poteau near the Arkansas border and Fort Smith. Bartlesville Ok is another good location to consider. Ok summers are hot though but winters are not near as long as in NJ or Pittsburgh, both places Ive lived and wouldn't go back to even if paid to do so.

Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Give Eastern Oklahoma a look. Maybe Poteau near the Arkansas border and Fort Smith. Bartlesville Ok is another good location to consider. Ok summers are hot though but winters are not near as long as in NJ or Pittsburgh, both places Ive lived and wouldn't go back to even if paid to do so.

NJ is absolutely brutal. I saw how many people we have now absolutely insane. Somehow our government will still not have enough money…. They would tax air if they could. Pittsburgh does look nice I hate cities but I didn’t mind it there I went to visit once…. Pretty cheap to but I don’t like state of Pa either, whole northeast culture is sh*t…..

Thank you for the recommendations, you aren’t the first to mention Eastern Oklahoma to me! An area I’ve never looked into before.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:43 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Northwestern Oklahoma is more conservative and somewhat less humid. Enid is the biggest city there of 50,000 and is in the only county of northwestern Oklahoma that voted yes on medical marijuana, but by just barely. All of northwest Oklahoma strongly voted NO on expanding Medicaid as offered by ObamaCare.

For me personally, northwest Oklahoma is too conservative and isn't growing, along with the flatness and lack of trees, though small buttes periodically rise during the drive along some of the highways, like Highway 51, distract some from the monotony.

Southwest Oklahoma might be interesting but the biggest city there, Lawton, isn't as conservative as Enid. Southwest Oklahoma has the Wichita Mountains, which are more impressive than the buttes of northwest Oklahoma. Hiking or driving to the top of Mt. Scott is popular and there is a lake nearby. But it's the hottest area of Oklahoma during the summer. Duncan is a nice conservative town not very far from Lawton.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:32 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Grand Junction has been mentioned a couple times. It is a place I considered (and chose otherwise) but now visit every few years. Grand Mesa is close by as is Arches NP and Colorado NM.

Las Cruces, NM, is a good sized city with good weather and things to do. White Sands is not far and the Organ Mountains are right there. It is reasonably close to El Paso.

You might consider Roswell, Clovis, or Hobbs in eastern NM. Close enough to the mountains, fairly "red", smaller towns. Oil country.

It has been decades since I was in Roanoke but it was nice back then. It was very pretty but had some weather issues. The Blue Ridge Parkway and a couple lakes were close by.

I think Santa Fe might not be the best choice but somewhere outside of the city might work. Los Alamos is not too far but might be just as expensive.

Remember, NM is a small state in population (2 million) but large in size - ranked 5th. Half the population lives in the Albuquerque metro. That has an effect on a lot of things, good or bad.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:39 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Do you know Flagstaff averages over 90 inches of snow per year? Several times in past 50 years it has gone over 150. Once over 200 inches. Sometimes under 50. Usually melts but can stick around at times. Could fall in 6 months of year but most comes Dec. to March.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Grand Junction has been mentioned a couple times. It is a place I considered (and chose otherwise) but now visit every few years. Grand Mesa is close by as is Arches NP and Colorado NM.

Las Cruces, NM, is a good sized city with good weather and things to do. White Sands is not far and the Organ Mountains are right there. It is reasonably close to El Paso.

You might consider Roswell, Clovis, or Hobbs in eastern NM. Close enough to the mountains, fairly "red", smaller towns. Oil country.

It has been decades since I was in Roanoke but it was nice back then. It was very pretty but had some weather issues. The Blue Ridge Parkway and a couple lakes were close by.

I think Santa Fe might not be the best choice but somewhere outside of the city might work. Los Alamos is not too far but might be just as expensive.

Remember, NM is a small state in population (2 million) but large in size - ranked 5th. Half the population lives in the Albuquerque metro. That has an effect on a lot of things, good or bad.
Yeah, all those towns in New Mexico are much better to live in then Lawton, OK! So the OP should decide upon some place in New Mexico!

Old 08-17-2021, 07:35 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Tri Cities TN
Blacksburg, VA
Waynesboro, VA

Old 08-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

I just don’t think I would fit in with New Mexico and it’s a really poorly run state. I’ll pass. It tempts me but I just get feeling it wouldn’t work out.

Maybe someday I’ll get a cabin in Angel Fire area.

No place has great weather besides southern California, but Virginia from what I’ve seen has seasons and nothing extreme which to me is close to perfect.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Do you know Flagstaff averages over 90 inches of snow per year? Several times in past 50 years it has gone over 150. Once over 200 inches. Sometimes under 50. Usually melts but can stick around at times. Could fall in 6 months of year but most comes Dec. to March.

I haven’t really looked into there to much, but I didn’t realize snow gets that bad there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.