Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 03:06 PM

367 posts, read 585,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Please list them?

When I say downtown, I’m referring to the downtown and surrounding immediate areas since every city defines there downtowns differently.
Nashville, Charleston, Austin, Ashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 04:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It depends what you call "downtown." Downtown Vancouver is pretty boring too if you define it as the office core. If you define it more broadly it has great 18-hour-plus districts all around. I typically say "greater Downtown" to leave that open.

Residential density is a huge factor. Vancouver probably exceeds 50,000 per square mile over several square miles. I tallied Seattle census tracts and get residential densities of 31,317 over 2.71 square miles (84,971 people) and 27,647 over 4.76 square miles (131,507 people). That's half again what we had in 2010 but still a ways behind. SF, Boston, Philly, and Chicago would compare better.

Seattle's numbers fell during early Covid but slanted way up since then and reached a new high. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-high-in-2021/
When someone in Vancouver says they are going downtown, they mean any neighbourhood that is on the downtown peninsula.

Realtors, city planners etc may define it differently, but common usage means the above. For example, someone living in the west end of Vancouver, would find it odd if they were told they don't live downtown.

For those who don't know Vancouver, the west end is not to be confused with the westside, or West Vancouver.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:24 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times
Since this conversation came from a talk about Downtown LA, I think it should be noted that downtown LA hasn’t been a “destination” since the 1960s and up until recently wasn’t a super desirable area of the city. Even today there are plenty of half-vacant buildings and it dissipates into Skid Row. So Los Angeles is a more extreme example of a city that doesn’t/didn’t have its downtown as a destination. The area is quickly changing though and it’s seen many of the vacant/abandoned buildings in its downtown renovated and a lot of new construction in general has brought new life in the area.

In general, due to urban renewal, white flight, suburbanization, downtowns in the USA, which were already pretty shabby by World War 2, lost a lot of their appeal. Downtown areas in the USA generally hit their low-point around 1990 but since then, and at a increasing pace, pretty much all downtown areas of metros with 500,000 plus people have seen large scale revival as places to visit and live, with a couple of exceptions of course, and Downtown LA has been a bit slower in this trend, partially because the high-activity areas of the city are spread out to many different neighborhoods.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:44 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
If you are looking for vibrant downtowns in the US, there are only a handful of cities that have that type of vibe.

Downtowns that have consistently decent crowds of people, from early morning to just past midnight.

These are ones I've visited or lived in:

New York City - by far, is in a category of its own in the US.

Chicago - 2nd busiest, easily, after NYC

San Francisco
Miami Beach
Nashville
New Orleans

Seattle
Honolulu
Philadelphia
Boston

*Las Vegas strip - but this is not downtown Las Vegas

Some notable large city downtowns that need a good amount of work, to create consistent vibrancy:

Los Angeles
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta

Old 08-16-2021, 10:45 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If you are looking for vibrant downtowns in the US, there are only a handful of cities that have that type of vibe.

San Francisco
Miami Beach
Nashville
New Orleans

Seattle
Honolulu
Philadelphia
Boston

Some notable large city downtowns that need a good amount of work, to create consistent vibrancy:

Los Angeles
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
+1 Pretty much right on.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:50 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Downtowns that have consistently decent crowds of people, from early morning to just past midnight.

San Francisco
Miami Beach
Nashville
New Orleans

Seattle
Honolulu
Philadelphia
Boston

Los Angeles
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
quite a few missing here... Savannah, Charleston, etc

Old 08-17-2021, 02:41 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I actually thought Phoenix's downtown wasn't horrible. It's not great, not a destination by any means, but it has the light rail, the Arizona Center, a few museums, some cool sculptures, a fair amount of people walking around even on the weekend. Nice consistent desert aesthetic too (though Albuquerque does it better). If the Roosevelt Arts District counts as part of downtown --- which I feel like it does, since it's inside the freeway loop --- then that also adds a lot. It was more the neighborhoods where Phoenix disappointed me.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:53 AM

156 posts, read 168,903 times
Memphis, TN. Good food, good music, and a giant pyramid with a Bass Pro Shop in it.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
quite a few missing here... Savannah, Charleston, etc
eh, I've been to both. Great small cities that have a good tourist flow. I adore Charleston.

For their size, they are bustling, and vibrant. But they are also very slow, historic and "sleepy" southern cities, that's part of their charm.

I'm on the fence about including them. Because then I feel like you'd have to include busy tourist cities like Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, Santa Barbara, Atlantic City, Reno, Gatlinburg, Ocean City, Branson, etc....although Savannah and Charleston are much larger than all these.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I actually thought Phoenix's downtown wasn't horrible. It's not great, not a destination by any means, but it has the light rail, the Arizona Center, a few museums, some cool sculptures, a fair amount of people walking around even on the weekend. Nice consistent desert aesthetic too (though Albuquerque does it better). If the Roosevelt Arts District counts as part of downtown --- which I feel like it does, since it's inside the freeway loop --- then that also adds a lot. It was more the neighborhoods where Phoenix disappointed me.
It's come a long way in the past 20 years. It has good bones, and good potential.

Problem is, it's just mostly sparse with people, and just plain dead in many areas. Way, way too quiet.

I think it will continue to grow, but it needs density--and more people living there, working there and visiting there--to fill up the quiet streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.