Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 07:29 AM

458 posts, read 350,750 times

Advertisements

Lesser discussed cities on here that have pretty vibrant downtowns:

Detroit
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Omaha
Chatanooga
Des Moines
Lexington
Madison
Orlando
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:32 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
Memphis, TN. Good food, good music, and a giant pyramid with a Bass Pro Shop in it.
Memphis is one of those cities that will surprise you with its liveliness: where downtown is vibrant on certain streets and in a few pockets. The Beale Street area and the south Main areas have good vibrancy and people out and about walking.

There are just a lot of quiet, "dead" zones in downtown Memphis. It's the exact same problem that the large majority of downtowns have.

Many US downtowns have bulldozed historic dense houses or townhomes in their downtown areas, where vibrancy was in full effect, in the early part of the 20th century. They have replaced those busy downtown pocket neighborhoods with large automobile parking lots, under-utilized stadiums or arenas, half full to nearly empty office buildings, or just large buildings that do not attract any street activity, whatsoever.

Most downtowns in the US are just sad with their level of "dead."

Anyway, Memphis is actually better with bustling activity, than most cities its size downtown.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:37 PM

169 posts, read 127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle 1st and 2nd Ave and Belltown are pretty lively on the weekends and evenings:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...4d-122.3467139

And Pike Place is always lively if you want a people zoo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6084...!7i6000!8i3000 (and this was taken during the pandemic)

Pretty decent for a relatively newer American city that grew mostly during the car era.
Beautiful images

Old 08-18-2021, 12:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
New Orleans is not “infinitely” more busy at night than any +5 million metro with maybeeee the exception being Boston due to culture… even adjusted adjusted for population. Don’t let the French Quarter/Bourbon street wrap the reality of the city.

Yes, we actually should replace downtown with urban core as downtowns aren't defined the same so it’s an objectively apples to oranges comparison. It’s an arbitrary term.
The original quote was about Atlanta and Dallas.
Umm the city is not just the French Quarter, downtown also includes the CBD and Warehouse District.

I'd assume those neighborhoods are busier on a Monday night than downtown Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
eh, I've been to both. Great small cities that have a good tourist flow. I adore Charleston.

For their size, they are bustling, and vibrant. But they are also very slow, historic and "sleepy" southern cities, that's part of their charm.

I'm on the fence about including them. Because then I feel like you'd have to include busy tourist cities like Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, Santa Barbara, Atlantic City, Reno, Gatlinburg, Ocean City, Branson, etc....although Savannah and Charleston are much larger than all these.
I think Charleston has a case at least. Their downtown is pretty solid, moreso than Savannah, Santa Barbara, Daytona Beach, etc.

St. Pete should probably be included as well. It’s not quite in the same league as Boston and San Francisco, but it definitely has a vibrant downtown.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:59 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Lesser discussed cities on here that have pretty vibrant downtowns:

Detroit
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Omaha
Chatanooga
Des Moines
Lexington
Madison
Orlando
no. not really. Orlando's downtown is not vibrant. Dad owned a restaurant down there... its a 4/10. It has a great nightlife/club scene of Friday and Saturday nights though. However, with Creative Village/UCF/SoDo Infill, t might be in just 4-7 years. We shall see...

Old 08-18-2021, 06:32 PM

860 posts, read 697,914 times
Burlington VT especially given how small it is. Even when UVM isn’t in session it has a very lively feel

Old 08-18-2021, 09:14 PM

272 posts, read 246,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
quite a few missing here... Savannah, Charleston, etc
I’m asking for mostly big international cities.

Thank you though

Old 08-18-2021, 09:45 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
I’m asking for mostly big international cities.

Thank you though
Then all 6 or 7 of the 6 or 7 international/alpha large cities bar LA which downtown isn't really all that interesting.. yet.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
no. not really. Orlando's downtown is not vibrant. Dad owned a restaurant down there... its a 4/10. It has a great nightlife/club scene of Friday and Saturday nights though. However, with Creative Village/UCF/SoDo Infill, t might be in just 4-7 years. We shall see...
Disagree, downtown Orlando is much better than Des Moines or Grand Rapids, or Lexington etc.
For a metro nearing three million it is underwhelming but overall it is more dense especially residentially than you would think. Lots of midrise residential and a nice Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.