Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 02:07 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Agreed. One could make a good argument that Eastern NC is where the Deep South "begins." It is practically indistinguishable in geography, culture, and demographics from most places for which the "Deep South" moniker is traditionally or typically reserved, i.e. the majority of states such as Alabama or South Carolina.
Well they are in the same region ecologically speaking. Region 65 goes from Virginia to TN near Memphis in an arc around the Appalachian foothills. I'd say regions 65, 73, 74, and 35 are the deep south. Outside of there it's different culturally.

It's interesting how the 'deep south' is sandwiched in between faster growing regions both to the north and south. I understand why the delta is slow growing, it's not prime real estate for building, but the coastal plains on either side should be good spots to develop geographically speaking. I wonder if development will pick up in these spots as time goes on and people get sick of insurance premiums of living on the coast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:34 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times
I would actually say St. Louis. I know most of its residents would strongly object to my characterization, but I've lived there, along with multiple places in TN, NC, and GA. And of every place I've lived, the one with the most laws that seemed to be religiously-based was there. Like all the strip clubs at the time were in Illinois due to restrictive laws in Missouri. That is the most prominent example of weird religious-based laws. Also, I can't recall exactly, but I believe video rental stores at the time were not allowed to have X-rated videos.

It's probably due to a super-conservative state government, and for all the talk about 'local control,' they can't stand it when the locals disagree. So St. Louis was under their thumb.

So I consider St. Louis to be part of the Bible Belt, and I consider 'Deep South' and 'Bible Belt' essentially synonymous. Atlanta, where I am now, is technically in the Deep South but seems far more out of place in it than St. Louis.

I'd also say plenty of areas in Ohio outside the big metros. I recall visiting my wife's family there (small town between Cincinnati and Columbus) and the top stories in the local paper always had something to do with religion. Everyone went to church. It was very much what I consider Bible Belt/Deep South. Columbus was an hour away but had a totally different vibe, and felt more stereo-typically Midwestern.

I've also lived in Memphis, which some people have mentioned. I've always thought of it as strongly Bible-Belt Deep South.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:48 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
The Baltimore area, and MD Eastern Shore could qualify as deep south.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:52 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,120,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You started WW3. Let me get my popcorn

Waiting for the 'Baltimore isn't southern' crowd

Old 08-17-2021, 07:11 PM

245 posts, read 652,777 times
Atlanta has an awesome civil rights museum, and it has a decent bit on laws they had in Maryland. I don't know if Baltimore culturally fits since I've only been there a few times, but historically, yeah, it definitely does.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:14 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Plus one for the bravery

Old 08-17-2021, 07:15 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
[...continued]
"Mid-South" may once have had wider currency, back when river barges carried a lot of freight, but these days isn't heard much outside the Memphis area. "Deep South" OTOH has been seemingly growing, even beyond its Cotton Belt roots to encompass anything vaguely Southern.

The question is: how far up the rivers does it go? How about the coastal plain? It doesn't include Hampton Roads in Virginia, but how about the Peanut Belt between Petersburg and Norfolk?

Old 08-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
You started WW3. Let me get my popcorn

Waiting for the 'Baltimore isn't southern' crowd
Their opinions won't change that fact.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Plus one for the bravery
Thanks. Lol

Old 08-17-2021, 09:38 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
I classify the deep south by states and not so much region, but southeastern NC does give off deep south vibes. As someone who grew up in the sandhills of NC, it felt very southern especially compared to places like Raleigh. People down there don't refer to every soft drink as coke as they do in the states further south, but it's still very stereotypically southern. They drink sweet tea, say ma'am and sir, love football, churches are everywhere, hunting deer is a sport, etc. I remember Youtuber Nick Johnson said NC wasn't a southern state when I'm like "have you been outside of Raleigh?" NC is very southern outside the big cities. Even here in Clayton gives a southern vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.