Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 10:03 PM

9 posts, read 13,268 times

Advertisements

I know this is a bit of a stretch since these cities are in different states, but looking for anyone that has experience with both Green Bay and Grand Rapids. I have job offers in both areas, and I'm having a hard time deciding.

My personal experience with Michigan life comes from northern Michigan -- the Traverse City area. If I had a choice, this is where I'd move, but my employer doesn't have a presence in the area. Grand Rapids seems like it has a decent health care system and cultural life, the lake is close by (we are sailors), but it I really only know the coastal towns/cities in that area, and not much about the city vibe.

I'm familiar with Green Bay, but it's hard to tell what life there is like there. It's kind of flat compared to Michigan, but pretty. Door county is close by. Seems kind of laid back and quiet, which isn't necessarily a draw back to me.

Anyone out there have personal experience with both? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 06:54 AM

457 posts, read 349,008 times
I would think it depends on ultimately what you want to be closest to. Wisconsin and Michigan are two of my favorite states, and Green Bay and Grand Rapids are two of my favorite cities to visit. Grand Rapids is about a 30 minute drive from beaches but I believe the outdoor life in terms of nature trails and woods start sooner than that. Green Bay is in a pretty recreation rich area itself.

If you want to be closer to amenities like shopping, dining, entertainment(outside of the 8 home Packer games a year), and good medical facilities, Grand Rapids is a better bet I'd think. I'd also assume it would have larger selection and more diverse options in terms of rental units and homes to choose from just based on size.

If those things aren't as important to be close to, and you prefer a slightly more Northwoods feel Green Bay would be the choice. You can get all of the things mentioned above and in better quantities in Milwaukee, you just have to drive an extra 90 minutes to get to them.

Personally I'd probably go with Grand Rapids because I prefer more options in my day to day life, and I also like the access to the Michigan north country. The Michigan side of the lake is prettier than the WI side IMHO.

Last edited by Landolakes90; 08-26-2021 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-26-2021, 08:26 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Grand Rapids seems like it has more going on, besides the Packer games. Also more of an upscale city, whereas Green Bay is more blue collar. Both great places, but it seems like Grand Rapids is more what you're looking for.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:58 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Green Bay of course is directly on the water, and it's a similar distance to the main part of Lake Michigan.
It's also closer to Door County than Grand Rapids is to that Traverse City area.
The northwoods start less than an hour away, and Appleton is very close by for more dining/shopping options. It's a pretty large area itself.
Grand Rapids seems to be Michigan's bright spot in terms of growth and economy.
Both areas are nice, but I prefer Wisconsin over Michigan (just personal preference), as it tends to be less touristy than the Michigan side.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:03 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
^^ Does Green Bay being directly on the water really give it much advantage though? My understanding is that the "beach" near Green Bay is mostly rocks with ugly looking water. Similar to this: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5381...!7i8704!8i4352

Old 08-26-2021, 10:50 AM

255 posts, read 159,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
^^ Does Green Bay being directly on the water really give it much advantage though? My understanding is that the "beach" near Green Bay is mostly rocks with ugly looking water. Similar to this: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5381...!7i8704!8i4352
Not only this, but while the city of Grand Rapids doesn't sit on Lake Michigan, the MSA does. This includes beach towns like Grand Haven and Holland plus the many others that are within an easy drive.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:28 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Not only this, but while the city of Grand Rapids doesn't sit on Lake Michigan, the MSA does. This includes beach towns like Grand Haven and Holland plus the many others that are within an easy drive.
This, to me, is a toss-up. Both Green Bay and Grand Rapids are 30 miles/40 minutes from Lake Michigan beach towns. The Green Bay MSA also includes Kewaunee County, which sits right on lake Michigan.

Holland is more upscale and touristy than Kewaunee or Algoma, but which is better comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Yeah I don't think Green Bay itself has much in the way of swimming beaches. The direct water access is an advantage is for boating and fishing though.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:44 PM

255 posts, read 159,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
This, to me, is a toss-up. Both Green Bay and Grand Rapids are 30 miles/40 minutes from Lake Michigan beach towns. The Green Bay MSA also includes Kewaunee County, which sits right on lake Michigan.

Holland is more upscale and touristy than Kewaunee or Algoma, but which is better comes down to personal preference.

Yeah I don't think Green Bay itself has much in the way of swimming beaches. The direct water access is an advantage is for boating and fishing though.
I agree. The post I made was more implying that despite not being on Lake Michigan, the Grand Rapids area has an abundance of water. And while Green Bay is near beach towns, I would think the Michigan side is way more popular for good reason. I do agree that it's a toss up in terms of nature. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to Holland or Grand Rapids as upscale either. Grand Rapids pulls away though IMO because of its size and things that come with a bigger city.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:55 AM

9 posts, read 13,268 times
Thanks, everyone. I have a distinct preference for Michigan, and my husband is leaning toward Green Bay, so it may just come down to who makes the most compelling argument -- salary is higher in Grand Rapids, but then so is the real estate.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:39 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA35 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I have a distinct preference for Michigan, and my husband is leaning toward Green Bay, so it may just come down to who makes the most compelling argument -- salary is higher in Grand Rapids, but then so is the real estate.
Doubt you’d go wrong with either one.
Both areas are nice, and both states aren’t drastically different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.