Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 02:55 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Summertime Chicago can kinda pull it off in season. It's September 17th, and it's going to be 86 today. For the last 4 months, almost every single day has been somewhere in the mid 80s, plus or minus 10 degrees. After 4 months non-stop of sunny warm weather, it kinda feels tropical. They'll even bring in temporary palm trees at some of the beaches, and with the urban heating effect it often does not cool down much at night.

Two months from now, near Thanksgiving and it's either snow flurrying and mid-50s is considered warm - different story. The times of year are so different it almost feels like living in two cities at once.

Right, and the summer months in much of the snowbirding hotspots in the US can be pretty miserable what with oppressively hot temperatures and the threat of hurricanes for Gulf and southerly Atlantic coast spots, very high temperatures for the inland desert south, and the threat of fire in the western states (and the Pacific waters are pretty cold). I think it's time to let all the kids know that they want to summer in the Cleve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 04:18 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandaddy View Post
Summertime Chicago can kinda pull it off in season. It's September 17th, and it's going to be 86 today. For the last 4 months, almost every single day has been somewhere in the mid 80s, plus or minus 10 degrees. After 4 months non-stop of sunny warm weather, it kinda feels tropical. They'll even bring in temporary palm trees at some of the beaches, and with the urban heating effect it often does not cool down much at night.

Two months from now, near Thanksgiving and it's either snow flurrying and mid-50s is considered warm - different story. The times of year are so different it almost feels like living in two cities at once.
Yes. Definitely Chicago...

... and even over in Cleveland, also, during that small 3-4 month window. [true story], the last weekend in July on a muggy, 88-degree day; we went over to the much cleaned up Edgewater beach (just 2.5 miles east of downtown) and its beautiful new 2-story beach house connected by an elevated walkway over the parking lot driveway. I snapped a few photos of the lush, crowded beach/beach house and waters, also featuring lines of folks at the food stand (with potted palms for accent) and camera angles overlooking the beach, crowded blue waters with people, then further out, sailboats, all sorts of yachts, pleasure craft, both water and jet skiers and, further off, the jutting Lakewood shoreline with its sexy highrise 'Gold Coast' apts. Nearly everyone in the photos was smiling... I then texted these photos to friends just saying 'hello'... and several of these friends texted back asking whether I was in Florida or California. No lie...

So, I guess ...

Old 09-17-2021, 04:33 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yes. Definitely Chicago...

... and even over in Cleveland, also, during that small 3-4 month window. [true story], the last weekend in July on a muggy, 88-degree day; we went over to the much cleaned up Edgewater beach (just 2.5 miles east of downtown) and its beautiful new 2-story beach house connected by an elevated walkway over the parking lot driveway. I snapped a few photos of the lush, crowded beach/beach house and waters, also featuring lines of folks at the food stand (with potted palms for accent) and camera angles overlooking the beach, crowded blue waters with people, then further out, sailboats, all sorts of yachts, pleasure craft, both water and jet skiers and, further off, the jutting Lakewood shoreline with its sexy highrise 'Gold Coast' apts. Nearly everyone in the photos was smiling... I then texted these photos to friends just saying 'hello'... and several of these friends texted back asking whether I was in Florida or California. No lie...

So, I guess ...
There's beach towns that are hopping in the summer all along the East Coast up to Rhode Island and Massachusetts. I mean is Martha's Vinyard tropical because you can have a poolside party there overlooking the ocean in mid-July? Does it feel 'tropical'? I think it feels 'summery'. And unless you're up in some parts of Alaska, you generally can get a 'summery' feel everywhere in the United States for at least a month or two out of the year.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsHEKy8N14

This video I thought portrayed Chicago in a very interesting light. Interestingly, it was shot in both Miami and Chicago. And some random lake somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.