Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 05:24 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
In the Midwest they were considered and called Tornado Sirens but some places have a loud booming voice that sounds like God telling you to take cover. It freaked me out the first time I heard it.
Omg, I've seen those on Youtube, but I am more scared of a siren sound than a gigantic voice telling me to take cover. I can understand why people are scared of the voice more though. The voice is there for a reason, so that people do not feel extremely alarmed when they just hear a siren. I wish I can hear the voice alarms in real life like the video of a voice alarm near some random Pizza Hut in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 08:29 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
We just call them tornado sirens in Denver

Old 09-04-2021, 08:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Is it possible the siren is near a chemical plant or something similar that might have an alarm system for chemical spills or other similar events?
Chemical plants would never let people know when there's an accident unless it has to. Many incidents occur that the public isn't aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
We just call them tornado sirens in Denver
When's the last time you heard it?

Old 09-05-2021, 06:54 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chemical plants would never let people know when there's an accident unless it has to. Many incidents occur that the public isn't aware of.

When's the last time you heard it?
I live far East so they’re pretty close. They only test them every now and then. I’d say about a month ago

Old 09-05-2021, 07:05 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Oops I meant to post this in the NJ forum, but there is not button for me to delete this thread. Anyways, it's okay.

I know that NJ has "air raid" sirens, which go off for various reasons and for storms too, but whenever a bad rain storm was happening, I would hear this alarm sound that was not an air raid siren. What is the name of this type of siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT5s...thJerseySirens

You have to turn the volume up to hear it.
Are you wanting to know the particular brand of siren?

Quote:
I live far East so they’re pretty close. They only test them every now and then. I’d say about a month ago
Most places test them once a month. In Louisville they test them on the first Wednesday of the month. I believe they test them weekly in Memphis. I'm up hanging in Grand Rapids for the holiday weekend, and apparently Michigan tests them on the first Friday of the month at noon. We were having brunch downtown and they have a massive one at the top of a building and it had an unnervingly powerful resonance amongst all the buildings.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:58 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Is it possible the siren is near a chemical plant or something similar that might have an alarm system for chemical spills or other similar events?
Arizona has sirens for the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (nation’s largest nuclear plant) on the far west side of Phoenix. As far as I am aware these are the only sirens in the whole state.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:50 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
That's so odd, I worked in Louisville for years and don't recall hearing a siren.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:01 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Are you wanting to know the particular brand of siren?
I actually want to know the particular sound, not the brand. For example, the regular siren you here is just called an "air raid siren" where the sound goes up and down like a police siren. But this sound in the video used for storms only is just a solid sound of two different notes. I never knew what is called.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
The emergency warning system? Generally for tornado warnings, and tested once a week, here it's at noon on Saturday. Or do you have something in addition to that?
I was curious if people were talking the emergency broadcast system over the radio, or actual sirens. But I guess people are talking about actual speakered sirens. I’ve heard of tornado sirens in the Midwest and Memphis (they had it in Twister right?). But I’d have never guessed NJ. I’ve never heard one in the Carolinas. I think there is a siren over by the nuclear power plant for obvious reasons. Otherwise, unsure I ever heard a siren outside a building’s fire alarm.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:34 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Baltimore used to have one that sounded just like an air raid siren. I don't remember what they called it, but I always called it the air raid siren. They tested it once a week (or was it once a month?) but they haven't done so in probably at least 10 years now. The only time I remember it being used for real was when a freight train derailed in a tunnel under downtown and caught fire, releasing toxic gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.