Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these do you consider as part of the 'East Coast'? (choose all that apply)
District of Columbia 99 92.52%
Pennsylvania 90 84.11%
Vermont 79 73.83%
West Virginia 20 18.69%
None of these are East Coast jurisdictions 3 2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 06:12 PM

915 posts, read 563,187 times

Advertisements

Back in the pre-Civil War era, "the East" referred specifically to New England, which is decidedly to the east of the rest of the original states. There is one modern residue of this older and otherwise archaic usage: the Eastern States Exposition, aka The Big E, which is the collective state fair for the New England States in late September in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 05:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 809,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with the Western use of "back East" and while I've only heard it used a time or two, I can see the correlation with the coastal mid-Atlantic/Northeast, just as "East Coast" traditionally has from my perspective. But that doesn't mean that the two terms would be used interchangeably since they aren't exact equivalents. A Californian would say "I'm from back East" but would be more likely to say "New York is the largest city on the East Coast" instead of "New York is the largest city back East." "Back East" has more of a personal connotation to it.

Go check this out and then tell me it's not a Gulf Coast city.

Aside from that, it's a port city, has a private-sector economy built on oil & gas, and has Creole and Cajun culture, does Mardi Gras big, etc. What else would Baton Rouge be if not a Gulf Coast city?

I concur.
I hear westerners refer to Chicago and St Louis as back East in modern times. I thought back east meant east of the Mississippi since the US was pretty empty between the Mississippi and California prior to the civil war. The South being grouped with the East makes more sense nowadays since most of the south is in the eastern half of the US, but Texas and Oklahoma are the two exceptions. Texas being a fortiner western state the aligned itself with the south despite its western influences and being formerly a part of Mexico. Texas served as California's Southern counterpart during the mid 19th century and still does to this day and two of the biggest economies in the US.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Back in the pre-Civil War era, "the East" referred specifically to New England, which is decidedly to the east of the rest of the original states. There is one modern residue of this older and otherwise archaic usage: the Eastern States Exposition, aka The Big E, which is the collective state fair for the New England States in late September in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Citation please. I find it hard to believe that NYC and Philadelphia were not considered to be “the east” in 1860. The Louisiana Purchase was 1803. Kansas was a state on January 29, 1861. The Civil War was a few months after that.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:29 AM

915 posts, read 563,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Citation please. I find it hard to believe that NYC and Philadelphia were not considered to be “the east” in 1860. The Louisiana Purchase was 1803. Kansas was a state on January 29, 1861. The Civil War was a few months after that.
Here's an illustrative example from 1844:

https://digitalmaine.com/maps/196/

Old 09-10-2021, 12:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I hear westerners refer to Chicago and St Louis as back East in modern times. I thought back east meant east of the Mississippi since the US was pretty empty between the Mississippi and California prior to the civil war. The South being grouped with the East makes more sense nowadays since most of the south is in the eastern half of the US, but Texas and Oklahoma are the two exceptions. Texas being a fortiner western state the aligned itself with the south despite its western influences and being formerly a part of Mexico. Texas served as California's Southern counterpart during the mid 19th century and still does to this day and two of the biggest economies in the US.
Yeah I get that sense as well.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
I don't consider West Virginia to be really East Coast, but the other places yes. West Virginia is more the South. I think when most people say "East Coast" they don't really include the South, not even coastal cities like Savannah and Charleston SC.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:09 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
P Larsen makes a good point, I seen somewhere New England described as the "Eastern states" and I am not sure if the rest of the Northeast was included or not.

However it turns out that Geoff is right historically, the Eastern States Exposition originally included New England AND the Mid-Atlantic - "All six New England states plus Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania participated".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ea...tes_Exposition

Today the Big E is for New England. Not sure why the other Northeast states stop exhibiting at the BIG E but I am guessing it was because they had they own state fairs, I know New York has one of the largest and oldest in the country.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:16 PM

342 posts, read 320,412 times
East coast is more than just geography, it's also a mindset. West Virginia does not have an east coast mindset.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:56 PM

3,540 posts, read 2,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
So at what point are you drawing the line in a state like NC? Is Charlotte East Coast? Or is it Raleigh? Or do you start with the coastal plain and Fayetteville? Seems like you are making thrice the work for little profit.
Pittsburgh is geographically more eastern than Charlotte or Miami... hence the "east coast"

The term is generally used to describe the Bos-Wash corridor due to the geographic proximity of the primary cities in relationship to each other and the surrounding mega region(s) and the resulting shared cultural, historic, economic, architectural, demographic ties said cities have with one another.

Florida is its own thing

"The South" generally encompasses everything East of the Mississippi, North of Florida and South of DC/NoVa (of which there are sub regions as well i.e the Deep South which refers to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianan etc..)

Old 09-14-2021, 02:03 PM

624 posts, read 906,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I live in TX, back east means to me east of Ohio, up north the midwest states Ohio to the Dakotas, down south TX to VA, out west, west of the Dakotas, NE, KS, OK, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.