Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these do you consider as part of the 'East Coast'? (choose all that apply)
District of Columbia 99 92.52%
Pennsylvania 90 84.11%
Vermont 79 73.83%
West Virginia 20 18.69%
None of these are East Coast jurisdictions 3 2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2021, 10:28 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times

Advertisements

As a corollary to this discussion, lots of references were made to the East Coast, and these states in particular.

I think we can all agree that any State that borders the Atlantic Ocean (excl. the Gulf of Mexico) is East Coast, which includes:
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia

But there are four other entities - D.C., Pennsylvania, Vermont, and West Virginia - that are arguably "of the East Coast" due to proximity, economic links, culture and history.

Do you consider these East Coast even though they don't border the Atlantic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 10:59 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Take the width of the widest east coast state then draw your east coast line the same width from the coast. It captures all of those.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:35 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
I didn’t realize DC was a question mark. I mean I think all but West Virginia are clearly East Coast. But I’m unsure I could even squint to pretend to see an argument against DC.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
DC and Philly are a short way up the river, and their commute ranges include salt water. Absolutely they're East Coast.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:01 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Both the Delaware and Potomac rivers are tidal estuaries at Philadelphia and Washington. I would say that makes the District and Pennsylvania "coastal" states.

Vermont is one because, even though it is landlocked, all of the US states that border it have coastlines, and you wouldn't put it in its own region because it lacks one.

I think West Virginia is a question mark because, unlike New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia, all of it lies within Appalachia, which is an interior region of the country. (Appalachia includes parts of the other three states, and Pittsburgh is the largest city in Appalachia.)

Old 09-06-2021, 02:14 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
All, but West Virginia. The Philly area of PA is, but I dunno if I’d call Western PA East Coast.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Don't know about West Virginia but Vermont is part of New England and New England is coastal. Vermont's river, the Connecticut, drains into the Atlantic ocean but mostly it's coastal because it's New England.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:29 PM

771 posts, read 627,183 times
D.C. is the East Coast for sure. It's close to the Chesapeake Bay via the Potomac River, and it's part of the BosWash corridor.

Most of Pennsylvania should be included in the East Coast. Philadelphia is one of the best examples of an East Coast city, similar to New York and Boston. I don't know if I would categorize Pittsburgh or Erie as "East Coast," though. Those areas feel more Midwestern or Great Lakes-influenced, and they definitely feel removed from the Eastern Seaboard. Therefore, I'd say western Pennsylvania is an exception and should be included in whatever region Ohio is located in.

Vermont is East Coast akin to the rest of New England. It's landlocked but still fairly close to the Eastern Seaboard.

West Virginia is one of the hardest states to categorize. It's Appalachian more than anything, but there are southern, Midwestern, and "Rust Belt" influences thrown in, as well. The Eastern Panhandle might have some East Coast influence because it's close to the D.C. metro, but the bulk of the state (Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Wheeling, etc.) has stronger ties to Ohio and western Pennsylvania than the East Coast. As a result, I don't think I'd describe West Virginia as "East Coast."

Old 09-06-2021, 03:46 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
All, but West Virginia. The Philly area of PA is, but I dunno if I’d call Western PA East Coast.
Where are the cut-offs for PA? I'll guess westward it's Berks Co. (excluding Reading) and Lancaster Co. ?

Old 09-06-2021, 03:56 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Where are the cut-offs for PA? I'll guess westward it's Berks Co. (excluding Reading) and Lancaster Co. ?
I would draw the line at the Susquehanna.

Or at the point where you find the easternmost tunnel on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, following the ridge that includes that mountain (I think it's Blue Mountain).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.