Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana part of the East or the West?
They are all part of the Western United States 8 10.00%
They are all part of the Eastern United States 54 67.50%
Some are East, some are West (specify in comments) 18 22.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 01:33 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times

Advertisements

They are all neither. If I live in California and move to Iowa, i'm not telling someone im "moving out east." If I live in NJ and move to Arkansas, I'm not telling someone I'm moving "out west." It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do they feel eastern at all? They don't to me.

I say they feel more western because of their history with the rest of the country.
Absolutely in parts. There are areas that look exactly like eastern states. There is nothing in these states that look unquestionably western.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:24 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
I lived in southern California for 36 years and in eastern Iowa for 27 years. Iowa doesn’t feel at all like the West. I associate it separately from the East and West, but if I had to choose I’d say the East. Same with Missouri, Louisiana and Arkansas. West of the Missouri River starts to feel more like the West and is the transitional dividing line for me.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:30 PM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
The idea that America only has two boxes - east and west - and every state has to be put into one of those boxes is a very coastal centric idea. Minnesota and Iowa are neither east nor west. They are far away from both. Minnesota is closer to the east coast than the west but Minneapolis to New York is a 20 hour drive.

Last edited by Somnifor; 09-14-2021 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 02:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Personally, I always considered the Mississippi River the be the border between the east and west US. So I consider all of these part of the West. I am a bit iffy about Minnesota, since it's largest city is west of the river but my mind strongly associates it with the Great Lakes.

Of course, this would lead to the idea that the Western US borders both the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, via Texas and Louisiana.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
Personally, I always considered the Mississippi River the be the border between the east and west US. So I consider all of these part of the West. I am a bit iffy about Minnesota, since it's largest city is west of the river but my mind strongly associates it with the Great Lakes.

Of course, this would lead to the idea that the Western US borders both the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, via Texas and Louisiana.
The river cuts through Minneapolis but most of Mpls is west of the river. St. Paul is entirely east of the Mississippi.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:33 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The river cuts through Minneapolis but most of Mpls is west of the river. St. Paul is entirely east of the Mississippi.
No it's not. The city's West Side neighborhood is due south of downtown, on the West side of the Mississippi.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No it's not. The city's West Side neighborhood is due south of downtown, on the West side of the Mississippi.
Yeah that's right

Old 09-14-2021, 09:01 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
If you split the entire country by only east and west with no middle, the MN-IA-MO-AR-LO strip would be east and the Frontier Strip (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas) would be west.
yea!

Old 09-15-2021, 06:11 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Eastern. It is a hard sell telling me I grew up in the West in the hills of Southeast Missouri, where I was surrounded by a forest that has Beech and Poplar trees and an average of 48" of rain per year.

Maybe Western Iowa and Minnesota are different, I don't know, but I can't imagine that anyone would think that any part of Arkansas, Louisiana or Missouri are more western than eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.