Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana part of the East or the West?
They are all part of the Western United States 8 10.00%
They are all part of the Eastern United States 54 67.50%
Some are East, some are West (specify in comments) 18 22.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 04:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times

Advertisements

Source Wikimedia: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...a_Purchase.jpg

We've all heard of "the Chef" (the outline made by the states on the Western flank of the Mississippi River), but in the Great East/West battle, where do they fall?

There's the argument that the divider between East/West is the Mississippi River, hence the Gateway Arch in Saint Louis welcoming you to the West. Even Wikipedia states that the Eastern U.S. is the part East of the Mississippi River.

Yet cities like Kansas City market themselves as "a strategic starting point for the American West" and, of course, the Oregon Trail begins at the Western boundary of Missouri, not the Eastern one. Further, geographically, the middle point in the continental U.S. is closer to Kansas City than to Saint Louis.

So where do you place these 5 States: East or West?

(You can also split the baby: for example, I think Minnesota and Louisiana are east because their capitals - Saint Paul/Baton Rouge - are east of the Mississippi River).

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 09-10-2021 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 04:06 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana definitely read more east coast than west. The rest is pretty self-explanatory I think.

Old 09-10-2021, 04:15 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
The Mississippi river is a convenient barrier to use for the divide but the real divide is the dry line which lies between the 98th and 100th meridian. Unfortunately the dry line doesn't follow a straight path but it is consistently between those two lines all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Last edited by eddie gein; 09-10-2021 at 04:25 PM..

Old 09-10-2021, 06:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I'd argue they aren't part of either. Parts of the Midwest could go to the east, Arkansas and Missouri could go to the west, Louisiana is more gulf oriented.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
The Chef is east, easily

Old 09-10-2021, 06:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The Mississippi river is a convenient barrier to use for the divide but the real divide is the dry line which lies between the 98th and 100th meridian. Unfortunately the dry line doesn't follow a straight path but it is consistently between those two lines all the way from Mexico to Canada.

I like to use Colorado's eastern border, then draw it up and down. I would use the 100th meridian, but certainly not somewhere anywhere east of that.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:04 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
The only one that feels even slightly western is Minnesota, and that's more about its lower population density and protected forests (and Minneapolis being a newer-feeling, growing city) than about culture or geography/topography.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
They are neither. They are all mid/ central states.
Why they gotta be one or the other

Old 09-11-2021, 11:56 AM

824 posts, read 713,393 times
I would say there’s some parts of western of MN that feel maybe a bit outside of the orbit the rest of the Eastern USA and considering the Minnesota had basically the largest post-trail of tears Native American conflict and that a lot of the state was settled after the civil war, I’d the possibility of MN being more on the western side of things but at the time, St. Paul and Minneapolis to a lesser extent feel a lot more eastern. Though I’ve heard that some people consider Minneapolis the first city of the west and St. Paul the last city of the east.

Also again even though I think they are overall maybe a bit more eastern, cities like Omaha and Kansas City still feel very different compared to cities on the Mississippi like Dubuque, St. Louis etc, so maybe there’s an argument there for some Missouri River based locations being westernish.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is what I’d go with.
Having lived in Missouri and Arkansas, even the western parts, it was never western really. Maybe in the extreme western boarders like Kansas City where there is some old west history. 10 miles to the east, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.