Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

I was going to run in here and say Memphis as well. I think it and Jackson would win this thread. Though the Alabama cities like Mobile and Birmingham could be mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Winston-Salem, NC is a good choice.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM

279 posts, read 461,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Of "relatively large cities" Jackson, Mississippi seems to have the highest percentage "born in state." If you want bigger Birmingham, Alabama is apparently 82.7% "born in state."

//www.city-data.com/top2/h166.html

Interesting chart. The other cities on the list near Birmingham are considerably smaller............apparently it's somewhat unusual for a city as large as Birmingham to be comprised of so many "natives"...........but this just proves what I've always known - that Birmingham is basically an incestous pool, and the best thing that could happen to that city is for a bunch of non-southerners (even better if they're not black or white) to move to the city.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, it wasn't a joke. I'm well aware of Raleigh's growth and the changes that come with that, which is why I'm always surprised at how much Southern flavor it has retained. I believe that was what the OP was inquiring about, wasn't it?
Most people in Raleigh don't even have southern accents anymore.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,510 times
most unchanged ? Memphis is about as "unchanged" aka "backward" (if you're not moving forward and standing still, then you're pretty much backward)...also Birmingham Alabama which is an easy choice too ! ditto places like Jackson Mississippi or any other city in Mississippi!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
This is an old revived thread from 2010. In addition to that, I believe the OP only posted once anyway.

Those two things aside, I guess I'll chime in on this.

I've heard that over the very recent past (say the last year or two) that Birmingham has begun a revival of it's downtown. Looks as if it has finally been discovered, so perhaps the stagnation it has experienced has started to change.
I would choose New Orleans over Birmingham anyway. It gets a lot more tourists, but it doesn't seem to change very much (besides Katrina).

For smaller towns on the list, the list is a bit larger.
Montgomery, Jackson (MS), Columbus (GA), Macon or Meridian. Take your pick.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 PM

19 posts, read 44,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Ditto for Little Rock, Arkansas.
Little Rock is not that bad compared to Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL.

Downtown has changed and it is much better now.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 AM

53 posts, read 158,417 times
Have you considered the extremely lovely and picturesque small city called Meridian, Mississippi? It was a thriving city in railroad days and persons from all over the USA and world went there to work in that industry leaving the current population not descended from the roots of your typical southerner. Merchant princes from Europe came and built fine and lavish stores downtown many of which have been restored into chic condos now. Fine places to eat abound and housing is very affordable. Three major Medical Centers are in the town. There is a Naval Air Station there and Navy personnel covet being stationed there and it is a popular place for Navy pilots to retire to adding to the eclectic mix of people. Often they will buy a house there and keep it even if they are sent away to other duty posts for years before they retire so they can easily come back there to retire. There are Dutch people there in some numbers due to a company from Holland that had their US division there from many years. Anderson Coopers dad/Gloria Vanderbilt's late husband was from there and Anderson Cooper maintains strong ties to his relatives in the area and is known to be in town several times a year over family visits. Several celebrities come from the city of Meridian including the actress Sela Ward who maintains a home there. The famous speaker maker Hartley Peavey of Peavey Electronics is from there and lives there also and many of his rock star clients and friends come to the area often. It is not unusual at all to spot old and young rock stars out shopping or eating in a restaurant because they are in town visiting him. It is a very fine and fun town with something of a European look and feel since so many first generation Americans from the Continent built it and it is extremely intact architecturally.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

650 posts, read 867,278 times
Birmingham AL

Old 03-27-2015, 12:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Baltimore outside of the gentrified areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.