Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times

Advertisements

Of Southern cities with over 50,000 on the "most born in state" list Victoria, Texas and Owensboro, Kentucky seem to have the "smallest percentage of likely homosexual households" which maybe implies an old-fashioned (or if one prefers backward) quality.

//www.city-data.com/top2/c13.html

If you're willing to go down a ways in size Rome, Georgia seems to be in a highly conservative district and is classed as a pretty historic town.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

(I don't know these towns, I'm probably just misusing statistics)

Last edited by Yac; 12-15-2020 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, it wasn't a joke. I'm well aware of Raleigh's growth and the changes that come with that, which is why I'm always surprised at how much Southern flavor it has retained. I believe that was what the OP was inquiring about, wasn't it?
If you talk to many natives/locals in Raleigh, you'll more often than not hear the opposite. After living in Raleigh for 35 years, it's been interesting to see how the newbies (mostly from the Northeast) "soften" over time. It's also interesting to watch how the newbies have influenced the city in everything from restaurants to NHL Hockey to public education, etc.
Even the areas "inside the beltline" are changing culturally. These are the areas that represent the older part of the city and are the places where you'll find the most Southern flavor retained. Many of these areas have become quite expensive and desirable to a cross section of people.
Regarding the OP, and watching this city change as someone who has been in the area since age 11, I don't see what you see. I would, however, see more Southern culture in other NC cities such as Winston-Salem and Greenville.
Also regarding the OP, I am neither viewing the question as positive nor negative and realize that change has two sides to the coin. That said, I do think that Raleigh has done a remarkable job navigating those waters.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM

389 posts, read 777,044 times
Well, I don't know how many people will agree with me, but I say Savannah Georgia. I lived in Bloomingdale, a Savannah suburb, for 2 years. Savannah's a semi-large city, but it still has a lot of Southern charm left in it.

I don't exactly know 'bout other Southern cities; I haven't lived anywhere else in the south besides Georgia, but Savannah is where ya might wanna look into.

Jessie

Old 06-26-2010, 10:27 PM

389 posts, read 777,044 times
Oh, and about Raleigh, it's not very Southern anymore. It's a lot more "Yankeeish" now.

Jessie

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2LS View Post
Savannah, GA
It seems to be filled with Northern transplants to me.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Your kiddin? they took over their too?

OK - there's some places the yanks probably would NEVER take over in the South. Like Columbus GA, Roanoke, VA, Tupelo Ms. a few cities in AL, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Jackson, Chattanooga?? If these cities get invaded, all hope is lost.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Yeah, they're moving in droves to Savannah and Charleston, but those places still retain their Southern charm by and large (although some of the suburbs may be experiencing a bit of "Yankeefication").

Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
My guess is anywhere that is not growing significantly by migration, in which the list is getting smaller over time. Likely going to be outside of the Atlantic Coast States as well. Some cities mentioned are not like Raleigh NC, Murpheesboro TN since those are fast growing areas that have large numbers of transplants, and some like Huntsville AL, and Greenville SC are areas that are starting to go that way.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Let me put in a plug for Tyler, Texas, as well. It is not a "large city" but very medium sized and not too far from the DFW area (by Texas standards at least! ). Tyler is a beautiful mid-sized Texas/Southern city with lots of growth and opportunites. And the Rose Capital of America!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Let me put in a plug for Tyler, Texas, as well. It is not a "large city" but very medium sized and not too far from the DFW area (by Texas standards at least! ). Tyler is a beautiful mid-sized Texas/Southern city with lots of growth and opportunites. And the Rose Capital of America!
I must rep you for that one TexReb. It is indeed everything you say, and clean and bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.