Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 04:48 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The UC system is pretty crazy.

I feel like nobody knew about UC Irvine or UC Merced a decade ago, now they are climbing the rankings.
A decade ago UC Merced was only 5 years old. UC Irvine was already highly ranked if not well known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 01:39 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
A decade ago UC Merced was only 5 years old. UC Irvine was already highly ranked if not well known.
I would not say UC Irvine was well known 10 years ago, at least here in the Midwest.

Maybe, but I feel like it is mentioned quite a bit more now.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:01 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
I would not say UC Irvine was well known 10 years ago, at least here in the Midwest.
And neither did I.

Old 09-20-2021, 05:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Other than a group of superstar universities, most of them are associated primarily through their athletics. If a school doesn't have a sports brand, it's less likely to be known beyond its region.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:05 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Other than a group of superstar universities, most of them are associated primarily through their athletics. If a school doesn't have a sports brand, it's less likely to be known beyond its region.
Good point. Arizona and Arizona State benefit from this while some of the higher ranked UC-Exit Ramp schools are often barely known east of the Colorado River.

Also, growing up in New England, many people who got into lower Ivies would also consider smaller liberal arts schools like Williams and Amherst which US News ranks separately from "National Universities".

Old 09-29-2021, 09:50 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
The UC system is pretty crazy.

I feel like nobody knew about UC Irvine or UC Merced a decade ago, now they are climbing the rankings.

ALL of the UC's have increased (except Santa Cruz recently)...in fact, my alma mater of UC Riverside is here...University of California, Riverside (#112 > #83) +29...biggest gain of any college on the entire list. It is one of the fastest growing UC's for a reason (barely recognize the campus now) still having a personal touch/more collaborative education, yet still gets down scored some due to its inland empire location and could very well be even higher in ranking. Is ranked number one in Social Mobility in the nation again on US News...third year in a row now. However I will take the consistent gains year over year at UCR due to the first new Californa Medical School in 50 years and its location in one of the fastest growing counties in the nation with projected solid growth through year 2065. You really cannot go wrong at any UC location...the best more affordable public system in the world. As for UC Riverside, the campus is positioned very well to continue onward and upward. Enjoyed my time there and received a solid education...go Highlanders!!

https://www.universityofcalifornia.e...leges-rankings

Last edited by Fisherman99; 09-29-2021 at 09:59 PM..

Old 09-30-2021, 08:06 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

Maybe, but I feel like it is mentioned quite a bit more now.
Are you kidding me??? You didn't know about the mighty Anteaters????

I suppose now you are going to tell me you've never heard of the Banana Slugs!!!

Old 09-30-2021, 08:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
And 15% of the top 100 are in one state, California.
CA covers 2/3rds of the entire west coast. The east coast is 14 states, 15 if you include PA.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
The California state schools benefit from the mass Asian/Indian immigration to California. Those cultures tend to stress academics and the US News metrics heavily weight racial diversity and admission of "socioeconomically challenged" students.

You have to take the US News rankings with a grain of salt since they don't weight academics nearly hard enough and skew heavily towards social justice warrior metrics. A school that mostly caters to upper middle class white kids with good academics gets hammered despite graduating far more qualified students than many higher ranking schools. The poster child for it is the University of Vermont. 60% out of state students paying expensive out of state tuition that props up the school. If you look at SAT scores, class rank to get admitted, and the quality of the academics, it should rank around #60. As US News changed their metrics, it slipped out of the top-100 and is #117 now. State school in a relatively poor rural state that's the whitest place in the country. No endowment fund to speak of because it's a state school. They have no choice but to finance the university on the backs of upper middle class students from affluent Northeast Corridor suburbia who pay full tuition. The University of Maine and the University of New Hampshire don't have quite that level of academics but they're also weighted well below where they should be based on the US News SJW metrics.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:47 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The California state schools benefit from the mass Asian/Indian immigration to California. Those cultures tend to stress academics and the US News metrics heavily weight racial diversity and admission of "socioeconomically challenged" students.

You have to take the US News rankings with a grain of salt since they don't weight academics nearly hard enough and skew heavily towards social justice warrior metrics. A school that mostly caters to upper middle class white kids with good academics gets hammered despite graduating far more qualified students than many higher ranking schools. The poster child for it is the University of Vermont. 60% out of state students paying expensive out of state tuition that props up the school. If you look at SAT scores, class rank to get admitted, and the quality of the academics, it should rank around #60. As US News changed their metrics, it slipped out of the top-100 and is #117 now. State school in a relatively poor rural state that's the whitest place in the country. No endowment fund to speak of because it's a state school. They have no choice but to finance the university on the backs of upper middle class students from affluent Northeast Corridor suburbia who pay full tuition. The University of Maine and the University of New Hampshire don't have quite that level of academics but they're also weighted well below where they should be based on the US News SJW metrics.
Social justice warrior? SJW metrics? ... oooookaaaay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.