Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 06:17 PM

914 posts, read 562,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
What does mounting stairs mean? I looked that up and couldn't understand.
Coming up the stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 06:58 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
You would only lock the doors so the kids don't go outside and not because you're worried about someone breaking in? I understand some people are using you can leave your doors unlocked more as a figure of speech but then you have a few people saying crazy stuff. Look at this post below.
No that's not what I said. I didn't say that I would never be worried about someone breaking in; in certain places I would be very worried about that.

But I would want my little children locked in at night even if I wasn't worried about break-ins.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:43 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Coming up the stairs.
When you said "mounting stairs", I actually thought you meant he was fixing stairs, which is similar to some scam in Long Island where driveway workers would look for ugly driveways and renovate someone's driveway without their permission, and then demand money.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Why would I want to live in a place where I fear for my safety so much I have to worry about locking my doors?

Truck would usually be unlocked with keys on the floor in one of the marinas I charter fished out of for years. Hey, somebody might have needed to move it or something!

Can **** happen? Sure! But I'm not going to live my life worrying about it.

And yes, I did wake up one morning with an intruder in the house. Though the stomping around with boots on and going straight to the toilet to take a dump pretty much told me he meant no harm...just a drunkin mistake. And after he left, with quite an exchange of words ("who the F are you and what the F are you doing in my house") and I called the police I found quite the DR's list of medications he was on...and his name and address of course, I didn't press charges. I'm on some meds myself and I know the side effects some can have!

Old 09-16-2021, 12:07 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Why would I want to live in a place where I fear for my safety so much I have to worry about locking my doors?
Exactly, this is why I want to leave California and move back East. I can leave doors unlocked where I live on this hill, but once you drive down the hill to get to civilization (which you have too 100% of the time except for the park near my house), you are no longer safe and you are in the foothills or true Bay Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
And yes, I did wake up one morning with an intruder in the house. Though the stomping around with boots on and going straight to the toilet to take a dump pretty much told me he meant no harm...just a drunkin mistake. And after he left, with quite an exchange of words ("who the F are you and what the F are you doing in my house") and I called the police I found quite the DR's list of medications he was on...and his name and address of course, I didn't press charges. I'm on some meds myself and I know the side effects some can have!
I would press charges if the intruder smashed windows to get through to your house and if he stole property, but if he got in because a door was left unlocked and he did not smash windows, then it would not be too worth pressing charges. Medications are not an excuse to roam through someone's house. Uh uh! Not acceptable! I don't mind if you are some schizophrenic person in any American city screaming nonsense out loud, that will not bother me, but when you start roaming into someone's house, then that is no excuse.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:59 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I would press charges if the intruder smashed windows to get through to your house and if he stole property, but if he got in because a door was left unlocked and he did not smash windows, then it would not be too worth pressing charges. Medications are not an excuse to roam through someone's house. Uh uh! Not acceptable! I don't mind if you are some schizophrenic person in any American city screaming nonsense out loud, that will not bother me, but when you start roaming into someone's house, then that is no excuse.
He lived 1 street over in the same color/size/style rancher as I do. My wife (a legal immigrant from Colombia) wandered into someone else's house while taking a walk shortly after moving here. I have watched both her and my mom on different occasions actually open the door to a similar looking car near me. The drivers had quite a surprise on their face. Quite comical actually.

One typically doesn't enter someone's house to take a **** with bad intentions----other then stinking up someone's house perhaps. At least he flushed, that's what got me out of bed!

And some meds can really ********* up and mess with your mind. Add alcohol and it can be a whole lot worse at times. Cancer, bypass, dialysis and kidney transplant has shown me how wacked out certain meds can make you. No need putting a black mark on someone's life because of an easy mistake.

I'm not that paranoid to think everybody means harm. I feel the vast majority are good people!

Old 09-16-2021, 11:26 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
marlinfshr, you're living in a dream world. Good luck !

Old 09-16-2021, 11:44 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
marlinfshr, you're living in a dream world. Good luck !
This wasn't a burglar, just someone who was super whacked out and wandered into the wrong house. No harm done as long as he and his wife were ok.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:21 AM

1,351 posts, read 896,111 times
I live in a small town in northeast Iowa and regularly leave doors unlocked during the day. My garage isn't locked, and I've never had anything stolen from it.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:08 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
It doesn't matter where you live. Thieves and opportunists are literally everywhere.

Anyone who doesn't lock their doors when they leave their home is simply naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.