Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these cities part of the Northeast Corridor?
Norfolk/Virginia Beach is Northeast Corridor 10 8.55%
Norfolk/Virginia Beach is NOT Northeast Corridor 93 79.49%
Portland is Northeast Corridor 51 43.59%
Portland is NOT Northeast Corridor 41 35.04%
Richmond is Northeast Corridor 22 18.80%
Richmond is NOT Northeast Corridor 73 62.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:06 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
my man you’re talking as though anyone cares or knows about anything north of Boston. No one has ever seen Madadadadda Maine lol. It doesn’t matter/count.

For practical terms and most everyone after Massachusetts..maybe Manchester. It’s the end of the earth. It might be significant for tens of thousands of vacationing New Englanders for 4/5 months of the year. But it’s not like anywhere anyone thinks about. Not a slight (well ‘Madadada’ was) but it just is what it is. And no state where it’s ILLEGAL to put up a billboard should be in the mix with the most urbanized and consumer driven part of the country. No state that’s the whitest state in the US should be included in what’s arguably the most ethnically diverse region of this country.

I Boston is the middle of the northeast then what to NEC- Philly to Caribou? Realistically we have to give grace to a place like Richmond because the Northeast is given the smallest borders and land area of any region by far.
You need to be in (or at least debatably so) the Northeast to be part of the Northeast Megapolis. Richmond by no intelligent persons definition in good faith could be considered Northeast. Thus isn’t in the Northeast megalopolis.

It’s like calling Albany a Great Lakes city because sometimes lake effect reaches there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 07:07 AM

346 posts, read 229,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
The thread is about regions and you're bringing up latitudes lol. NEC, piedmont megalopolis. Boston is the top, Birmingham is the bottom..anything else is a goalpost moving. Also, in a conversation about economic connectivity we are gonna use Savannah and Myrtle beach? Maine???? We have to try harder than that and be more intellectually honest with ourselves. Regardless of personal bias somethings just don't make sense. Richmond is 200 miles closer to the most important city in the country and northeast than it is to the most important city in the south. There's no way to refute that. Atleast without changing the conversation.
My friend, one fact alone discredits your theory on the basis of proximity --

'The South' is the largest geographical area of the country.

This distortion makes many other cities in the South closer to D.C. or NY or even Boston than to Birmingham, by geography alone. It doesn't make them anymore 'Northeastern' which is as much a cultural affinity or sense of belonging as it is geographical.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:10 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Rural don’t worry man, Richmond isnt in it either. Aside from the ‘Northeast’ nomenclature (which obviously doesn’t matter since DC and Bmore are undoubtedly in it) it just has a better argument than Portland….and HR is legit Southern so I haven’t even mentioned them.
There is no point in having a definition of the area if you’re stretching it to the heart of the South. It loses all cohesion if you think it stretches to the NC border.
Already the Northeast Megalopolis is very questionable as a region because DC is flat out a Sunbelt city ala Atlanta culturally.

The NEC is a rail line not a region.

Chicago and Philly aren’t in the same region because of the Penn Main Line

Old 01-31-2022, 07:15 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
My friend, one fact alone discredits your theory on the basis of proximity --

'The South' is the largest geographical area of the country.

This distortion makes many other cities in the South closer to D.C. or NY or even Boston than to Birmingham, by geography alone. It doesn't make them anymore 'Northeastern' which is as much a cultural affinity or sense of belonging as it is geographical.
Look, I've already stated that I'm not arguing Richmond is in it. I just want y'all to make sense, be consistent and just take a step back and look at what your arguments are reduced to. Which southern city is Richmond heavily connected to economically?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:39 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There is no point in having a definition of the area if you’re stretching it to the heart of the South. It loses all cohesion if you think it stretches to the NC border.
Already the Northeast Megalopolis is very questionable as a region because DC is flat out a Sunbelt city ala Atlanta culturally.

The NEC is a rail line not a region.

Chicago and Philly aren’t in the same region because of the Penn Main Line
Who questions the Northeast Megalopolis as a region, though? Even the very casual American knows it’s a thing.

And since when is Richmond the Heart of the South? I was in Richmond like 2 months ago picking up some electronics with a friend. Hung out, had some burgers, saw some things, talked to some people. It is the former capital of the confederacy 160 years ago- but even then it was chosen specifically because it wasn’t the heart of Dixie. It had manufacturing and proximity to the Union capital.

Today Richmond is a pretty smooth and easy drive from DC (*off-peak*) and while you definitely feel some southern vibes, for the most part architecturally and in terms of accent/attitude it felt similar to a DC suburb in NOVA. I wouldn’t include it because if it’s location. But really it’s a much different beast than trekking it up to Portland. There’s much commerce, density, and more of a metropolitan feel. it’s not like an outpost or vacationland-it actually feels fully engaged in the 21st century.

No ones talking Philly-Portland or HR- Manchester when they say NEC. It’s just DC-Boston.

Basically based off your definition the northeast corridor is Philly-New Haven, right?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:40 AM

346 posts, read 229,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Look, I've already stated that I'm not arguing Richmond is in it. I just want y'all to make sense, be consistent and just take a step back and look at what your arguments are reduced to. Which southern city is Richmond heavily connected to economically?
All of the cities in Virginia since Richmond is the capital of the state. Other than that, no other city outside the state currently. Richmond is not a major city with much of any outside ties.

Remember, I'm arguing for a Pro-Virginia corridor stretching from VA Beach to the Piedmont west of Richmond, possibly even to Charlottesville or Lynchburg one day.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:04 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Richmond is closer to Atlanta than it is to Boston. And closer to Miami than Caribou Maine.

It not Northern geographically. Not can you reasonable say Boston and Richmond are in the same region
And DC is closer to Charlotte and Florence, SC than it is Boston. Your point?

Old 01-31-2022, 09:04 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Who questions the Northeast Megalopolis as a region, though? Even the very casual American knows it’s a thing.

And since when is Richmond the Heart of the South? I was in Richmond like 2 months ago picking up some electronics with a friend. Hung out, had some burgers, saw some things, talked to some people. It is the former capital of the confederacy 160 years ago- but even then it was chosen specifically because it wasn’t the heart of Dixie. It had manufacturing and proximity to the Union capital.

Today Richmond is a pretty smooth and easy drive from DC (*off-peak*) and while you definitely feel some southern vibes, for the most part architecturally and in terms of accent/attitude it felt similar to a DC suburb in NOVA. I wouldn’t include it because if it’s location. But really it’s a much different beast than trekking it up to Portland. There’s much commerce, density, and more of a metropolitan feel. it’s not like an outpost or vacationland-it actually feels fully engaged in the 21st century.

No ones talking Philly-Portland or HR- Manchester when they say NEC. It’s just DC-Boston.

Basically based off your definition the northeast corridor is Philly-New Haven, right?
To me Atlanta is the heart of the south. But Richmond was the capitol of the south. It's certainly southern.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:38 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
There is no point in having a definition of the area if you’re stretching it to the heart of the South.
The heart of the South would be Atlanta or Birmingham, and the southern terminus of the NEC is well north of those cities by hundreds of miles.

Quote:
It loses all cohesion if you think it stretches to the NC border.
The DC region certainly has its fair share of Sunbelt characteristics, especially NoVA, but to say it is "flat out a Sunbelt city ala Atlanta culturally" is pushing it somewhat. Some of the cultural similarities shared by Atlanta and DC actually have little to nothing to do with the Sunbelt.

Otherwise, I agree with your overall point concerning the name, which is why it seems to be referred to most often as Bos-Wash. But with respect to the Amtrak rail line, this blurb from Amtrak's NEC website is interesting and informative:
The main line of the Northeast Corridor (NEC) is 457 miles long traversing major cities in the northeast region including Washington, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. With the addition of connecting corridors to Harrisburg, PA, Springfield, MA, Albany, NY and Richmond, VA, the NEC spans a total of 899 miles.
https://nec.amtrak.com/about-the-nec/

Old 01-31-2022, 10:13 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
I think the only Wilmington on Amtrak’s Carolinian line is in Delaware. They seem a weird arbiter since their goal is simply to move people in a somewhat profitable, somewhat arbitrary manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.