Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these cities part of the Northeast Corridor?
Norfolk/Virginia Beach is Northeast Corridor 10 8.55%
Norfolk/Virginia Beach is NOT Northeast Corridor 93 79.49%
Portland is Northeast Corridor 51 43.59%
Portland is NOT Northeast Corridor 41 35.04%
Richmond is Northeast Corridor 22 18.80%
Richmond is NOT Northeast Corridor 73 62.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 01:43 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times

Advertisements

It seems like I'm not alone here in relating this discussion to trains. The northeast corridor AMTRAK line is Boston-DC which is the core of the region. Many trains also go down to Newport News VA, and have been doing so for many years. The first time I went to DC was on one of those trains almost 20 years ago and that line was running to Newport News final stop.

Still, I believe the tracks do change ownership after DC? Hampton Roads metro is more "northeast corridor" to me than Richmond, even though they are south of Richmond. Richmond isn't a straight shot from DC to Newport it's a detour. Richmond is it's own thing imo. Portland definitely is it's own thing. It would be kinda like randomly throwing Albany into the Northeast Corridor just because
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 06:50 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
NEC starts for me at Fredericksburg, once north of there you're in Suburban DC/Stafford County and it's also where commuter rail starts for the larger DC area.

Northern tip is less clear but once out of commuting range in Boston generally feel out ofit.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:34 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The DC suburbs sprawl south into Fredericksburg, which is just 50 miles north of Richmond on the I-95 corridor. Expansion is inevitable further south so if looking ahead (or capable), Richmond should be considered part of the NEC.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
"Northeast Corridor" is not an official region. It's referring to the Amtrak route. Portland is the only one of these cities in the Northeast, so I would choose it out of the 3. But in terms of the Amtrak route that this unofficial region represents, none of these is part of that.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The DC suburbs sprawl south into Fredericksburg, which is just 50 miles north of Richmond on the I-95 corridor. Expansion is inevitable further south so if looking ahead (or capable), Richmond should be considered part of the NEC.
Spotsylvania's growth slowed dramatically in the 2010s, and was even slower than Stafford and Prince William's to the north. Caroline County, south of Spotsylvania, grew even more slowly. Metro DC is not expanding outwards like it used to.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
^^^ Caroline County, VA is not the DC metro area.

Every jurisdiction in the DC metro area grew 2010-2020 except for Rappahanock, VA which lost 25 people.

Spotsylvania grew by 14%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wash...atistical_Area

Old 09-20-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ Caroline County, VA is not the DC metro area.

Every jurisdiction in the DC metro area grew 2010-2020 except for Rappahanock, VA which lost 25 people.

Spotsylvania grew by 14%.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wash...atistical_Area
Right, and my point is that Caroline County is not benefitting from DC Metro sprawl.

Spotsylvania grew 14%, down from 35% the previous decade. and slower than Stafford to its north at 19%, and the same as close in City of Alexandria at 14%. Point is the outward development of the DC area has slowed dramatically, which means metro Richmond is in no danger of becoming part of the NEC.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Right, and my point is that Caroline County is not benefitting from DC Metro sprawl.

Spotsylvania grew 14%, down from 35% the previous decade. and slower than Stafford to its north at 19%, and the same as close in City of Alexandria at 14%. Point is the outward development of the DC area has slowed dramatically, which means metro Richmond is in no danger of becoming part of the NEC.
No Richmond isn't the NEC, but it is closest to the corridor based on the places in this comparison. There's also some tug and pull going on because Caroline is no longer a part of Richmond's MSA I believe, even though it didn't join DC's. Development will continue to happen in between over time, but not all that rapidly. Ironically, pre-pandemic I worked with a guy who commuted from Caroline County all the way to Arlington 3/5 times a week. He normally balanced the schedule by working super early shifts and leaving home at 3:30 am.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-20-2021 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-20-2021, 03:00 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
whatever county Manchester, NH is in is the northern end. Manchester, NH is 53 miles Northwest of Boston. It is the last city of over 100k north of Massachusetts

Portland Maine is 95 miles from Manchester. It is 112 miles northeast of Boston. Minimal development between Manch and Portland.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:13 PM

965 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No Richmond isn't the NEC, but it is closest to the corridor based on the places in this comparison. There's also some tug and pull going on because Caroline is no longer a part of Richmond's MSA I believe, even though it didn't join DC's. Development will continue to happen in between over time, but not all that rapidly. Ironically, pre-pandemic I worked with a guy who commuted from Caroline County all the way to Arlington 3/5 times a week. He normally balanced the schedule by working super early shifts and leaving home at 3:30 am.
I agree with this. None of them are functionally part of the Bos-Was corridor, but if I was forced to pick I'd say Richmond is "closest". There's not enough of an economic connection between Portland and Boston / northern burbs to justify including it. It is fairly "developed" up I-95 on that route (probably moreso than DC-Richmond, honestly), but most of that is due to these being fairly wealthy coastal vacation/tourist areas.

Tidewater is not at all connected imo. Feels very different than Bos-Wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.