Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times

Advertisements

I'll be in St. Louis tonight through monday and I want to know some cities that compare to it. I want to know what to expect

Thanks in advance to all responders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Hmmm...maybe Philadelphia, in some ways.
STL is smaller though.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Baltimore! They are very many similarities with them with history, sometimes architecture, population etc

Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
It is very similar to Cincinnati and Baltimore in that they are northern feeling cities that have a very subliminal southern tint. They have all been in the top 10 of American cities at some point, but have become relatively less important. At the turn of the century, Saint Louis was America's 4th city. During Poe's time, Baltimore vied for importance with Phila. When you go there today, (if you have a keen perception for places) you still feel like these cities are overbuilt for their size. In the nicest way possible, they are.
The only similarity I can think of between Phila. and Saint Louis is that they are both old.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
At the turn of the century, Saint Louis was America's 4th city. During Poe's time, Baltimore vied for importance with Phila.
The cities along the 39th parallel - Balt, StL, Cincinnati - all got crushed after the civil war as Pit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and the cities between NY and Chicago gained rank at their expense.

Cincinnati was the only city in the top 10 by pop west of the Appalachains until StL joined it in 1850, and even then StL was about 30% smaller. Chicago was still only 24th largest in the country then.

With a homicide rate worse than Detroit's, and an industrial stench like Gary, Indiana, Baltimore today is one of the nastiest cities in this country.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The cities along the 39th parallel - Balt, StL, Cincinnati - all got crushed after the civil war as Pit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and the cities between NY and Chicago gained rank at their expense.

Cincinnati was the only city in the top 10 by pop west of the Appalachains until StL joined it in 1850, and even then StL was about 30% smaller. Chicago was still only 24th largest in the country then.

With a homicide rate worse than Detroit's, and an industrial stench like Gary, Indiana, Baltimore today is one of the nastiest cities in this country.
great post. it's really depressing every time i take a round trip from cincinnati to boston. baltimore, st. louis and cincinnati have so much unrealized potential. to me, it's no telling who will get it straightened out first; problem-wise, they all seem equally hamstrung.

minnehahapolitan,

i never understood how anybody could say a wood frame, turn of the century tract housing city feels bigger than a brick, front facing city. detroit, cleveland, and atlanta all feel like huge metros, but inside the city limits, i just don't get that "lost in a jungle" vibe.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I'll be in St. Louis tonight through monday and I want to know some cities that compare to it. I want to know what to expect

Thanks in advance to all responders!
Strong German tradition in St. L, similar to Milwaukee and Cincinnati. You'll see it in the achitecture as well as names of businesses.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

Um... yea, no. i don't understand the whole industrial thing people associate with bmore, at one point? Yes. Now adays? not really. Here's nasty Baltimore where every street corner you can see a murderer and industrial factories line the streets - Ugly Baltimore

Last edited by Billiam; 05-16-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Um... yea, no. i don't understand the whole industrial thing people associate with bmore, at one point? Yes. Now adays? not really. Here's nasty Baltimore where every street corner you can see a murderer and industrial factories line the streets - Ugly Baltimore
God those things in that one building(blue and pinkish) are SOOO UGLY! Lol looks like human waste, modern art tends to suck I've always had a certain appeal to cities like Balitmore, St Louis, etc etc but the out of control crime for their size cannot be denied. Its a shame

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM

^ haha i agree, i dislike modern art very much! But yea, im not saying Bmores crime free because that's not even close to the truth. But to Say Baltimore's a nasty city is just stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.