Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 1,352 times

Advertisements

We will hopefully be transplanted New Yorkers soon to a land where the ideology, beliefs and politics are much more in keeping with our own. Actively looking and ready to leave the rat race, taxes and woke mentality. We are looking for at least 50-80 acres in a semi rural neighborhood that has drivable access to supermarkets, lumber supply, retail, etc within an hour. The house doesnt mater except that it can be lived in and can be renovated later. Property can be very remote but should have some paved road or highway that is maintained in bad weather in order to get to the property road. Dense Forest + some open land is preferred with potential for live stock. Trying to stay within $250k budget to have be able to have no mortgage, not need to work (or work from home minimally) and still have money left over to live on for the next 40 years from the sale of current home.
It is vitally imperative that the community will embrace new people such as our family willing to completely acclimate to THEIR culture and THEIR environment.

We are not looking to bring our states current liberal garbage to anyone elses state.

Looking for a small town feel with an active community lifestyle, parades, festivals, barn parties, church socials, events, and a close knit bunch of people. We would love 4 seasons, but not essential. We currently have an off grid cabin in the upstate woods and a home on Long island with chickens (currently fighting the Village for them) so the country/small farm lifestyle is what we would desire elsewhere without restrictions or limitations. If anyone has any ideas we are open and thankful for the suggestions for the perfect place. We are very open and flexible except for the amount of acreage. Sneedville TN was a suggestion in a forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 12:22 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,507,739 times
For Tennessee, my off the top of my head suggestions would be Hawkins County. I grew up in the part of Hawkins County that is closer to Kingsport: Church Hill & Mt Carmel areas.

Hawkins County has a lot of rural areas that are far away from many people. Look into Surgoinsville and Rogersville areas, too. Rogersville has about 4,000 people but has a super historic, quaint downtown region. Surgoinsville has maybe 2,000, but it is largely rural with a small "center" of town with several buildings.

The only "downside" to your criteria for those areas is that many folks have generations of families and friends they know in some of those regions, so it can be harder to make friends. But my suggestion is join a local church and integrate into that, if you are into that type of thing. The socializing revolves around churches in that part of the south.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:51 PM

13,697 posts, read 8,009,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESIGNERPIRATE View Post
We will hopefully be transplanted New Yorkers soon to a land where the ideology, beliefs and politics are much more in keeping with our own. Actively looking and ready to leave the rat race, taxes and woke mentality. We are looking for at least 50-80 acres in a semi rural neighborhood that has drivable access to supermarkets, lumber supply, retail, etc within an hour. The house doesnt mater except that it can be lived in and can be renovated later. Property can be very remote but should have some paved road or highway that is maintained in bad weather in order to get to the property road. Dense Forest + some open land is preferred with potential for live stock. Trying to stay within $250k budget to have be able to have no mortgage, not need to work (or work from home minimally) and still have money left over to live on for the next 40 years from the sale of current home.
It is vitally imperative that the community will embrace new people such as our family willing to completely acclimate to THEIR culture and THEIR environment.

We are not looking to bring our states current liberal garbage to anyone elses state.

Looking for a small town feel with an active community lifestyle, parades, festivals, barn parties, church socials, events, and a close knit bunch of people. We would love 4 seasons, but not essential. We currently have an off grid cabin in the upstate woods and a home on Long island with chickens (currently fighting the Village for them) so the country/small farm lifestyle is what we would desire elsewhere without restrictions or limitations. If anyone has any ideas we are open and thankful for the suggestions for the perfect place. We are very open and flexible except for the amount of acreage. Sneedville TN was a suggestion in a forum.
50-80 acres and a house for $250K?

Not gonna happen.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,843,423 times
There are homes / land under $250k in West Viriginia. https://www.zillow.com/wv/?searchQue...false%7D%7D%7D

Probably some other states but maybe not all. Popular areas less likely.

You can pick a community and then try to find a property or find a property candidate and see if the community situation is satisfactory.

This one looks good on surface.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...83236582_zpid/

Close to highest mountains in WV, lake. 40 miles to Morgantown, 130 to Pittsburgh.

Says auction. I'd call for details immediately.

Philippi is 3200 people and surprisingly growing. Buckhannon is 5400 people and sliding. Elkins is 6900 and declining a bit.Clarksville is 15k and sliding. Grafton is 5k and sliding. Lots of communities nearby to pick from.

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-24-2021 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2021, 02:53 PM

994 posts, read 972,711 times
Here is a listing site for land . I filtered the acreage but it may have reset . Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-28-2021 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-24-2021, 04:10 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,843,423 times
For house & land at that price, looks like stick to West Virginia. I could not find any similar in the other states on Zillow.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:14 PM

26,437 posts, read 46,690,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are homes / land under $250k in West Viriginia. https://www.zillow.com/wv/?searchQue...false%7D%7D%7D

Probably some other states but maybe not all. Popular areas less likely.

You can pick a community and then try to find a property or find a property candidate and see if the community situation is satisfactory.

This one looks good on surface.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...83236582_zpid/

Close to highest mountains in WV, lake. 40 miles to Morgantown, 130 to Pittsburgh.

Says auction. I'd call for details immediately.

Philippi is 3200 people and surprisingly growing. Buckhannon is 5400 people and sliding. Elkins is 6900 and declining a bit.Clarksville is 15k and sliding. Grafton is 5k and sliding. Lots of communities nearby to pick from.
The Elkins and Buckhannon areas of WV are one of the few rural areas of the state that I expect to see significant real estate appreciation going out in time. They are close to national forests, trails, and scenic areas, and ARE NOT MINED OVER, meaning no surface mines or mountaintop removal.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:01 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,326,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
50-80 acres and a house for $250K?

Not gonna happen.
Yep, add a zero to that budget.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yep, add a zero to that budget.
Well since thankfully since I am not an idiot and did a mess of research before I posted-----I understood what I was dealing with price wise. Why would I leave a million dollar neighbor hood to spend MORE elsewhere??? I have 30 saved properties online that fit this exact criteria, I was merely narrowing it down area wise with some helpful ideas from users who obviously know the areas better than you and I. If you just want to add snarky ill advised comments, have at it, but don't waste my time thanks.

Old 09-27-2021, 01:46 PM

13,697 posts, read 8,009,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESIGNERPIRATE View Post
Well since thankfully since I am not an idiot and did a mess of research before I posted-----I understood what I was dealing with price wise. Why would I leave a million dollar neighbor hood to spend MORE elsewhere??? I have 30 saved properties online that fit this exact criteria, I was merely narrowing it down area wise with some helpful ideas from users who obviously know the areas better than you and I. If you just want to add snarky ill advised comments, have at it, but don't waste my time thanks.
Two posts in and that New York attitude already on full display!

I'd check that a bit if you hope to make a good impression on your soon-to-be neighbors in Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.