Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
NOTE: before you say JFK Int. airport, realize the attention is likely greater there because the connection from the Jamaica subway/LIRR terminal is viewed as a free-standing rapid transit line in itself as opposed to being a mere terminal-to-terminal shuttle, as is Newark's, Miami's and a few others.
Agreed there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 04:44 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Yes, I think Newark definitely qualifies, esp as is noted, the current security guidelines pushing rail stations away from direct access to air terminals and necessitating some form of bus or rail shuttle... Newark probably gets overlooked because both the railroad and the airport existed in their current locations long before the concept of airport-to-downtown rail. It is likely the purpose-built rail lines to airports get more attention than merely connecting existing facilities...

NOTE: before you say JFK Int. airport, realize the attention is likely greater there because the connection from the Jamaica subway/LIRR terminal is viewed as a free-standing rapid transit line in itself as opposed to being a mere terminal-to-terminal shuttle, as is Newark's, Miami's and a few others.
This makes sense, and I did not know this otherwise I would've counted it. (Have never taken the EWR air train so I assumed it was like its JFK counterpart)

That said, I'm not OP so I guess I don't determine the criteria, but to me it counts.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:48 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
How does Newark *not* qualify here? There's a rail station at the edge of the airport on the Northeast Corridor Line, with service to downtown Newark and Penn Station New York. The monorail takes you from there to all the terminals. Rerouting the Northeast Corridor Line to make all those stops would not make any sense and would slow down the whole corridor service.
Quote:
Yes, I think Newark definitely qualifies, esp as is noted, the current security guidelines pushing rail stations away from direct access to air terminals and necessitating some form of bus or rail shuttle... Newark probably gets overlooked because both the railroad and the airport existed in their current locations long before the concept of airport-to-downtown rail. It is likely the purpose-built rail lines to airports get more attention than merely connecting existing facilities...

I think Newark qualifies as much as JFK or MIA qualify. I do think there's a difference between the transfer to the people mover versus something like CLE's Red Line or ORD's Blue line stop. I think an interesting one is PHL's Airport Line which uses the commuter rail stock not just for getting to the airport directly, but also as its shuttle among all the terminals with four stops at the terminals. I'm not sure if any other airport does anything remotely like this.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:11 PM

4,533 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Newark qualifies as much as JFK or MIA qualify. I do think there's a difference between the transfer to the people mover versus something like CLE's Red Line or ORD's Blue line stop. I think an interesting one is PHL's Airport Line which uses the commuter rail stock not just for getting to the airport directly, but also as its shuttle among all the terminals with four stops at the terminals. I'm not sure if any other airport does anything remotely like this.
Although I've never used it, I believe St. Louis' LRT stops at 2 different terminals, but that's the only one I can think of that is roughly similar to Philly's SEPTA commuter train. Part of this, though, is not necessarily the quality or convenience of the SEPTA train, which it is both, but the lousy, passenger-unfriendly layout of Philly International -- it is roundly criticized for its spread out, multi-terminal arrangement -- there are actually 5 separate terminals including Terminal F, which boards the smaller (Embraer and Canadair ... see discount carrier) jets, either through smaller jetways or the old fashion outdoor boarding stairs on the tarmac. Terminal F was built after SEPTA opened its airport train in the 1980s, therefore it is beyond the end of the train line: meaning that passengers must either hoof indoors or outdoors from the end of the train platform, or take short shuttle bus rides to Terminal F. Again, I cannot stress how much passengers and flight crew, alike, despise this airport.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:52 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
LaGuardia AirTrain plan put on hold.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...jkq-story.html

Old 10-15-2021, 04:53 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,866,901 times
Only benefit to taking public transportation to/from LGA (while commuting within NYC) is that it will only cost you $2.75 between the train ride and bus transfer. The bus ride isn't even that bad either (Q70-SBS). It's usually ~10 minutes from the Jackson Heights train station in Queens to the airport as long as there's no major traffic.

The same trip to JFK will likely cost you $10.50 by public transportation and $15.25 from NYC to EWR.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 AM

914 posts, read 562,491 times
Boston has the advantage of its airport being so close to downtown. It also has water access across the inner harbor.

The flip side to this is that's this proximity is the reason Boston's downtown skyline is relatively stunted - the FAA places height restrictions on a lot of the core of the core.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Boston has the advantage of its airport being so close to downtown. It also has water access across the inner harbor.

The flip side to this is that's this proximity is the reason Boston's downtown skyline is relatively stunted - the FAA places height restrictions on a lot of the core of the core.
Yes that is true with Boston. The airport in San Diego is even closer to downtown than Boston. It's as if the rooftops of buildings, are only a few feet below the plane when landing.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Yes, I think Newark definitely qualifies, esp as is noted, the current security guidelines pushing rail stations away from direct access to air terminals and necessitating some form of bus or rail shuttle...
I don't think that the FAA or Homeland Security require that there be a people mover or shuttle, but it does make it dicey if you don't. I think that the issue is that if there is a security event at the airport, it's very possible that the metro station will be closed. If the airport is a terminal, that's not the end of the world and trains can be turned back prior to the airport. But if the airport is somewhere in the middle of a line, then the risk is that an entire line will be split and that will greatly disrupt service, potentially across much of the system.

Also, note that the large airports tend to operate one of two ways. They have a massive single entrance that funnels everyone in and then you go to your actual terminal after passing through security (Denver, Atlanta, Orlando). Or they have multiple terminals, each with a separate entrance and you are already inside your terminal/concourse after passing through security (Newark, LAX, JFK). There are some variations, but the point is that if an airport has one massive entrance, then it makes sense to have a single metro stop right near the terminal and an internal people mover. If an airport has multiple terminal entrances, then it tends to make sense to have an external people mover.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:39 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've flown into Cleveland and had no idea that they had a metro stop inside. You can see the stop outside and I thought that was it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.