Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:30 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times

Advertisements

A 200+ page federally-funded report from 2008 on airport transit in the US:
https://crp.trb.org/acrpwebresource2...ransportation/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 04:13 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I live in St Louis. The city has trains running from downtown to Lambert Airport. There’s also a proposed extension on the current line running to the Metro-East which will connect downtown to Mid-America Airport. In the future, St Louis will join the short list of cities that have passenger rails running directly to two airports.
Construction on the extension to MidAmerica is due to begin in fall 2022. It’s currently in the design phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Although I've never used it, I believe St. Louis' LRT stops at 2 different terminals, but that's the only one I can think of that is roughly similar to Philly's SEPTA commuter train.
This is correct that the MetroLink has two stops at Lambert, but I’ll be the first to point out that the Terminal 1 stop is far more convenient than the Terminal 2 stop. The Terminal 2 stop you have to cut through a parking garage in order to access the train station.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I live in DFW. One thing I wondered bout your analysis is driving distance to downtown and the importance of intermediary stops along the way. Per Google Maps, HJ Airport is 15 miles to downtown while DFW is 21 miles. For some cities there is limited stopping between downtown and the airport because their is no reason to. DFW has three major employment centers along the airport route - Las Colinas, the Medical District and Victory Park, a 70 acre mixed use development with the American Airlines Center, office buildings, condos, a W Hotel, and hi-rise apartments.

Second, I also wonder about the general setup of metro area. For example, DFW has two rail lines now serving it, one to Dallas and now from downtown Fort Worth. A third, a cross-county line, is under construction to DFW serving north Dallas and several northern suburbs - Coppell, Addison and Plan. Last, relative to others you've mentioned, the price is very affordable at 3 bucks one way.

Oh and did you do an analysis of the Denver Rail link?

Thanks
Are you asking me? Or the guy in the video? I think his analysis towards the end of each airport mentioned mostly focused on distance walking from your airport baggage claim to a train stop, train headway time at the airport stations, and then travel time to the downtown. Cleveland for example he mentioned as having incredible low wait times for a train at the airport station and extremely short distance to the primary downtown train station in the city.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Here's a visual representation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKH1Dbqe2WY

At DCA the Project Journey, and new security gates development just completed two weeks ago. This video starts at the bottom of the escalators inside of the Metro station and shows the path to either ticket counters or directly to security checkpoints. The entire video is only 6 minutes, and from the Metro station to the security checkpoints is a less than 3 mins walk. Hard to beat that kind of convenience. I think Atlanta and Cleveland are the only other airports that have this type of proximity and convenience to this degree.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Are you asking me? Or the guy in the video? I think his analysis towards the end of each airport mentioned mostly focused on distance walking from your airport baggage claim to a train stop, train headway time at the airport stations, and then travel time to the downtown. Cleveland for example he mentioned as having incredible low wait times for a train at the airport station and extremely short distance to the primary downtown train station in the city.
My mistake, my post was directed toward the guy who posted the video.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Which does jfk have? Im intrigued. Please do not say Howard Beach either.
The airtrain & then LIRR to Penn. The original post said which airports have a train to downtown. It didnt say it had to be a direct connection.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The airtrain & then LIRR to Penn. The original post said which airports have a train to downtown. It didnt say it had to be a direct connection.
It was phrased ambiguously, but I believe that the intent of the title was to ask whether a city has one or more lines that travel from an airport to downtown, not multiple lines combined to make that trip.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:17 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Airtrain isnt public transit. Its a rail APM that forces a transfer to a subway line or NEC

God awful design for nyc airports there

Old 11-21-2021, 01:56 PM

885 posts, read 623,973 times
Washington International Dulles Airport is scheduled to be connected to the Washington Metro system.

The Silver Line station serving Dulles is projected to open in Feb., 2022. This station was supposed to begin operation in 2018.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:13 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
NYC does? From which airport? For some reason I thought that was a big gap of NYC.
Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.