Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 03:33 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Newark does. Not JFK or LGA

Newark has about as much of a connection as JFK where you need to transfer to a people mover to get to the airport. I don't consider either to really count as having train lines from airport to downtown.

I think the people mover link transfer is just silly and both Newark and JFK should have direct rail connections with the people mover to move among terminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 03:52 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I live in St Louis. The city has trains running from downtown to Lambert Airport. There’s also a proposed extension on the current line running to the Metro-East which will connect downtown to Mid-America Airport. In the future, St Louis will join the short list of cities that have passenger rails running directly to two airports.
Wow. If that gets completed, St. Louis' metro will actually extend farther out from the city than Chicago's.

EDIT: it already does? Step up your game, CTA

Old 10-04-2021, 09:50 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Wow. If that gets completed, St. Louis' metro will actually extend farther out from the city than Chicago's.

EDIT: it already does? Step up your game, CTA
Chicago has Metra, SSL and Amtrak so there's far less need for the "rapid" line to extend into the suburbs.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:15 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,400,006 times
Austin will have this when the Blue Line is completed..

The airport connection aspect feels a little overrated to me. It's only a $15-20, 15 minute Uber ride as it stands, and you can take a bus for $1.50 to get downtown in about 35 mins. I can't really see myself ever choosing to take the train and deal with hauling my bags from the nearest station vs. paying $20 for an Uber or parking. But it will be cool to see it for the novelty and I'm sure that tourists will like it.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:48 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin will have this when the Blue Line is completed..

The airport connection aspect feels a little overrated to me. It's only a $15-20, 15 minute Uber ride as it stands, and you can take a bus for $1.50 to get downtown in about 35 mins. I can't really see myself ever choosing to take the train and deal with hauling my bags from the nearest station vs. paying $20 for an Uber or parking. But it will be cool to see it for the novelty and I'm sure that tourists will like it.
Not only the tourists. I'm sure the airport workers will like it too. Big airports are major employment centers and thus can often justify rail service just on the worker ridership. Airline passengers using these lines is icing on the cake for the transit operator.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
A decent amount of cities have rail from their major airport to the city center, but how many have rail connecting the city center with two or more airports? Off the top of my head only San Francisco (BART to SFO & Oakland) and Chicago (Blue Line to O’Hare, Orange Line to Midway) come to mind.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:20 PM

DC almost counts as two with BWI, as the airport has a free shuttle to the MARC station. And with IAD that would make three when that starts. That will be pretty cool.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:36 PM

Looks like you can take the train into NYC Penn Station from Newark Airport too, someone correct me if I’m wrong. So NYC would count as two as well. I believe you still have to take a bus to get into Manhattan from LaGuardia though.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The taxi union has been successfully fighting this for years, I doubt they ever build it.
That's quite a shame since if only for tourism reasons, the Vegas monorail really should go to the airport and be expanded in general. I didn't know the taxi union was that powerful there. Taxi unions in the Washington DC area weren't able to stop the extension to the Metro to Dulles Airport even though that is a long distance and many people might still prefer to drive. People also rarely take the Baltimore Light Rail to BWI airport from downtown because of crime concerns. Because downtown Baltimore is surrounded by bad neighborhoods, its not possible to go from anywhere in the suburbs to downtown without passing through rough neighborhoods.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:00 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Looks like you can take the train into NYC Penn Station from Newark Airport too, someone correct me if I’m wrong. So NYC would count as two as well. I believe you still have to take a bus to get into Manhattan from LaGuardia though.
Yes, but there’s a separate people mover train that takes you from the station to the airport terminals. Same with JFK and the A, E and J trains in the subway.

It’s correct that LGA does not currently have a rail connection, which is extremely pathetic. It’s likely going to get one soon similar to JFK/EWR, but the current plan is stupid and will make us go all the way to Flushing just to backtrack to LGA instead of having it come from the N/W trains in Astoria, or even just extending the N/W to LGA themselves which I believe the NIMBYs blocked a long time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Newark has about as much of a connection as JFK where you need to transfer to a people mover to get to the airport. I don't consider either to really count as having train lines from airport to downtown.

I think the people mover link transfer is just silly and both Newark and JFK should have direct rail connections with the people mover to move among terminals.
To be honest, I think the A train would be unbearable if it had to go to all the JFK terminals and then to Far Rockaway. The E train would be annoying too since it’s so vital to Queens commuters. The J is the only one of the trains where I don’t think it would be too disruptive to circle around the airport terminals.
Unless you mean that the separate payment is unnecessary, in which I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.