Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

I've done my best creative writing in Rhode Island and Connecticut, not because they were more conducive, but rather because life provided me the opportunity to write every day for a year. Writing like anything else is both skill and practice so the muscle grew.

I've done my best professional writing in NYC and the muse was nearly ever present. It was the hub-bub as someone mentioned that created the tension that produced ideas and animation.

Now I live in New Mexico--in a town that is considered among the most scenic areas of the state, and haven't been able to write more than a few paragraphs.

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-31-2007 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
I've read through all of these replies and my answer is "all of the above".

I think creative types (visual artists, musicians,writers, actors, dancers....) thrive on change.

I think that's one of the key components that draws me to this forum: "what's it like to be somewhere else?"

The ideal life, for me, would involve both life in the big city (San Francisco, Chicago and NYC...if we are "staying" in the US) and time in small towns and mountain-top/beach-side retreats ( Taos NM, Durango CO, Asheville NC, Big Sur CA to name but a few) .

I believe that artists of all disciplines need to spend time both observing and interacting with people and other artists and time for quiet contemplation and solitary work.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Plaidmom,

As a reader (and talented creative person) you might enjoy both Ray Bradbury and Stephen King on writing--if you haven't already stumbled upon them. Neither describes going out to catch the sharp phrase or rub elbows.

Bradbury's book is out of print but amazon comes up with copies. I believe it is my favourite on writing.

And when I apply his approach, I generally succeed.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times
I wouldn't know. I can't even draw a good stick figure

Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Thumbs up Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
I dream of just having one book published and using some of those funds towards a quiet beachy sort of atmosphere OR somewhere along Lake Shore Drive (Chicago). Inspirational views would be great for a writer. Of course, you can be published from anywhere that you live. One of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Berg, has settled in Chicago because she said that is where her friends are. Having grown up in that area, I would have to say that there really are some exceptionally wonderful people there. You'd like Elizabeth Berg's writing, by the way.
I will have to check out that book- the lake near the city- must be inspirational. I grew up in NY (suburbs) but always had spent Christmas with the theatre, Rockefeller Center tree- it is a great memory which never goes away. Saw ""The King and I"" as a child, with Yul Brynner and Constance Towers- will never forget the energy- the sense of connectedness. That does NOT exist where I live now. I am not cut out for suburbs.

sunny.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 307,072 times
Probably NY or Boston. San Fransisco would also be on my list. LA would NOT be. To many fake superficial people I bump heads with. [Not to be mean to people in LA, I just have to many enemies there, but I have met some great people there as well]

Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
If you were a creative artist/writer which city...

I am a writer and make my living as one (and do well at it). Where do I live? I've lived almost 10 years in Las Vegas and 4 months ago I moved to Daytona Beach. But...I'm headed back to Vegas in a few weeks.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
New York, Seattle, Chicago and a few beach cities in California. I find Seattle very inspirational for writing when i'm there. I'm an actor first, writer second. So even though LA in it's self is not all that inspirational, the areas around it and nearby are, to me anyway.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:47 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've done my best creative writing in Rhode Island and Connecticut, not because they were more conducive, but rather because life provided me the opportunity to write every day for a year. Writing like anything else is both skill and practice so the muscle grew.

I've done my best professional writing in NYC and the muse was nearly ever present. It was the hub-bub as someone mentioned that created the tension that produced ideas and animation.

Now I live in New Mexico--in a town that is considered among the most scenic areas of the state, and haven't been able to write more than a few paragraphs.
well, some areas are just better karmically, or chemistry wise, than others, for each of us....
so best bet is to find somewhere that you resonate with at a give moment-may be a big city or a rural area...and it may change...from time to time.

for you, obviously the NE seems to be the most creatively inspiring.

btw, there's a whole area of astrology that would pinpoint this in someone's chart-creative success based on geography. I'm not an astrologer---just exposed to this info.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I've read through all of these replies and my answer is "all of the above".

I think creative types (visual artists, musicians,writers, actors, dancers....) thrive on change.

I think that's one of the key components that draws me to this forum: "what's it like to be somewhere else?"

The ideal life, for me, would involve both life in the big city (San Francisco, Chicago and NYC...if we are "staying" in the US) and time in small towns and mountain-top/beach-side retreats ( Taos NM, Durango CO, Asheville NC, Big Sur CA to name but a few) .

I believe that artists of all disciplines need to spend time both observing and interacting with people and other artists and time for quiet contemplation and solitary work.
Though some artists thrive on continuity...but point taken-it can be all or one place, and it can change from time to time...and one place can resonate with some and not with others, in terms of creative productivity/inspiration. Life...you just can't pinpoint it, I tell ya!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.