Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 03:33 PM

824 posts, read 711,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I frankly wouldn't trust those numbers as those are 2019 numbers, and well, the census had obviously been wrong about Alabama's growth by nearly 50% for the past 10 years. So it's very much possible that, just like how they underestimated the population, they could've also underestimated the migration rate
Yeah, but they also way way overestimated Illinois migration as well. Illinois lost like 18k, compared to an estimated 250,000 loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 03:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,215,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Yeah, but they also way way overestimated Illinois migration as well. Illinois lost like 18k, compared to an estimated 250,000 loss.

Can't trust in either direction it appears then lol

Old 10-11-2021, 03:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
The tax burden in Illinois is driving people out and I figure most are probably fed up with the winter weather and want some place with low taxes and warmer weather. We were part of the Illinois Exodus but ended up in Indiana. That said, Illinois is one of the top states for losing population despite the number of people moving there. The state is run terribly and has a massive debt problem which is being handled by raising taxes yearly on the residents.

Last edited by Kluch; 10-11-2021 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-12-2021, 07:13 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
A family from the Quad Cities moved in just down the street from me 2-3 years ago. Other than that, I don't know of any significant influx of Illinoisans into Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are moving to Baldwin County though to escape the high cost of living and harsh winters.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A family from the Quad Cities moved in just down the street from me 2-3 years ago. Other than that, I don't know of any significant influx of Illinoisans into Alabama. I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are moving to Baldwin County though to escape the high cost of living and harsh winters.

Well that's because no one is gonna be moving into rural Alabama counties, the closest they are gonna come are Florence and Dothan which are both Metros. Everyone is moving to Auburn, Birmingham, Huntsville-Decatur, Mobile-Baldwin, Tuscaloosa, and surprisingly Montgomery

Old 10-12-2021, 10:07 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Well that's because no one is gonna be moving into rural Alabama counties, the closest they are gonna come are Florence and Dothan which are both Metros. Everyone is moving to Auburn, Birmingham, Huntsville-Decatur, Mobile-Baldwin, Tuscaloosa, and surprisingly Montgomery
Well, not "no one" as I referenced that family from the Quad Cities. Additionally, a family from Ohio moved in down the street from me as well a couple of years ago.

Now that I think of it, I don't think any of my immediate neighbors are even from Alabama.

My wife and I are from Florida, my neighbor across the street is from Michigan, and my immediate neighbors on either side are from Georgia and Florida.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:14 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
As the OP is likely aware, ARIZONA is the state that so many people from IL move to. At least from Chicagoland. There is a curious migration pattern to the Phoenix area, to the point where Chicagoland chains like Portillo's are in Arizona and tons of bars displaying Chicago sports games.

*Edit- I don't know about the state of IL in general, but for Chicagoland (the state's most populous region), Arizona (Phoenix area) is the major destination.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:25 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
I live in Illinois, and other than the U of Alabama giving out a rash of free tuition to its students trying to entice them there, I was not aware of any mass movement to Alabama. It is too easy to draw conclusions; there are a ton of NY and NJ license plates around Chicago, but are they all moving here? I would not want to trade my suburban Chicago enviorns for Alabama, and I am sure that I am not alone in that feeling.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I live in Illinois, and other than the U of Alabama giving out a rash of free tuition to its students trying to entice them there, I was not aware of any mass movement to Alabama. It is too easy to draw conclusions; there are a ton of NY and NJ license plates around Chicago, but are they all moving here? I would not want to trade my suburban Chicago enviorns for Alabama, and I am sure that I am not alone in that feeling.

Well of course you would not be aware of any mass movement to Alabama as you likely would not have known to look or really care. You obviously have no care for Alabama, so there is no reason for you have to noticed. All I know is that wherever I go, I'm seeing northern plates, even in the suburbs (which I doubt is a place a non resident would be). Can also look at the housing market; Alabama metros have all doubled or nearly doubled in the past 10 years and now averaging a yearly growth of 15 to 20% every year since 2019, doubt that would all be migration within the state

Yes, true in-state students at Alabama are definitely in the minority, 70% are out of state with like 35% either northerners or from the west coast. I will point out that this seems to be placing an advantage for the state as well as the South, as it seem the majority of northerners are staying in the South for jobs. For instance of the several northern classmates I know that are either about to graduate or have graduated, only one has actually made the choice to go back up north, the rest are either looking for jobs in the South (typically its the Southeast) or have already accepted jobs to go into

Old 10-12-2021, 11:07 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Most of Alabama’s state-to-state migration still appears to be other Southern states (Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Texas are far-and-away the top 5 senders to Alabama). That said, Alabama is definitely better positioned than Mississippi or Louisiana to capture any overflow that comes as the popular Sunbelt states fill up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.