Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 08:14 AM

224 posts, read 164,750 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I’m looking to move out of NJ sooner then later, after looking more at western states and also Virginia and Tennessee initially, me and my gf both agreed we might be better off in NE region. I am very high on NH and Maine but also like quieter areas outside or nearish to Hartford CT whether it’s western CT or north close to Mass. border. I’m probably not looking at NH because housing and rentals are absurdly high there but I would choose that state over all other ones.

I would just like to find out from people who live in these states or at least know them well/used to be there/have family there about overall lifestyle and I guess pros and cons of each state and what your opinion would be which one is best of the 3

I’m 28 and my gf is 33, we both agree we hate idea of living in a big city but we wouldn’t mind living in a smaller town but be near a city or bigger area for work. We felt on recent trip to VT NH and MASS that Vermont was amazing it was so peaceful and beautiful but seems expensive and I hear winters are tough there. I like cold but hate lot of snow, my gf will be cold if it’s 60 and windy pretty much…. But I want to at least be somewhere that the snow isn’t crazy, would Connecticut be best for that or southern Maine? I hear southern Maine gets only smaller snowstorms but are there winters much longer and colder then CT?

Out of all areas I mentioned I would say I like people and culture of NH the most but in fairness don’t really know Maine and CT much, I kinda picture CT as less crowded NJ but I can be wrong. I guess I associate more with Libertarians and Conservatives, GF can probably get along with anyone and is more down the middle I guess, I don’t want to live in a heavily liberal area that’s a goal.

So out of the 3 states which one is best “bang for your buck” and which one is best winter climate? Also can you live in CT comfortably and be “lower middle class” or regular middle class even?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 09:06 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Any viable reason why you're hopping back and forth over Massachusetts?

Old 10-22-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Any viable reason why you're hopping back and forth over Massachusetts?

Very expensive, I’d pick Connecticut over Mass. there are other reasons not going to post it but not considering Mass. and I don’t think that’ll change. Not saying it sucks or anything like that I liked it there to but not looking
to move to that state

Old 10-22-2021, 09:59 AM

93,411 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Why not consider parts of Upstate NY or PA? Both have areas that are more moderate, if not "conservative".

Old 10-22-2021, 10:43 AM

828 posts, read 693,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Hey everyone,

I’m looking to move out of NJ sooner then later, after looking more at western states and also Virginia and Tennessee initially, me and my gf both agreed we might be better off in NE region. I am very high on NH and Maine but also like quieter areas outside or nearish to Hartford CT whether it’s western CT or north close to Mass. border. I’m probably not looking at NH because housing and rentals are absurdly high there but I would choose that state over all other ones.

I would just like to find out from people who live in these states or at least know them well/used to be there/have family there about overall lifestyle and I guess pros and cons of each state and what your opinion would be which one is best of the 3

I’m 28 and my gf is 33, we both agree we hate idea of living in a big city but we wouldn’t mind living in a smaller town but be near a city or bigger area for work. We felt on recent trip to VT NH and MASS that Vermont was amazing it was so peaceful and beautiful but seems expensive and I hear winters are tough there. I like cold but hate lot of snow, my gf will be cold if it’s 60 and windy pretty much…. But I want to at least be somewhere that the snow isn’t crazy, would Connecticut be best for that or southern Maine? I hear southern Maine gets only smaller snowstorms but are there winters much longer and colder then CT?

Out of all areas I mentioned I would say I like people and culture of NH the most but in fairness don’t really know Maine and CT much, I kinda picture CT as less crowded NJ but I can be wrong. I guess I associate more with Libertarians and Conservatives, GF can probably get along with anyone and is more down the middle I guess, I don’t want to live in a heavily liberal area that’s a goal.

So out of the 3 states which one is best “bang for your buck” and which one is best winter climate? Also can you live in CT comfortably and be “lower middle class” or regular middle class even?
In my opinion, CT (even "rural" CT) can't really be compared to upper New England. "Rural" CT would give you the worst of both worlds. You are not rural and quiet enough to justify the inconvenience of living far from things. On the other hand, New Hampshire and Maine would provide a real rural living experience. The winter is slightly shorter in CT in terms of how long snow starts and sticks around though, but if you want to live in New England, choose New Hampshire or Maine.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:56 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Very expensive, I’d pick Connecticut over Mass. there are other reasons not going to post it but not considering Mass. and I don’t think that’ll change. Not saying it sucks or anything like that I liked it there to but not looking
to move to that state
Well, I would say that interior Connecticut and interior or more remote parts of Massachusetts are quite similar.. Massachusetts often comes with the higher price tag, largely because it's centered around Boston/95 with access to lot of high paying jobs (much like southwest CT). Massachusetts also skews a bit more earthy crunchy, especially as you move from central to western MA. Western MA would be most similar to VT, if we were to compare New England at large.

But, unless there are some reasons that go beyond explanation, I'm not sure Connecticut makes sense based on the way you feel about Massachusetts. Both are similar- Expensive, low density as you move inland, heavily forested, ungridded, and their communities largely operate as siloed towns. You'll find similar quaintness and remoteness in each State, and the difference will not be noticeable to someone who is not from there. Ultimately, remote Massachusetts and coastal Massachusetts are prettier in the minds of most. But, to each their own.

Back to the original question - If you like cold but don't like a lot of snow, I'd focus less on the state and more on the coast. Areas along the water between CT/MA/NH/ME should be the target. As you know, you will find less snow along the coast than you will in the interior parts of any Northeast State. I love vermont... Place is magic. But, it's not for you based on what you're saying.

Without knowing any more about your situation or criteria, I myself would choose somewhere around or between Rye/Portsmouth NH and Scarborough/Portland ME. It sounds right up your alley. Not a ton of snow, cold, and quite pretty. Even in the city boundaries of Portsmouth or Portland, you can find plenty of remoteness.

The bonus of the Portsmouth area is access to both Boston and Portland, no income tax in NH, and a slightly more balanced political and cultural mindset.

The bonus of Portland area is that it's a bigger city with access to more conveniences downtown.. Lil more happenin' in general, though still very low key by city standards. It's also the cheaper region, as you move away from a lot of industry as compared to Portsmouth. Also, as you head north of Portland, you'll find yourself in arguably the most beautiful part of any coast outside of CA/OR/WA.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:40 AM

968 posts, read 727,107 times
Based on your description of your weather wants & needs, I think you're barking up the wrong trees with either VT or ME. VT winters are notoriously snowy, and while coastal ME will be a little bit more moderate, it still gets a lot of snow (Portland averages 61", or about 3x NYC). Both places are of course lovely, but if your GF gets cold when it's 60 and windy, moving her to interior VT will pretty much guarantee she will never become your wife

Have you considered looking the other direction, say in the more mountainous parts of VA? You probably won't get as many postcard towns there, but it will be pleasantly rural and the winter may be more to your liking. CT would also be more mild than ME or VT, but will have worse winters than NJ (not to mention, the nicer "rural" towns are relatively pricey given accessibility to NYC).

Old 10-22-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
In my opinion, CT (even "rural" CT) can't really be compared to upper New England. "Rural" CT would give you the worst of both worlds. You are not rural and quiet enough to justify the inconvenience of living far from things. On the other hand, New Hampshire and Maine would provide a real rural living experience. The winter is slightly shorter in CT in terms of how long snow starts and sticks around though, but if you want to live in New England, choose New Hampshire or Maine.

I just figured it was possible to make more money in CT but also possible to live quiet and at least semi rural, but outside of Portland is probably what I’m looking for. I will try and find the right spot in NH though

Old 10-22-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Well, I would say that interior Connecticut and interior or more remote parts of Massachusetts are quite similar.. Massachusetts often comes with the higher price tag, largely because it's centered around Boston/95 with access to lot of high paying jobs (much like southwest CT). Massachusetts also skews a bit more earthy crunchy, especially as you move from central to western MA. Western MA would be most similar to VT, if we were to compare New England at large.

But, unless there are some reasons that go beyond explanation, I'm not sure Connecticut makes sense based on the way you feel about Massachusetts. Both are similar- Expensive, low density as you move inland, heavily forested, ungridded, and their communities largely operate as siloed towns. You'll find similar quaintness and remoteness in each State, and the difference will not be noticeable to someone who is not from there. Ultimately, remote Massachusetts and coastal Massachusetts are prettier in the minds of most. But, to each their own.

Back to the original question - If you like cold but don't like a lot of snow, I'd focus less on the state and more on the coast. Areas along the water between CT/MA/NH/ME should be the target. As you know, you will find less snow along the coast than you will in the interior parts of any Northeast State. I love vermont... Place is magic. But, it's not for you based on what you're saying.

Without knowing any more about your situation or criteria, I myself would choose somewhere around or between Rye/Portsmouth NH and Scarborough/Portland ME. It sounds right up your alley. Not a ton of snow, cold, and quite pretty. Even in the city boundaries of Portsmouth or Portland, you can find plenty of remoteness.

The bonus of the Portsmouth area is access to both Boston and Portland, no income tax in NH, and a slightly more balanced political and cultural mindset.

The bonus of Portland area is that it's a bigger city with access to more conveniences downtown.. Lil more happenin' in general, though still very low key by city standards. It's also the cheaper region, as you move away from a lot of industry as compared to Portsmouth. Also, as you head north of Portland, you'll find yourself in arguably the most beautiful part of any coast outside of CA/OR/WA.

Yeah I had to have the “I’m not moving to Cali or the west coast” argument with her, I actually met her out in LV, she’s lived last few years or more out in LA area and her mother is retired in Vegas. I am thinking about going to Vegas as well but jobs there are horrendous and it’s all LA people going there driving up prices….. she wants to go to NE anyway. Vermont is magical but we will stick to visiting, I told her coast of Maine is gorgeous and I think Portland metro works out for both of us. She’s gonna have to adjust to cold she is from Florida and has been living in Vegas/LA but she did travel for work and was living in colder regions in past(Chicago, Alberta Canada)

I do like the feel of Connecticut though and might be better climate but I will have to research all that. I think NH is by far the best state overall, when she inherits her mothers house plus whatever she has saved up we will use that money and go to NH…. Or Woodstock VT…….

Old 10-22-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Based on your description of your weather wants & needs, I think you're barking up the wrong trees with either VT or ME. VT winters are notoriously snowy, and while coastal ME will be a little bit more moderate, it still gets a lot of snow (Portland averages 61", or about 3x NYC). Both places are of course lovely, but if your GF gets cold when it's 60 and windy, moving her to interior VT will pretty much guarantee she will never become your wife

Have you considered looking the other direction, say in the more mountainous parts of VA? You probably won't get as many postcard towns there, but it will be pleasantly rural and the winter may be more to your liking. CT would also be more mild than ME or VT, but will have worse winters than NJ (not to mention, the nicer "rural" towns are relatively pricey given accessibility to NYC).

Yeah I was heavily looking at Roanoke and Christiansburg actually, she doesn’t want to go south Maybe a smaller city in NC but jobs in southern Virginia were pretty bad and everyone moved to Tennessee so idk…. I just don’t think it compares to NE and I think quality of life can be better up there tbh. But Roanoke rent even post Covid is very cheap I’ll give it that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.