Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 08:24 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Whether or not people are genuinely nicer people superficially act different. Humor in this context is the same thing. Because people don’t really have friends in many cities it’s based on superficial interactions.
They don't act different just because they use certain words. But if you consider southern hospitality to just be those words and not a sincere attempt to be nice due to regional culture then you're correct. Thats not how most people describe southern hospitality though. Are you saying that people aren't necessarily funnier but you perceive them to be because of their accent or lingo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 12:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Southern hospitality is an absolute myth. We are just taught to say yes ma'am and no ma'am. Sweetie and honey are just common terms, same as baby in Louisiana. Just because I call you baby doesn't mean I am fond of you. Bless your heart is an insult. But again, none of this makes southerners inherently nice or mean.
Everyone isn't the same, some people are used to eating clam chowder, some aren't, but location doesn't dictate humor.
Southern hospitality might be a myth in Louisiana (I don't believe it), but you don't speak for the entire South. I have personally experienced it all over the region, and it is most certainly not a myth.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Southern hospitality might be a myth in Louisiana (I don't believe it), but you don't speak for the entire South. I have personally experienced it all over the region, and it is most certainly not a myth.
Prove that southern states are more hospitable and I'll believe you. Otherwise you can't prove it and location of birth doesn't dictate levels of hospitality.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
While I'm too lazy to do any real research into this, I'd be surprised if on a per capita basis, Massachusetts would come out on top for most comedians. Off the top of my head:

Louis CK
Bill Burr
Doug Stanhope
Conan
Leno
Steve Carell
Dane Cook
Denis Leary
Amy Poehler
BJ Novack
Mindy Kaling
John Krasinski (yes, that's basically the entire cast of the US office)...

If you extend it across state lines (but still within the Boston CSA) you'd pick up Adam Sandler & Sarah Silverman (NH) and Seth Macfarland & Charlie Day (RI)

There's a lot of outsized personalities there, and most people are of the self-depreciating type which (imo) tends to bode well for being funny. I'd apply that same description to NY/NJ too.

Chicago stands out too, with Second City, etc.
Sam Jay has a comedy show on HBO, Pause with Sam Jay Boston Native
Patrice Oneal
Drew Fraser (worked with Bill Burr, First Amendment Stand-Up)

Old 11-01-2021, 01:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Wisconsin also produced Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the paragons of late 20th/early 21st century American humor.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 was actually a Minneapolis-based show.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:06 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
They don't act different just because they use certain words. But if you consider southern hospitality to just be those words and not a sincere attempt to be nice due to regional culture then you're correct. Thats not how most people describe southern hospitality though. Are you saying that people aren't necessarily funnier but you perceive them to be because of their accent or lingo?
While being polite is more of a convention in the south Sarcasm is much more acceptable in the Northeast even to random people and in formal situations. Meaning superficial interactions do have more humor because it’s not convention to be cordial

Old 11-02-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
While being polite is more of a convention in the south Sarcasm is much more acceptable in the Northeast even to random people and in formal situations. Meaning superficial interactions do have more humor because it’s not convention to be cordial
I've always been pretty sarcastic so I haven't noticed it much from my perspective. Also many young people in the south lack the whole "honey, sweetie", etc vernacular, its not like Leave It to Beaver anymore in many areas.
When you say northeast, do you include rural areas?

Old 11-03-2021, 12:32 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Seattle’s KING TV ran a Saturday local satiric comedy called Almost Live in the 80’s and 90’s. It actually was quite good. Made fun of Seattleites and the different neighborhoods. Great comedy but you had to know the area to appreciate. In the end, just became too hip for the room and perhaps too expensive to produce. But some cutting-edge comedy there.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:34 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Prove that southern states are more hospitable and I'll believe you. Otherwise you can't prove it and location of birth doesn't dictate levels of hospitality.
Prove that they aren't more hospitable. You can't.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:58 PM

783 posts, read 836,666 times
RENO 911

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.