Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 03:00 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
Seattle proper, yes. The metro area - not so much. Most people in places like Everett or Pierce County are more like the Reno folks you described than those in the city of Seattle proper. I had a cousin who lived in Maple Valley (~25 miles from Seattle) and I felt like I was in rural Texas culturally when I visited.

One place where this type of intellectual/creative population does extend through much of the metro region is the Bay Area. It's not limited to San Francisco at all - the inner East Bay, Peninsula, Marin County, Silicon Valley, and various other parts of the Bay Area also have it. In Southern California, much of LA County also fits the bill.
Good points about Seattle. I was going to buy a place in MV, beautiful homes at a somewhat affordable price. Then I started driving around, and it felt like I was in the country. I really wasn't comfortable. Seattle isn't close to the Bay Area, at least not right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 07:02 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
I don’t mean this in a derogatory way, but I don’t think of artsy/creative types as stereotypical “smart”.

I don’t mean to imply they aren’t or can’t be smart….there are smart people from all walks of life. But when I think of artsy/creative….I think more bohemian/hippy/free thinking as opposed to “academic”.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:37 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,171,732 times
Quote:
Seattle proper, yes. The metro area - not so much. Most people in places like Everett or Pierce County are more like the Reno folks you described than those in the city of Seattle proper. I had a cousin who lived in Maple Valley (~25 miles from Seattle) and I felt like I was in rural Texas culturally when I visited.

One place where this type of intellectual/creative population does extend through much of the metro region is the Bay Area. It's not limited to San Francisco at all - the inner East Bay, Peninsula, Marin County, Silicon Valley, and various other parts of the Bay Area also have it. In Southern California, much of LA County also fits the bill.
Feels like Denver is the same way. There are small pockets of 'culture' in some of the western suburbs but you pretty much have to go into the city to find folks who're into books and artsy stuff.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:55 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Stay away from smart people.
Having been to Sierra Vista, AZ where you are from, I think you might be fairly safe. But being the hummingbird capital of the U.S. is pretty cool, anyways.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:00 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Feels like Denver is the same way. There are small pockets of 'culture' in some of the western suburbs but you pretty much have to go into the city to find folks who're into books and artsy stuff.
Lots of frat bro meatheads in the area

Old 10-30-2021, 08:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Like half the Bay Area's heads are in the clouds...and I don't mind one bit.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 25,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Having been to Sierra Vista, AZ where you are from, I think you might be fairly safe. But being the hummingbird capital of the U.S. is pretty cool, anyways.
lol, the zingers in this thread. geez. lol. pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
cultured people are intolerant?...
?
Intolerant of the "uncultured". Not that hard to understand. If you're smart like me at least! lol

===

The intelligence modalities
2.1 Musical-rhythmic and harmonic
2.2 Visual-spatial
2.3 Linguistic-verbal
2.4 Logical-mathematical
2.5 Bodily-kinesthetic
2.6 Interpersonal
2.7 Intrapersonal
2.8 Naturalistic
2.9 Existential
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory..._intelligences

Getting a degree doesn't necessarily mean you're "smart" ...or "dumb". (My brother is a doctor and trust me he's the last to get a joke but has memorized a million facets of medicine and human health.) Intelligence is obv a complicated thing. Crystalized v fluid intelligence and etc etc. Memorizing things v figuring out new info.

"Highly cultured" ...in what culture? Culture is a complicated thing. Do you mean in all cultures? In the arts?

I remember going to Great Harvest in Tigard, OR and getting buttermilk and this a-hole in front of me didn't put down the divider thingy and the cashier asked if that was his and swear ta gawd... he had the most repulsed, condescending look on his face, "no! I would never buy that!" looking at me. Then the cashier gives me attitude. "Are you 70? lol. The only people who buy this are old. I buy hemp /almond/ chia seed (whatever nonsense)!" Like, okay dude if you want chia /almond/ hemp milk...which is just water with a bunch of vitamins to mimic the natural goodness that milk provides, and buttermilk has *less fat* than whole milk and etc etc. But the point was simply that holy smack, did they reeeeally think they were intrinsically, substantially, "objectively" better than me!

I've read a to of books. I don't name drop them to lord it over other people.

I don't have a degree. In fact I have a GED! lol. But I was skipped a grade in elementary and am secure in my own intelligence. This thread seems like a subtle excuse to trot out the old "Democrats are better than Republicans" trope. But aaaaanyways.

>>"Where do [highly cultured /creative (art/smart)] people most often congregate?"

Art galleries and colleges.

>"small elite/private school/college towns (like New Haven), or large liberal/cosmopolitan cities (like Boston)?"

Both. Obviously.

>"How do you really meet them (by going to art galleries/music halls)?"

Yes. But you may not get inside their pretentious circles unless you're from there and claw your way over people's proverbial backs showing that you are King **** of Highly Cultured /Art Smart Blah Blah Blah!

Or, you could just do like I do and be yourself and find the eeeven smarter ones, the creme de la creme of the Stupendously Smart Crowd ... who found that whole "game" ogf one-ups-manship pretentious and *stupid* and bugged out to a smaller locale?

Smart / cultured people find something to learn ///wherever they're at. Humility is a form of social intelligence. Trying to be "creative" in regards to creating your own business and lifestyle will be harder in a Democratic majority area where they tell you how to do everything, how to live, what your house needs to look like, what you can eat, say, think, etc. Because, yknow, they're so much smarter than you.

Ask David Lynch.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,300 times
I find that--gross generalization here--Americans like to put others down, for various reasons beyond the scope of this post. They seem to like others who think, act and spend in the same way that they do, but of course expect that you get out of their way even then, perhaps because every interaction ultimately is an "exceptional" contest in domination and submission.

It's a type of culture I suppose.

Last edited by thrasybulus; 11-09-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-09-2021, 12:42 PM

211 posts, read 136,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lots of frat bro meatheads in the area

LOL frat bro meatheads in the burbs, intellectual tech bros in the city, and you got your aggressively outdoorsy and/or 420 bros throughout the metro. We are the bro capital of the US, baby; a niche for every kind!

I don't think any of the laid back, Intermountain West cities would be considered 'highly cultured' tbh. On the flipside, I don't think I'd want to live in a place that considers itself as such, because it reads as snobby (i.e. the Bay Area).

Last edited by boomtown boi; 11-09-2021 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-09-2021, 07:01 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Seattle proper, yes. The metro area - not so much. Most people in places like Everett or Pierce County are more like the Reno folks you described than those in the city of Seattle proper.
Yeah. Pretty much only Seattle proper proper (not even the later annexed parts like Lake City) and parts of Bellevue, Kirkland and Redmond. Seattle cultural sphere of influence pretty much ends at Eastside burbs and Bainbridge Island.

It's kind of nice that way. You can escape the bubble.

Last edited by Guineas; 11-09-2021 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.