Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 08:21 PM

17 posts, read 18,377 times

Advertisements

Where do they most often congregate? small elite/private school/college towns (like New Haven), or large liberal/cosmopolitan cities (like Boston)? How do you really meet them (by going to art galleries/music halls)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 08:34 PM

70 posts, read 66,391 times
At events where they congratulate themselves for being so smart, rich, and elite. Usually art galleries, wineries, social protests, etc... aka dorky, inconsequential, self righteous and worthless places

Old 10-25-2021, 11:15 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,961,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boililikoi View Post
Where do they most often congregate? small elite/private school/college towns (like New Haven), or large liberal/cosmopolitan cities (like Boston)? How do you really meet them (by going to art galleries/music halls)?
Warm with Boston, getting colder with New Haven.

When I read the thread, my immediate thought was: Berkeley (CA) and Cambridge (MA). There are many places to find creative, intelligent people. But these are the first two that popped into my mind, largely because I’ve lived in or near both.

Last time I was in Cambridge, there was a game of trivia going on in the back of the brewery. The majority of participants were MIT and Harvard grads. Fast forward two or three bars - one of which included a science / chemistry forward mixologist- and we saw a large contingency of that same group at a show in Central Square. We asked them how they knew each other, and seemingly all of them worked in biotech and frequented the breweries and venues around Cambridge and Somerville together in off hours.

The next morning, we grabbed breakfast at our favorite cafe in Brookline, which is another hot spot for post college (BC BU Northeastern Berkeley Music) and masters/PHD students. It was incredible to hear the depth of conversations going on around us on the front patio. Climate reform and its relationship with private institutional rights was the topic of the day at the table next to us. Many others were reading or were writing. My wife and I looked at each other and laughed.. I had a Red Sox tshirt on and a backwards hat, maybe a pair of athliesure sweats. Let’s just say, we weren’t dressed the part, and I was nursing a fairly substantial hangover.

Back to the question of how do they meet - intelligent and curious individuals network with the circle they want to surround themselves with. They go see some intimate live music with coworkers or friends and friends or friends. They join a club or organization that they’re passionate about. They get involved, as much as possible, in anything that will bring self gratification or opportunity. It seems stressful, but I think with the right amount of motivation, it’s very rewarding.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-25-2021 at 11:24 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 12:58 AM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times
Seattle is the best place I've lived for this, by far. Probably one of the top cities in the country. Like mwj119 above, I regularly overhear conversations about technological change, current events, travel people have done in South America and Africa --- in random places where I'm not specifically trying to find smart and interesting people.

Reno, NV was the worst. I did eventually find smart people by getting into a couple activist groups, but you really have to look to find people interested in anything other than beer, pot, food, video games, getting their 46th tattoo, and punk/metal music. (Not that there's anything wrong with drinking. But I prefer using it as a lubricant to go on more wild, unhinged diatribes about capitalism)

Although plenty of people with degrees are boring, unadventurous, and not interested in any intellectual skills not required by their job --- and vice versa --- I think on a broad scale places with more bachelor's/master's degree holders will have more intellectually curious people.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:45 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,896,522 times
Online forums

Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,694,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seattle is the best place I've lived for this, by far. Probably one of the top cities in the country. Like mwj119 above, I regularly overhear conversations about technological change, current events, travel people have done in South America and Africa --- in random places where I'm not specifically trying to find smart and interesting people.

Reno, NV was the worst. I did eventually find smart people by getting into a couple activist groups, but you really have to look to find people interested in anything other than beer, pot, food, video games, getting their 46th tattoo, and punk/metal music. (Not that there's anything wrong with drinking. But I prefer using it as a lubricant to go on more wild, unhinged diatribes about capitalism)

Although plenty of people with degrees are boring, unadventurous, and not interested in any intellectual skills not required by their job --- and vice versa --- I think on a broad scale places with more bachelor's/master's degree holders will have more intellectually curious people.
You've never been to south Texas have you?

Old 10-26-2021, 10:16 AM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times
My experience: (no particular order)

Lenox-Stockbridge MA
Cambridge MA
Northampton MA
Woodstock NY
Millbrook NY
Cold Spring NY
Nantucket MA
Burlington VT
Middlebury VT
Bath ME
Parts of Morris County NJ
Farmington Valley CT

Old 10-26-2021, 12:17 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,813,659 times
In general, these types of people are quite often found in big cities or university towns -- keeping in mind that all of them (and their metros) also have neighborhoods that are populated with the poor, pedestrian, and/or uninformed.

Manhattan/Brooklyn
San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley
Boston/Cambridge
Washington DC
Chicago (Hyde Park and some North Side neighborhoods)
Seattle
Los Angeles (I'd guess, though I don't know the city well)

I think these folks are less likely to be found in heavily tourist-oriented cities like Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas, or in car-centric cities where low density and walkability cut down on the chances for human interaction and random mingling that I think amplify the possibilities for creating communities of the type of people OP has in mind. (Like I say, LA may be an exception to this) But I'm sure there are at least pockets of these types of folks in many places, including some of the smaller college towns already mentioned.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,140,827 times
DC
Atlanta

Old 10-26-2021, 04:07 PM

27,260 posts, read 44,232,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
In general, these types of people are quite often found in big cities or university towns -- keeping in mind that all of them (and their metros) also have neighborhoods that are populated with the poor, pedestrian, and/or uninformed.

Manhattan/Brooklyn
San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley
Boston/Cambridge
Washington DC
Chicago (Hyde Park and some North Side neighborhoods)
Seattle
Los Angeles
(I'd guess, though I don't know the city well)

I think these folks are less likely to be found in heavily tourist-oriented cities like Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas, or in car-centric cities where low density and walkability cut down on the chances for human interaction and random mingling that I think amplify the possibilities for creating communities of the type of people OP has in mind. (Like I say, LA may be an exception to this) But I'm sure there are at least pockets of these types of folks in many places, including some of the smaller college towns already mentioned.
I agree and would add many smaller to middle-tier metro areas like Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC, Ann Arbor MI, Madison WI, Burlington VT, Asheville NC or Santa Fe NM which in density of attributes can rival or exceed the much larger options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.