Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:59 PM

114 posts, read 509,077 times

Advertisements

i guarantee if you drew a picture of texas and north carolina in the sand side by side in some remote indian hut in shri lanka they would recognize texas before nc...and california
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:13 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
That's why I think most of these lists are garbage.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,777,519 times
It's VERY hard to believe that that list is true.

Do you really think more people internationally know Vermont over New Jersey? Or Illinois?

I traveled with a person across Europe from Vermont and not one person knew where it was, but everybody knew where Texas, California, Illinois, and New York were.

And Illinois at towards the bottom (I'd imagine it being around 5 or 6 due to Chicago). New Jersey can't possibly be the least well known state overseas. This list is complete garbage.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:08 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
It's VERY hard to believe that that list is true.

Do you really think more people internationally know Vermont over New Jersey? Or Illinois?

I traveled with a person across Europe from Vermont and not one person knew where it was, but everybody knew where Texas, California, Illinois, and New York were.

And Illinois at towards the bottom (I'd imagine it being around 5 or 6 due to Chicago). New Jersey can't possibly be the least well known state overseas. This list is complete garbage.
That's true, sort of. People around the world know of our cities but they don't necessarily know of our states. Chicago is certainly more well known than just about any other American city, but I'm not surprised that people haven't heard of Illinois. Newspapers, television news, magazines, airport flight schedules, etc. around the world just say "Chicago" and not "Chicago Illinois."

I am surprised, however, that North Carolina is more commonly recognized than Texas. I think that's a bunch of garbage.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
Do flights leave from Texas and go directly overseas. I don't know if they still do, but I remember when the direct flights to overseas started at Charlotte. Many airlines have come and gone since then.

I get the feeling some of you have never been to North Carolina. I live in the county that was the fastest growing county in America for two years in a row. It still ranks very high, and we are not running out of space; we are running out of water.

When the military are sent anywhere for anything the Fort Bragg troops go and Pope AFB transports them. That is why Pope is call the TDY base. My dh spent most of his 4 years in the Air Force at Pope, just a few hours from his parents home, but he went to France, Viet Nam, etc. He was not officially in these places, but he was physically there.

I think our governors are responsible for others having knowledge of us also. I am talking about Governor Jim Hunt and Governor Mike Easley. The things they are doing could be the reason our economy is doing better than some places. They are very proactive in a lot of "green" endeavors.

Last edited by NCN; 05-17-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Do flights leave from Texas and go directly overseas. I don't know if they still do, but I remember when the direct flights to overseas started at Charlotte. Many airlines have come and gone since then.

I get the feeling some of you have never been to North Carolina. I live in the county that was the fastest growing county in America for two years in a row. It still ranks very high, and we are not running out of space; we are running out of water.

When the military are sent anywhere for anything the Fort Bragg troops go and Pope AFB transports them. That is why Pope is call the TDY base. My dh spent most of his 4 years in the Air Force at Pope, just a few hours from his parents home, but he went to France, Viet Nam, etc. He was not officially in these places, but he was physically there.
If you were to add up every airport in all of North Carolina and all of South Carolina they would still be smaller than either Dallas-Ft Worth or Houston-Bush (Intercontinental). Charlotte does have a few overseas flights, but Houston and DFW also have flights to Asia and Latin America (Houston has more direct flights to Latin America than any other airport in the US) as well as more flights to Europe than Charlotte. A heck of a lot more.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,979,847 times
Seeing as NC is a major producer of tobacco, I am not surprised that NC would come in before Texas.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
A lot of movies are made in North Carolina too. It has been mentioned in our newspapers that we are the East Coast Hollywood. Our state is very cooperative with the movie makers and we have the School of the Arts. I know a lot of people who serve as extras in many movies. Beautiful scenery like the Lake Lure area where "Dirty Dancing" and "The Last of the Mohicans" were filmed. Biltmore House has been in at least one movie, probably more. "The Color Purple" was filmed in the Marshville area and the town. I have heard of and seen films being filmed that I have never seen the finished product. I don't know whether they didn't make it or they are being held until later. We have historic homes where a lot of films are made.

I don't really care whether NC is high on the list, but it certainly does not seem strange to me that it would be.

We have a lot of computer people going into other countries that would introduce NC to them. My dh's best friend is in Mexico as I post. My brother went to Mexico to help fix equipment there. We are a world economy and NC is meeting the challenge. I just hope they don't start asking our workers to move to these places. I like it here in NC just fine.

I also know of people who teach in other countries. My dil went to China to teach English to the Chinese businessmen. It was a one time thing, but she enjoyed it very much.

Last edited by NCN; 05-17-2008 at 07:31 PM..

Old 05-17-2008, 07:42 PM

6,201 posts, read 11,804,914 times
What? Georgia is ranked 33rd? I thought it would be in the top 10 or 15 at least. We've had the Olympics, we've got Coca-Cola, CNN, Delta Air Lines, etc.

Of course it's no surprise that California is ranked #1. From the rest of the world's point of view, the entire United States is like California. That is the birth of contemporary American culture, and eventually spreads nationwide and even world-wide.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:52 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Seeing as NC is a major producer of tobacco, I am not surprised that NC would come in before Texas.
On the flipside, Texas is a major producer for Oil and Cotton so Texas also has a very strong popular industry that is known. Still a funny list though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.