Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Good to see Washington so highly ranked. I guess the presence of Microsoft, Boeing, and Starbucks have increased the state's visibility.
Unfortunately, it looks like your state and mine are both being confused with certain large cities.

To some extent at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I live in Europe and the states we hear the most are California, Texas and Florida.

- Californie because it's the best known
- Texas for cow-boys
- Florida because of Miami and beaches

The others are almost unknown by most people
.Generally people know NYC but they don't know that there is a state called New York.

But it's my opinion
I can understand this because we have many states with American Indian names that could be confusing to people. But what about Alaska and Hawaii?

I suppose it matters what European or Asian country you come from too. I am sure most Russians heard of Alaska, most Japanese heard of Hawaii. For the French it may be Louisana etc.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,807 times
Where's Maryland?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Colorful Colorado is number 9?! Only?!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM
BNe

23 posts, read 55,488 times
There is absolutely no way that North Carolina or Kentucky are more well known than Texas. This summer I traveled through Europe and everyone I talked to had heard of Texas, some said "bang bang" but still they had heard of the place. When someone I went with said North Carolina they shrugged their shoulders and asked if it was near Texas. I say this in an impartial way. I'm from Oklahoma and only used it as a reference point for them.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
People sure know what KFC is. "Kentucky." When I was living in Germany the states I heard the most were California and Florida. People had heard of "houston, we have a problem" or "New York City" but not so much Texas and New York. There were also quite a few that knew of Las Vegas but not Nevada. However many people could associate San Francisco and LA with California because of Yosemite which attracts a bazillion visitors. Many visitors also went to wine valley, carmel, did highway 1, ect....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNe View Post
There is absolutely no way that North Carolina or Kentucky are more well known than Texas. This summer I traveled through Europe and everyone I talked to had heard of Texas, some said "bang bang" but still they had heard of the place. When someone I went with said North Carolina they shrugged their shoulders and asked if it was near Texas. I say this in an impartial way. I'm from Oklahoma and only used it as a reference point for them.

Nothing against NC, I can see KY with KFC brand. But in name only, they probably have no idea where KY is located.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like your state and mine are both being confused with certain large cities.

To some extent at least.
Even some people in the US have a hard time telling the difference between Washington state and Washington DC.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
How the hell is NJ ranked last? That is quite a powerful state and borders NYC, which is a world class city. I don't believe this list one bit.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I can understand this because we have many states with American Indian names that could be confusing to people. But what about Alaska and Hawaii?.
Yeah, we know that such names like Nevada, Colorado or Michigan are in the USA but it's difficult to make the difference between cities and states.

For a long time I thought that New Jersey and New York were just cities.

I also thought Hawaii was an independent country, I didn't know it belonged to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.