Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 04:15 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
On the flipside, Texas is a major producer for Oil and Cotton so Texas also has a very strong popular industry that is known. Still a funny list though.
I doubt that any international locations get their oil from Texas. Most cotton products are produced in outside of the United States, too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Yeah I don't think NC is more internationally known than Texas. I mean for better or for WORSE even.

I'm pretty sure a lot of places get oil from Texas.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, since so many Europeans smoke, even when riding their bikes! But Illinois (Chicago) #40 after S. Dakota, et al?
I am not sure that I am really shocked that Illinois ranks after South Dakota, either.

Like another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, people overseas refer to cities solely by their names, not the name and the state like some Americans do. You will never heard two Germans talking about how they're getting ready to take a trip to Chicago, Illinois. They will say that they're going to Chicago. Same with Miami. You're not going to hear Brits sitting around talking about how they're going to Miami, Florida. They're just going to Miami. If you're from out of the country, many times you might not care what state you are in, just that you are in America. Now some exceptions might hold true for Florida, California, and Hawaii.

South Dakota holds international reverence because of the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills are quite a large international tourist attraction and so is Mount Rushmore. Since you can't really identify Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills as being within or near a major city (ex. Philadelphia - Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Franklin Institute, etc.), I think a lot more international people identify it as being in South Dakota.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yeah I don't think NC is more internationally known than Texas. I mean for better or for WORSE even.

I'm pretty sure a lot of places get oil from Texas.
I do not really see how or why Texas as a state would hold much importance for people outside of the United States. I think the stereotypical image of America is heavily influenced by Texas, but I doubt that does much in making Texas anymore visible on the international radar.

Additionally, very few places outside of the United States get oil from Texas.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I am not sure that I am really shocked that Illinois ranks after South Dakota, either.

Like another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, people overseas refer to cities solely by their names, not the name and the state like some Americans do. You will never heard two Germans talking about how they're getting ready to take a trip to Chicago, Illinois. They will say that they're going to Chicago. Same with Miami. You're not going to hear Brits sitting around talking about how they're going to Miami, Florida. They're just going to Miami. If you're from out of the country, many times you might not care what state you are in, just that you are in America. Now some exceptions might hold true for Florida, California, and Hawaii.

South Dakota holds international reverence because of the Black Hills and Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills are quite a large international tourist attraction and so is Mount Rushmore. Since you can't really identify Mount Rushmore or the Black Hills as being within or near a major city (ex. Philadelphia - Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Franklin Institute, etc.), I think a lot more international people identify it as being in South Dakota.
That is such an excellent post!

This thread has shown just how arrogant some Americans can be. We are shocked--SHOCKED--that the rest of the world doesn't recognize our beloved favorite states as highly as we do. As if the rest of the world has nothing better to do than memorize our 50 states and rank them by importance.

And since most American school kids can't name all 50 states (and certainly can't locate them on a map) I don't know why it's so distressing to realize that Europeans don't know our 50 states, either.

People overseas know of our cities, but NOT our states except for a few that almost act like their own countries: California, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska.

I remember in the British high school I went to while a teenager in Hong Kong, in our geography textbook it said "New England" was a state in the US. And it was pointless to try to correct them.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is such an excellent post!

I remember in the British high school I went to while a teenager in Hong Kong, in our geography textbook it said "New England" was a state in the US. And it was pointless to try to correct them.
Love that comment. It shows that geographic ignorance is not confined to the US.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:18 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I doubt that any international locations get their oil from Texas. Most cotton products are produced in outside of the United States, too.
Not my point. Doesn't matter if the world gets their oil from somewhere else. But they do know when they think of Oil in the United States, Texas first comes to mind. I agree with your 2nd point. Country Western music icons, to movies not necessarily filmed in Texas but depicted as Texas to more.You'd think with stereotypes, you would think Texas would be higher.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:09 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Some surprises.
and the Japanese give high rankings
to Kentucky, Alaska and Minnesota.
I do believe that about the Japanese ranking KY high because of course the Toyota Camry is made here but they have also opened several other Japanese businesses here such as Aisin. I live in a fairly small town and there are quite a few Japanese that live here.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not my point. Doesn't matter if the world gets their oil from somewhere else. But they do know when they think of Oil in the United States, Texas first comes to mind. I agree with your 2nd point. Country Western music icons, to movies not necessarily filmed in Texas but depicted as Texas to more.You'd think with stereotypes, you would think Texas would be higher.
Not really. I doubt people overseas care which U.S. state produces oil. The percentage of global oil produced in Texas is extremely tiny. There are reserves in Venezuela, Nigeria, and the Middle East that produce and hold MUCH more oil than Texas.

People overseas think on a much more international scale than Americans do. They are more likely to be aware that the United States receives oil from the Middle East than from Oil Country, Texas.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:53 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I do believe that about the Japanese ranking KY high because of course the Toyota Camry is made here but they have also opened several other Japanese businesses here such as Aisin. I live in a fairly small town and there are quite a few Japanese that live here.
I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with Toyota being in Japan. There are more Japanese companies in Tennessee than there are in Kentucky, for one thing.

I think it has to do with good ol' Colonel Sanders. There are Kentucky Fried Chickens all over Japan. You'll see Japanese getting their pictures taken with life-sized mannequins of Colonel Sanders in front of most of those KFCs. The name "Kentucky" is very well known--and I bet most of those people who answered the survey had no idea it was a state until they saw it on the survey.

Dang it now I'm craving some KFC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.