Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 4,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What does Tampa or Orlando have to offer for Michelin? And what is this "deal" they needed to "strike?" It sounds like money was exchanged for this to occur. Miami has been a millionaire/billionaire magnet for decades, why are they just starting now?
And how was LA just added? It's been a destination for uppity folk for longer than Miami. I'm sure there's quite a few cities with more establoshed culinary culture to offer than Tampa and Orlando.

Probably the same kind of deal California struck in 2019.

Money's involved but they won't just add any ol place. Florida is both a culinary and tourism powerhouse and for good reason.

"Michelin is partnering with Visit Florida to produce the newest guide. Details of the partnership were not disclosed, but in 2019, when the guide introduced awards for the entire state of California, it was reported that the state’s tourism board, Visit California, paid $600,000 to expand the guide. (Previously, Michelin had recognized only restaurants in the Bay Area.)"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-miami-orlando

Last edited by Gressa21; 11-01-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 04:05 PM

36,667 posts, read 67,622,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Lol, you could have just said NoCal rulez, Socal droolz because that's how I am gonna interpret your reasoning.
Well given that it's me, Im not surprised that you interpret it that way, but I do think it's s travesty. LA has excellent food options.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:08 PM

7,422 posts, read 6,586,935 times
I’m less familiar with Tampa and Orlando but do suspect Tampa’s Bern’s Steakhouse, as one example—consistently ranked as one of the top steakhouses in the nation with a great wine cellar and separate, acclaimed dessert room—will qualify. I’m sure Orlando/Tampa posters can provide other examples. Not sure why LA was not included earlier whereas Miami’s dining scene has really only taken off within the past several years - decade with an infusion of European and domestic (some Michelin rated) outposts from other cities complementing local talented chefs and restaurants.

Not surprising that other California cities (Southern California) plus Miami are now being added as they meet the founding criteria of the Michelin Guide which was to cater to a well traveled international crowd. They join other cities (NYC, Chicago, D.C, and SF/Napa) that meet this criteria along with their respective restaurants being judged on the following: Quality of ingredients used; Mastery of flavor and cooking techniques; the personality of the chef in their cuisine; Value for money; and Consistency of food between visits.

Again, the Florida cities have now been been invited to the dance with individual restaurants still needing to meet and earn the culinary requirements stated above to be selected for an award.

Michelin is highly regarded internationally, is considered the Oscars of restaurants, and is highly coveted; there are other restaurant distinctions available including James Beard, Bib Gourmand, Wine Spectator Awards, etc which encompass many more cities and different culinary criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What does Tampa or Orlando have to offer for Michelin? And what is this "deal" they needed to "strike?" It sounds like money was exchanged for this to occur. Miami has been a millionaire/billionaire magnet for decades, why are they just starting now?
And how was LA just added? It's been a destination for uppity folk for longer than Miami. I'm sure there's quite a few cities with more establoshed culinary culture to offer than Tampa and Orlando.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-01-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 06:50 PM

9,388 posts, read 9,370,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
How Florida over LA, Boston and Atlanta. Jeez
Michelin Guide is a mixed bag for me because it comes down to money and politics, that is why several magnificent culinary cities are excluded from the guide. LA is an odd exception though since California is included.

But the fact that Tampa and Orlando will have potential Michelin restaurants over Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, New Orleans, etc. is laughable to me.

But at least there are several other highly regarding culinary rankings, so I don't get caught up on the Michelin Guide.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:04 PM

I'm very excited to see Florida's restaurant guide. Not just the stars but also the Bib Gourmand restaurants they pick tend to be spot on, places that you can eat well for about $40---Oakland has 10 Bib Gourmand restaurants and they are all by me more or less. Anyway, I think this will also be a good way to let locals know about restaurants nearby they may not have heard of.

Now back to business: According to the Guide, one star signifies "a very good restaurant", two stars are "excellent cooking that is worth a detour", and three stars mean "exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey"

Michelin 3-Star Restaurants in the United States, 2021: 13

Chicago Guide: 1
Chicago-Alinea

New York Guide: 5
New York-Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare
New York-Eleven Madison Park
New York-Le Bernardin
New York-Masa
New York-Per Se

Washington Guide: 1
Washington-The Inn at Little Washington

California Guide: 6
Healdsburg, CA-SingleThread
Los Gatos, CA-Manresa
San Francisco-Atalier Crenn
San Francisco-Benu
San Francisco--Quince
Yountville, CA-French Laundry

I can't wait to see the Florida three stars!

Old 11-01-2021, 08:24 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Michelin Guide is a mixed bag for me because it comes down to money and politics, that is why several magnificent culinary cities are excluded from the guide. LA is an odd exception though since California is included.

But the fact that Tampa and Orlando will have potential Michelin restaurants over Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, New Orleans, etc. is laughable to me.

But at least there are several other highly regarding culinary rankings, so I don't get caught up on the Michelin Guide.
Yeah i dont consider michellin star restaurants that great.

I much rather have a philly cheeseteak from that market in philly or chowder than pseudo french food from an overpriced flare up restaurant in ny or sf. The ranking is literally meaningless to 99.999% of people

Old 11-01-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah i dont consider michellin star restaurants that great.

I much rather have a philly cheeseteak from that market in philly or chowder than pseudo french food from an overpriced flare up restaurant in ny or sf. The ranking is literally meaningless to 99.999% of people
Normally yes, think of dining at a 3-star restaurant(or equivalent) as an experience more than just a great meal. I prefer "regular" restaurants but for special occasions, why not?

Old 11-01-2021, 09:22 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Normally yes, think of dining at a 3-star restaurant(or equivalent) as an experience more than just a great meal. I prefer "regular" restaurants but for special occasions, why not?
Because i ate at a michellin restaurant once overseas and it was mediocre at best. And the list just selects weird cities and not others. Like how is there no LA? Lol

Los Angeles of all places doesnt have a michellin star restaurant? How is this a good ranking system lol

Old 11-01-2021, 09:39 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,939,411 times
Quote:
Because i ate at a michellin restaurant once overseas and it was mediocre at best. And the list just selects weird cities and not others. Like how is there no LA? Lol

Los Angeles of all places doesnt have a michellin star restaurant? How is this a good ranking system lol
Michelin only ranks in select markets, as I’m sure you realize. Agreed that it’s a strange thing, but I follow just to see which cities do get recognized.

I can tell you that Alinea is truly edible art. Grant Achatz, to me, is more of an artist than a chef. Colors and texture over everything. Not dissimilar to many other 3-star chefs.

Personally, I like the James Beard lists. It spans the culinary spectrum, without going too far.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:02 PM

662 posts, read 1,283,684 times
Quote:

LA has a lot of Michelin star restaurants. It doesn’t have a 3-star Michelin restaurant, which I can see. Michelin is heavily skewed towards French restaurants. “Ethnic” restaurants that rarely make the list do so by playing by French standards, incorporating french techniques, serving a French wine list and having long course tasting menus. 3 star is a very specific type of restaurant, but it shouldn’t be considered a better restaurant. LA’s dominance as a food city is at the non-French level, meaning Chinese, Korean, Mexican etc, hyperauthentic cuisines and formats that really don’t make these types of lists. LA's ascent on the national food scene really had to do with Jonathan Gold’s take on LA, judging cuisine based on their own cultural standards, rather than something like Michelin, who judges other cultures through a French lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.