Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,285,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Michelin only ranks in select markets, as I’m sure you realize. Agreed that it’s a strange thing, but I follow just to see which cities do get recognized.

I can tell you that Alinea is truly edible art. Grant Achatz, to me, is more of an artist than a chef. Colors and texture over everything. Not dissimilar to many other 3-star chefs.

Personally, I like the James Beard lists. It spans the culinary spectrum, without going too far.
The dirty secret about Michelin is they get paid now to review cities. A lot of cities in Asia, Washington DC, California and now Florida went this route. Word has is that Texas is trying to do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 10:46 PM

36,692 posts, read 67,712,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Because i ate at a michellin restaurant once overseas and it was mediocre at best. And the list just selects weird cities and not others. Like how is there no LA? Lol

Los Angeles of all places doesnt have a michellin star restaurant? How is this a good ranking system lol
LA has several Michelin Star restaurants, but no 3-star restaurants.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:53 PM

484 posts, read 874,213 times
Michelin published Los Angeles guides for 2008 and 2009, way before many other cities' editions. The first North American Michelin Guide (for NYC) was published for 2006 and LA's followed 2 years later. At the time LA was only 1 of 4 cities with local editions, along with NYC, SF, and LV. They suspended publication for financial and economic reasons until the recent comeback with the California edition. Having said that, getting a Michelin Guide for your city/region is not something to hang your hat on, imo. They are not the arbiter of great restaurants and food. It has lost its relevance (some would argue it had no relevance in the first place). Angelenos don't really care about Michelin Guide and Michelin don't really understand the food culture of LA.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:54 PM

12,236 posts, read 8,145,216 times
Its an inconsistent, flawed ranking system is what im hearing lol.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:26 AM

7,464 posts, read 6,630,407 times
I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting any Florida restaurant to receive the rare 3 stars. The vast majority will come from Miami, the already mentioned Bern’s of Tampa will be a notable exception and most definitely deserving, with NAOE one restaurant that I can think of that might receive 2 stars given Michelin’s penchant for Japanese restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm very excited to see Florida's restaurant guide. Not just the stars but also the Bib Gourmand restaurants they pick tend to be spot on, places that you can eat well for about $40---Oakland has 10 Bib Gourmand restaurants and they are all by me more or less. Anyway, I think this will also be a good way to let locals know about restaurants nearby they may not have heard of.

Now back to business: According to the Guide, one star signifies "a very good restaurant", two stars are "excellent cooking that is worth a detour", and three stars mean "exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey"

Michelin 3-Star Restaurants in the United States, 2021: 13

Chicago Guide: 1
Chicago-Alinea

New York Guide: 5
New York-Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare
New York-Eleven Madison Park
New York-Le Bernardin
New York-Masa
New York-Per Se

Washington Guide: 1
Washington-The Inn at Little Washington

California Guide: 6
Healdsburg, CA-SingleThread
Los Gatos, CA-Manresa
San Francisco-Atalier Crenn
San Francisco-Benu
San Francisco--Quince
Yountville, CA-French Laundry

I can't wait to see the Florida three stars!

Last edited by elchevere; 11-02-2021 at 09:58 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 10:19 AM

2,378 posts, read 2,355,999 times
Just for fun, here are a few possibly contenders in Orlando and Tampa.

Bern’s - Tampa: As already mentioned, it’s probably Tampa’s best hope. There’s not another restaurant offering the kind of experience they have. That said, I’ve been and most of the people I know have been, and I don’t know of anyone who says it’s actually their favorite restaurant. Their dessert room is 10/10 though.
Victoria and Albert’s - Orlando: This is Disney’s high end restaurant. I’ve never been, but it looks pretty awesome. I’m not sure if the fact that it’s owned by Disney will hurt or help them in this.
Bull and Bear - Orlando: Supposedly a very good steak house. I’ve never been, not sure if they have what it takes.
Mise en Place - Tampa: This might be a long shot, but they’ve legitimately got some of the best food in Tampa.

St. Pete may have a couple restaurants with a chance too, but I’m not sure if they’ll qualify as part of Tampa. It seems like they should, but I read Palm Beach won’t count as Miami so who knows.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 18 hours ago)

6,834 posts, read 6,103,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t understand what “striking a deal” means in this context.
It means the state will be paying the tire company money to be included in its lists.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:46 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,417,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Michelin Guide is a mixed bag for me because it comes down to money and politics, that is why several magnificent culinary cities are excluded from the guide. LA is an odd exception though since California is included.

But the fact that Tampa and Orlando will have potential Michelin restaurants over Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, New Orleans, etc. is laughable to me.

But at least there are several other highly regarding culinary rankings, so I don't get caught up on the Michelin Guide.
I wanted to reply to everyone who quoted me but this is exactly how I feel. Just as I expected, this list is heavily biased and subjective towards a certain demographic.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 AM

36,692 posts, read 67,712,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting any Florida restaurant to receive the rare 3 stars. The vast majority will come from Miami, the already mentioned Bern’s of Tampa will be a notable exception and most definitely deserving, with NAOE one restaurant that I can think of that might receive 2 stars given Michelin’s penchant for Japanese restaurants.
There are always pleasant surprises so you never know!

Old 11-02-2021, 11:07 AM

7,464 posts, read 6,630,407 times
The ones in Miami that stand a good chance of receiving a star—unsure of the number, but deservedly so—include the following:

NAOE
Ariete
Stubborn Seed
La Mar
Joe’s Stone Crab
Leku
Makoto
Mandolin Aegean

Uncertain if outposts that have received Michelin stars in other cities will receive one here (Cote, Carbone, Caviar Russe, Fiola—very good, El Cielo, L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon).

Thomas Keller’s Surf Club is quite good though the menu is similar to TAK Room in NYC which, to my knowledge, has not received a star.

Uchi, Tyson Cole Texas outpost—so no Michelin rankings, is excellent and probably should get a star.

Alter is temporarily closed, otherwise it would/will be a contender.

Other notables, though uncertain: Il Gabbiano, KYU, Boia de and Los Fuegos by Francis Mallmann.

Let’s see how I did in 4-5 months when the official rankings come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Just for fun, here are a few possibly contenders in Orlando and Tampa.

Bern’s - Tampa: As already mentioned, it’s probably Tampa’s best hope. There’s not another restaurant offering the kind of experience they have. That said, I’ve been and most of the people I know have been, and I don’t know of anyone who says it’s actually their favorite restaurant. Their dessert room is 10/10 though.
Victoria and Albert’s - Orlando: This is Disney’s high end restaurant. I’ve never been, but it looks pretty awesome. I’m not sure if the fact that it’s owned by Disney will hurt or help them in this.
Bull and Bear - Orlando: Supposedly a very good steak house. I’ve never been, not sure if they have what it takes.
Mise en Place - Tampa: This might be a long shot, but they’ve legitimately got some of the best food in Tampa.

St. Pete may have a couple restaurants with a chance too, but I’m not sure if they’ll qualify as part of Tampa. It seems like they should, but I read Palm Beach won’t count as Miami so who knows.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-02-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.