Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 11:19 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
I think that's probably why Asians in the south appear more Americanized since many Southern states touch the Alantic.
I think many Asian Americans in the South are very assimilated and culturally American, but mainstream Southern culture doesn't have heavy Asian influences, aside from people liking Chinese food like in the rest of America. Sushi restaurants in this area, though seem to all be owned by whites. But then again, unlike California or New York, an Asian American from Louisiana would typically not have that PC mentality of "so and so shouldn't be making Asian food because they're not Asian, this food isn't authentic enough etc etc....".

Yes we do have some first generation immigrants who mostly own restaurants, and there are international students because of LSU. But most Asian Americans born here are likely to have lots of non-Asian friends unlike in California where they are less assimilated and there is a lot of self-segregation. Typically Asian Americans here tend to be more similar to white Southerners than black Southerners in terms of culture and lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 17,698 times
I would consider Atlanta Metro to be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in US. Asians predominantly live in the NW/N/NE counties/cities. There has been a huge growth of Asians in the past 20 - 30 years. You can drive in certain areas and all you will see are business with Asian language signs on businesses. There are many churches/temples that cater the Asian community. There is an Indian temple that has become a tourist attraction. BAPS Swaminarayan Temple

Old 11-22-2021, 02:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth have very large/diverse Asian Communities. Houston., my home town seems to have most of its Asian areas west of downtown while DFW is Richardson, Plano, Irving, Haltom City (Laotian) and Arlington suburbs, the latter two being closer to Fort Worth. I think too both metros ranked in the top 5 for growth in the 2020 census for Asian residents. Toyota and NTT Data both have large presences in DFW. Houston has quite a few Asian-owned banks.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:27 PM

1,346 posts, read 876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
I would consider Atlanta Metro to be one of the most cosmopolitan cities in US. Asians predominantly live in the NW/N/NE counties/cities. There has been a huge growth of Asians in the past 20 - 30 years. You can drive in certain areas and all you will see are business with Asian language signs on businesses. There are many churches/temples that cater the Asian community. There is an Indian temple that has become a tourist attraction. BAPS Swaminarayan Temple
You can find similiar temples in the Twin Cities.
The largest Buddhist temple in North America
And a Hindu temple

Last edited by Kaszilla; 11-22-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 07:49 AM

148 posts, read 175,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Also a good number of Asians 10%+ in Sharon Canton Braintree and a growing population in Norwood. Fwiw.

As for the police and firemen I don’t think that’s a valid argument at all really. I’d wager 90% of polices forces in the country are a lot whiter than the city and probably a lot more Irish too. Probably very similar for fire departments too. Bostons not on Seattle’s level but it’s pretty Asian relative to most cities.
I'm from CA, never been to Boston or East Coast, but from what I gather Asians, at least Chinese, even here often have Boston or MA ties.

At my Buddhist college also here in Northern CA, there was a female student who went to Wellesley in CT and grew up in MA. She had kind of a nice charm and quirk to her. Also, one of the professors and a co-head grew up in Taiwan and then the temple, went to MIT right after high school. My friend's GF from BC, Canada went to UCLA and then to Harvard Law, and he also tagged along with her too but didn't take any classes there, or at least not a degree-seeking student. Also, this girl whose parents (dad died from cancer when she was a teen) owned a Chinese restaurant, or were successful/inherited money somehow due to nice house, their older daughter went to Harvard. And I believe my Chinese church's pastor's son's wife I believe was an MIT student. And my uncle's wife I believe spent time in Boston and NYC and said NY sucked, maybe because of the crowds, but likes Boston for some reason.

Also, this girl who flirted with me in middle school, a Cambodian one grade above me, I guess as an "Asian mating call" thing, which is kinda cute and awkward because I never even met her before when she said my name and gave me Valentine's cards and would see me at the local supermarket with my dad a year later and semi-loudly say HI TIM, went to a liberal arts college in New Hampshire.

That Chinese girl I was crushing on, who I only found from online, who went to Brown, in the state next door, and went to that prominent selective school in Virginia (Thomas Jefferson HS), and was a guitarist, who IMO, has a slightly off-key but sweet voice and superasian bowl cut, also now lives in Cambridge, MA! Not to mention this other girl, who from a similar circumstance, born in China, apparently raised in Japan, then Maryland, University of Pennsylvania, worked in NYC in the banking industry, then SF, and now Boston. That's a lot of moving, even for us mobile Asians.

So apparently because of big-name high-status colleges, and maybe some high-paying jobs, and maybe decent-enough Asian restaurants and things for some people, it attracts a lot of Asian people. They're not all these fancy rich or preppy science, med or law-related Asians who tend to have some old money, but from my experience, probably because they can afford to travel more and go to pricier colleges, they seem to be sucked into Massachusetts or somewhere in the Northeast like NYC or NJ. My aunt-in-law's cousin apparently teaches math at Columbia in NY.

So yes, there are a lot of "fancy Asians" in NYC and Boston. I wouldn't necessarily say fancy per se, just having a semi to full-blown academically and financially elitist lifestyle there. I could also go on about the Bay Area's Asian community, although I mostly lived in less-Asian populated areas, but we all know the Asian population here is large and spread out but not every town or street has a lot of Asians. For example, the first Chinatown in US, the fortune cookie, Sing Tao Daily, Bruce Lee, Margaret Cho, Jeremy Lin, Ali Wong, all Bay Area born and/or raised Asians. But for the Asians to go a few hours further, in a colder climate, and maybe even slightly more expensive despite probably higher paying work, but I'm not good with how the supply and demand for housing and work is there, it tells you they like the prestige of the East Coast, specifically parts of Boston and Manhattan/NJ and Long Island towns. The East Coast often attracts people more into the banking, marketing, business, law and medical fields.

We Asians tend to like status, guys, but we have some fun too! It's fun to try out the different restaurants and experience different types of neighborhoods or events within a city and compare it to the other one you're from.

I'm broke, have my own room, but some family help for now. I want to get into real estate or landlord-ing and buy a home in maybe a cheaper area of CA or a Mountain state like Colorado. If I became wealthy enough I'd buy a second home somewhere on the gulf shores or islands of MA or NY and be a fancy Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.