Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 07:10 AM

1,260 posts, read 946,848 times

Advertisements

What are some cities where they have a unique type of food when compared to the rest of the US that is found everywhere throughout the city itself? Like it's really a cultural thing that you can find that food in bakeries, restaurants, gas stations, stands on the street. It's just everywhere and no other city in the US can make that claim.

So yes while Chicago has deep dish, pizza of all types can be found in any city so I wouldn't count that. Nor would I count hot dogs styles. I also don't count foods that are unique to a city but not widely available within that same city, meaning it's not ingrained in the city's culture of every day places everywhere throughout the city. So for example, Jibaritos in Chicago are unique to the city, however, it's not widely available throughout the city. You have to seek out places that sell jibaritos and outside of the Puerto Rican neighborhood and a handful of Puerto Rican restaurants outside that neighborhood, finding places to get jibarito are not a lot.

For example:

Miami - Guava/Cheese pastries. You'll have an easier time finding a pastelito de guayaba y queso in Miami than you do finding pancakes, donuts, hot dogs, burgers and even big chain fast food places. As a Puerto Rican where we eat this, I love that it's so widely available everywhere you go here. Even in Chicago where I grew up, where there is a large Puerto Rican population and neighborhood, getting pastelitos de guayaba y queso you have to really search out for it in the city. Here in Miami pastelitos de guayaba y queso (or any solo guava pastry) are sold everywhere. No other city in the US can make that claim.

Chicago - Giardiniera Peppers. This is something I miss from Chicago are the giardiniera peppers. When I once ate a Subway (don't judge me) in Cleveland and wanted giardiniera peppers on my sandwich, I was shocked to find out that they don't carry those peppers. It was soon there that I learned that Chicago is really the only city that giardiniera peppers are used so much and widely available in. From Subway, to Potbelly sandwiches, to it being used on Italian Beef to pizza toppings, I had grown up thinking that those peppers were just a way of life in most cities, but learned that really in Chicago it's the only place where it's used so extensively and so readily available in restaurants and shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 07:15 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,739,797 times
TIL giardiniera peppers are available in Chicago Subways.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
TIL giardiniera peppers are available in Chicago Subways.
Yup. I thought it was a thing Subway carried everywhere! Nope, Chicago is the only place where every Subway carries them (and seems to be the most requested peppers from my experience).

Old 11-10-2021, 07:27 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,739,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
Yup. I thought it was a thing Subway carried everywhere! Nope, Chicago is the only place where every Subway carries them (and seems to be the most requested peppers from my experience).
That's awesome. I have to go to Jersey Mike's to get their version of those peppers or some other local Italian deli.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:27 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,177,345 times
Kniches in NYC. You can get bagels everywhere but only in New York do they give you way too much cream cheese.
Then there are some items that are somewhat unique at the state level:
Kolaches are widely available in Houston and other Texas cities. They're not as easily to find elsewhere.
Green Chili in Colorado. I understand New Mexico has its own version.
Boiled peanuts are common in parts of the southeast.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:48 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,406,204 times
Breakfast tacos in Austin and San Antonio. They are sold at taco stands, Mexican restaurants, coffee shops, convenience stores, BBQ stands, and fast food restaurants, and it's also common to make them at home

Old 11-10-2021, 07:51 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
for Miami I would probably add Stone Crabs....while I have had them in Vegas (at Piero's), that is not an item one finds in the vast majority of US cities. Never saw Stone Crabs on the menu in CA or NY, among other places.

Carne asada fries (lol)....cannot recall seeing these on many menus outside of SoCal--specifically, San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
What are some cities where they have a unique type of food when compared to the rest of the US that is found everywhere throughout the city itself? Like it's really a cultural thing that you can find that food in bakeries, restaurants, gas stations, stands on the street. It's just everywhere and no other city in the US can make that claim.

So yes while Chicago has deep dish, pizza of all types can be found in any city so I wouldn't count that. Nor would I count hot dogs styles. I also don't count foods that are unique to a city but not widely available within that same city, meaning it's not ingrained in the city's culture of every day places everywhere throughout the city. So for example, Jibaritos in Chicago are unique to the city, however, it's not widely available throughout the city. You have to seek out places that sell jibaritos and outside of the Puerto Rican neighborhood and a handful of Puerto Rican restaurants outside that neighborhood, finding places to get jibarito are not a lot.

For example:

Miami - Guava/Cheese pastries. You'll have an easier time finding a pastelito de guayaba y queso in Miami than you do finding pancakes, donuts, hot dogs, burgers and even big chain fast food places. As a Puerto Rican where we eat this, I love that it's so widely available everywhere you go here. Even in Chicago where I grew up, where there is a large Puerto Rican population and neighborhood, getting pastelitos de guayaba y queso you have to really search out for it in the city. Here in Miami pastelitos de guayaba y queso (or any solo guava pastry) are sold everywhere. No other city in the US can make that claim.

Chicago - Giardiniera Peppers. This is something I miss from Chicago are the giardiniera peppers. When I once ate a Subway (don't judge me) in Cleveland and wanted giardiniera peppers on my sandwich, I was shocked to find out that they don't carry those peppers. It was soon there that I learned that Chicago is really the only city that giardiniera peppers are used so much and widely available in. From Subway, to Potbelly sandwiches, to it being used on Italian Beef to pizza toppings, I had grown up thinking that those peppers were just a way of life in most cities, but learned that really in Chicago it's the only place where it's used so extensively and so readily available in restaurants and shops.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:58 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,091,555 times
Bagels - NJ/NY.

Go anywhere else and you could throw them through a window they are so rock hard.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:15 AM

21,669 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Scrapple in Philly and Bmore.
Berger cookies and Pit Beef in Bmore.
Fluff in Massachusetts.
Apizza New Haven/CT (now RI and MA)

Old 11-10-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
for Miami I would probably add Stone Crabs....while I have had them in Vegas (at Piero's), that is not an item one finds in the vast majority of US cities. Never saw Stone Crabs on the menu in CA or NY, among other places.

Carne asada fries (lol)....cannot recall seeing these on many menus outside of SoCal--specifically, San Diego.
Hmmmm I will have to try the carne asada fries one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.